Big Score! Books at the Flea Market
7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (12)
Related Discussions
A New Flea Market Gardening Magazine
Comments (11)OHHHHH....WOW and WOW. I LOVE this! How nice the editors put it online for free viewing. I can't afford the book itself and am so glad I got to see it. I've saved the link. I have FAMOUS friends now!! LOL. Its great seeing some of our gang here featured in this. And about time the world got to see how creative you are! Wooooo Hoooo! And CONGRATULATIONS! So many neat ideas, but the one I want to do ASAP is on pg 61. Getting the cheapy fish globe type vase, filling with pretty glass marbles, turning upside down and gluing to a totem plate. So pretty and easy way to get a colorful "globe" in the garden! I can't wait to make one! Dollar Tree should have fish bowls, and I know they have the marbles. Thank you sooooo much, Kirk. This was wonderful to see. hugs, Karen...See Moreflowers at market
Comments (36)Every market is different and some of them (mine) do not attract high end clients. I sell at a HUGE flea market where most of the customers don't speak English. They come every weekend. They come with money in their pockets. They come to socialize and shop. I love building a relationship with these people and I have to keep in mind the limits of their resources. I try to tailor my product size to the price they will pay rather than force larger, fancier product on them. It seems to work. Every weekend I see new vendors trying to sell some homemade product and getting frustrated with the lack of sales. I try to explain that open-air vending is different, a certain type of person will be coming to this site. They shop for different reasons, they value things differently than most people. What you think will sell may not move at all. If something gathers lots of interest but few sales then it is time to re-evaluate the price but rather than slash the price or raise it drastically, pull the item from the shelves and bring it back next weekend repackaged a different way so that you make money and the customer sees it as a better value. What works for one vendor at one market may not work for another somewhere else....See MoreGriswold Cast Iron.......score!
Comments (13)Great score! I spent a weekend once with some abrasive wheels on my drill, trying in vain to get the cooking surface of a new Lodge cast iron skillet to be as slick as a vintage Wagner. If I paid myself minimum wage, I would have had enough to pay full retail for a Wagner or Griswold. Those vintage items are just plain better. I wish Lodge or some other manufacturer would resurrect the manufacturing techniques or metallurgy or whatever the heck it was, and would start making new items to the standards of yesteryear. If you don't have access to a slick old cast iron skillet, I have found that a heavy carbon steel pan is almost as good: slick as a whistle out of the box, and takes seasoning nicely. I have both Paderno and DeBuyer, and I prefer the Paderno--about half the weight of a Lodge skillet of similar size. Here is a link that might be useful: paderno carbon steel pan...See MoreThis frou-frou Goodwill score totally made my (horrid) day: PICS
Comments (58)Thanks to all. Greenthumbfish, I saw that stencil at Hobby Lobby. I ended up passing on it because the repeat on the pattern was so small. I was afraid it might end up too busy. I wish they would have made a bigger stencil! Parma, I agree with you 100%. I think that day, my stiff upper lip was already starting to quiver b/c of the rest of the chaos I was having to be so strong about. Handling critique and suggestions (albeit harmless and trying to be helpful) that I had not solicited was just more than I could stand, especially when I thought I was pretty clear on the nature of the post. Again, it had nothing to do with the comments, and everything to do with the timing. Sometimes you just can't hear how you can be "better", especially when as you explained, "better" is so subjective to personal style. I will remember your words, though, and will make sure to laugh at myself as I count my accessories! Puna, I have to say I'm pretty dismayed as well. For the life of me, I can't figure out how removing those comments was necessary or helpful. (Yours and several others, including some of mine!) Ugh. LaFonda, yes, my stomach went into knots when the property manager called and said I needed to get over there immediately because water was "everywhere". I thought he was exaggerating. He wasn't. Ugh again. Joanie, I don't think I'll stop, but I think I may definitely change how I post photos. This post has served as very clear reminder of how some people think, and knowing I can't change that, all I can do is change how much of it I set myself up for. Patty, you got the whole point of the post; I was delighted to find something so pretty when I was going through something so horrid. Thanks for "getting it."...See More- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

ACCESSORIESHow to Really Score at the Flea Market
To snag the best deals from arrival to departure, follow these tried and true guidelines from an insider
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESBook to Know: 'Flea Market Chic'
Think flea market finds are just old junk not fit for a modern home? If so, it's time for a read and a rethink
Full Story
ANTIQUESFlea Market Find: Vintage Portraits
Pick up some of these original selfies and other portraits on your next weekend scavenger hunt
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESFlea Market Finds: Demijohns Around the Home
Once purely functional, now decorative, these bottles are worth the hunt
Full Story
VINTAGE STYLEFlea Market Find: Vintage Signs
Get the skinny on finding a vintage sign just right for your space
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESWhat to Look for at the Flea Market Now
Find a Great Old Clock, Camera, Portrait, Chair or Globe and It's Your Lucky Day
Full Story
VINTAGE STYLEFlea Market Find: Steamer Trunks
The onetime travel staple today sees stay-at-home use as table, storage and seat
Full Story
VINTAGE STYLEFlea Market Find: Vintage Ladders
You can use them to hang linens, stack plants and add rustic charm to a room
Full Story
VINTAGE STYLEFlea Market Find: Apple Crates
If life gives you apples, reuse the vintage crates they came in to decorate your home
Full Story
COLLECTIONSFlea Market Find: Brass Creatures Warm Up the Room
Work some classic bling into your home with these 10 ideas
Full Story
carolyn_ky