Big Score! Books at the Flea Market

skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

We attended the annual Chelsea Market last weekend. This one day event takes place in a quaint village and is well attended by people all over the state and beyond. Two village

Greens are filled with vendors selling antiques, high-end hand made items like blown glass, home spun wool and wool items, wood crafts such as burl bowls, farm made cheeses and the like.

By far my favorite though is the Library book sale just adjacent to the Green. I got there about midpoint of the sale so still plenty of time. Great prices for books - .50 cents for paperback and

$1 for hardcovers. As I was just starting to make my selections for purchase an announcement came telling us that from then until the end of the sale all books are $1.00 per box or bag.

Most of you here likely have read and/or own most of these books but for me they are all new reads. Here’s what I got for my dollar:

The Hotel New Hampshire – John Irving

The Shadow of the Wind – Carlos Ruiz Zafon

A Treasury of Bird Lore – Kutch & Eriksson (editors)

Angle of Repose – Wallace Stegner

Red Harvest and The Maltese Falcon – Dashiell Hammett

Pilgrim at Tinker Creek – Annie Dillard

Flipped – Wendelin Van Draanen

The Quilters Apprentice and The Master Quilter – Jennifer Chiaverini

Running With Scissors – Augusten Burroughs

The Odds – Stewart O’Nan

Quite a year for Plums – Bailey White

The Second Confession (Nero Wolfe) – Rex Stout

How DH ever fit all those in a single tote – including 19 DVDs – is beyond me. Just so you know, I did give them $2.00 because it really should have been two bags. But technically I only spent $1.00.

Not bad, I say. The only one unfamiliar to me is Quite a Year for Plums. Anyone know this one?

So how about you – any scores for you lately?

SaveComment12Like2
Comments (12)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annpanagain

Yes! Two HUGE Bryce Courtnay books for $1 each from the library discards rack for my D.

I could have bought a bag for $5 but couldn't see anything else I wanted.

Your score was magnificent, did you take off your sweater and wave it around? :-)

Save     Thanked by skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
kathy_t

That was a good day's work, Skibby!

carolyn_ky

Quite a haul!

sheri_z6

Fantastic haul! Our local library stopped doing book sales a couple of years ago and I miss them so much!

woodnymph2_gw

What a great selection! Stegner's "Angle of Repose" is a true classic and one of my favorites.

netla

I love finding book bargains. Unfortunately, the pickings around here have been slim lately. The charity shop where I get many of my books has stopped accepting mass market paperbacks older than about 5 years, and has drastically cut down on accepting all older paperbacks. No more finding old pulp paperbacks with deliciously lurid covers (I collect those) or picking up a whole series of detective novels from the "for free" bin (like I did with Ngaio Marsh's Roderick Alleyn series). I do still occasionally find books I want, generally hard-cover editions and coffee-table books on various subjects, but they raised the prices on those. I do, however, usually come out of there with 2-3 books when they have a sale.

Rosefolly

I love Angle of Repose. I think you will like it.

Many years ago I back in the pre-WWW internet days, I was on an all-text internet group called Quiltnet. A young woman named Jennifer Chiaverini started posting. Her husband was a graduate student at my old college (Penn State), and to fill her time she decided to write a novel based on quilt making. She consulted the Quiltnet group for quite some time as part of her research, the group members happily coaching her. In fact I remember answering some of her questions myself. She went on to publish an entire series, and moved on from there to writing biographical historic fiction. I've always felt rather proud of her success, almost as if I had been her mentor (which of course I was not!)

skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

Rosefolly - that is so cool!

Save    
carolyn_ky

I have several quilts hand made by my mother. One is a queen size that I asked her to make after we switched to a queen-size bed. She and I went to a great fabric store and chose the pieces, and she made a Log Cabin pattern quilt. I sleep under it every night in the summers. (In winter, I prefer an electric blanket.) The others I have are a Dutch Doll, a Lone Star, a Flower Garden, and one I don't know the name of. It is a pattern of four triangles stitched together and set on blocks of white, and the pieces are from scraps of dresses and sunsuits she made for me when I was small. They are all very dear to me.

1 Like Save     Thanked by skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
annpanagain

The Seniorcentre in the city which has all kinds of services (I mostly use the hairdresser, podiatrist and cafe) sells donated books. Sometimes they get a complete library but that isn't always a blessing! We have had old philosophy and YA books dumped. They rarely get sold and take up space. The bookcases have to be double banked and it is hard to see what is behind the first row, let alone on the lowest shelf!

I know that the donors mean well but the library worker in me itches to cull them!

bigdogstwo

Hi Skibby,

I have plans to get to a book sale this weekend, so I will be back to let you know how I make out! After reading your impressive list, I am even more excited to see what treasures I find!

And if I cannot fill my bag with stuff I want to read, I still grab a few of the popular titles and then drop them off at my hospital's cancer center for patients and their family members who are sitting in the waiting room for them.

PAM

skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

PAM - what a nice idea. I'll adopt it.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Accessories How to Really Score at the Flea Market
To snag the best deals from arrival to departure, follow these tried and true guidelines from an insider
Full Story
Decorating Guides Book to Know: 'Flea Market Chic'
Think flea market finds are just old junk not fit for a modern home? If so, it's time for a read and a rethink
Full Story
Antiques Flea Market Find: Vintage Portraits
Pick up some of these original selfies and other portraits on your next weekend scavenger hunt
Full Story