SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juddjonas

Faint black spots on butternut squash leaves

juddjonas
4 years ago

Hello,

This is my first year growing any kind of squash. I'm in zone 5b. It's been a challenge to say the least. My two butternut squash plants are huge and sprawling with about 10 squash getting larger by the day but it's come with difficulties. First, many of the leaves and stems toward the base of the plant started yellowing and shriveling up into a black crisp. I've determined that to be squash bugs because I did see a few. I started with neem oil and diatomaceous earth. I still get some yellow leaves but it seems to have slowed down. I also kept noticing the black and yellow striped cucumber beetles mostly inside new blossoms. I put out yellow sticky traps and the neem oil seemed to have reduced their numbers. I've also mechanically removed both insects. I even relocated a couple of daddy long legs into the area of my squash plants hoping he/she would help me out. I'm not sure if they stuck around or not. Can you train spiders?

Now, just this morning, I noticed these faint black spots on my squash leaves. It doesn't look like downy mildew or maybe this is the start of it? I thought maybe the cucumber beetles transmitted bacterial wilt but I haven't seen any wilting. Maybe this is the beginning? Can anyone help me diagnose these faint black spots?

Any other tips on growing winter squash are welcome. It would be such a shame to lose all these squash growing. I'll have a nice crop if I can get these plant to last me another couple months.

Thank you!

J

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz