SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
masi61_gw

butternut squash question

masi61
16 years ago

This is my first year for growing butternut squash and one plant has done very well. Almost too big. I have about 7 large squash that look almost ready to be picked. They are turning a pale yellow color but still have green lines down the sides.

Do I wait for the green lines to go away completely? Do the squashes just keep on growing if I don't pick them?

Also, could someone answer about the shelf-life of a butternut squash? Are these best used within a few days of picking or can they sit around for a week or two and still be alright?

Thanks, and BTW: I read here that Butternut Squash is resistant to Squash Vine Borers (SVB's) and this most definitely must be true. You see, right next to the butternut squash I had a huge healthy Cucumber plant that was covered with blossoms, fruit and thick, dark green leaves. It fell ill, then the stem just broke off when I checked it. Little black worm-like bugs (I assume SVB's) were infesting the stem making it look like swiss cheese. I was so mad....next year I'll have a new pest to try to thwart.

Comments (8)