SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dtrinh400022

Need help on how to repair a flagstone step (pictures included)

Dave T
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I am a complete newbie when it comes to cement/mortar work but I am used to doing alot of DIY around my house. I have a flagstone walkway and stone steps laid on top of brick that go up to my front door. the two stone steps have gotten very loose and one has completely broke loose. I removed it and placed it on the floor so that it doesn't fall and crack. I've seen several youtube videos on how this repair can be done. I've seen people suggesting that landscaping adhesive would be enough, but I suspect that is not the "correct" way to do it. I've also seen the quickrete quick repair kit used.

But I think the correct way is to lay down mortar, level it out and then place the stones on top of them. The stone on the left is also loose so I will probably remove that as well and re-do both at the same time to make leveling a little bit easier. I am also overwhelmed and confused about what product to buy. There are so many permutations of concrete mix and mortar at the store that I have no idea what i need in my application. I currently purchased two 60 lb bags of quickrete mortar. But the guy at lowes told me to use portland cement, others say to use the quick repair, etc. What is correct to use in my case?

Can i just clean up whatever loose cement/mortar that's there, lay mortar on top of the existing surface and place the stone back on top? Or do I have to chisel away everything? I would like to do this job correctly so I can learn a thing or two as well. Is this also a job that may be better off paying someone to do? I have a feeling that I would be charged upwards $500+ from a professional to do this work. I had asked someone to repair some cracking joints on my walkway and got some crazy quotes.

https://imgur.com/a/hQDyMl6

Comments (12)