SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_smith6227819

For those with gardens

Kathsgrdn
4 years ago

What are you harvesting? How is your garden doing? Mine was planted a little late this year due to all the rain and just not having the right days off. I planted two tomatoes: some giant sized cherry tomato and Brandywines. I finally got a ripe cherry tomato and it's not the best tasting one I've ever had. Pretty bland for a cherry tomato. They're huge and I wonder if that's why they aren't really that great tasting? I can't remember what the name was, bought them from a home nursery that was in front of these people's house, just a few tables set up with plants for sale really. Brandywines are being eaten by caterpillars and some look like they have blossom-end rot. Bought some organic bug spray today and some lime. Had a huge Brandywine the other day that was still green but had a caterpillar eating away on it.

I have one summer squash plant that's doing okay. A bunch of okra that is starting to really produce now. The last thing I have is Sugar Baby watermelon. 3 plants. They finally have blossoms so I might get a melon or two. I had stopped buying watermelon in the stores a few years ago except when I was really craving them. Always seemed to be a disappointment, not ripe, overripe, etc.... This year I've bought several, mostly at Save A Lot and they have been so good. The last one I got was from Trader Joe's which wasn't quite as good/sweet.

I'm saving containers and milk carton bottoms to start seeds in next Winter. I haven't started seeds in years now. I miss it. I miss the unique and new-to-me varieties I would find in seed catalogs that you can't get in stores. I have some old seeds I'm going to try and germinate....especially my favorite old cherry tomato. How's your garden growing and are you harvesting anything yet?

Comments (17)