SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_784937324

moisture/water in basement

HU-784937324
4 years ago

We're well into a gut-renovation and expansion of our 1920's colonial, and we've run into a moisture issue in the basement. Hoping someone out there can help us out!

In the early part of the renovation, our contractor ripped out some old raised/elevated wood flooring in the basement, exposing the original concrete floor. We were told that the elevated wood flooring was there to minimize issues if there was ever flooding in the basement.

Our contractor thought it would be fine to place tile directly on the concrete floor. In the winter months during our renovation, we did not have any obvious moisture issues. A few weeks ago in June, our contractor went down to the basement and noted that the entire tile floor was covered in drops of moisture, and mold had started to grow all over all 4 walls of drywall. I don't think we had any cracks in the concrete floor or cracks in the foundation itself. There were no large puddles, just beads of moisture all over the tile floor.

Of note, we also have a new 3-story addition on new foundation, which extends the square footage of the original basement. The original basement is where all the moisture is. The new addition to the basement is dry.

Our contractor says he has never seen this before. He spoke with our HVAC person, as well as someone supposedly familiar with waterproofing homes. The consensus is that it does not seem like we have a crack or leak in the foundation or floor, but this might be due to poor drainage under the original basement itself, leading to condensation.

From what I'm reading online, rather than condensation, it seems more likely that this is due to water evaporating through the porous concrete slab floor.

It seems that my options include:

-Improving the drainage around the house (making sure the grade is accurate, placing french drains?)

-Installing subflooring to elevate the floor

-Installing some kind of vapor barrier

-Commercial grade dehumidifier

I'd very much appreciate your thoughts! What do you think we should do? And please be gentle--I'm a first-time homeowner with zero baseline knowledge about these things. Thank you!

Comments (13)