SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_495880120

Ideas? Unbalanced Front Porch Fixtures

Hou 2009
4 years ago

The electrician installed exterior fixture plates on each side of our front door but at unequal distances. The front door is a single-type, no side-windows. There's a perpendicular wall to the right of the door, maybe a foot from the trim. To the left is a row of windows. Both fixtures were installed on center. So on the right, about 6-8 inches center between the door trim and the wall. On the the left, about 12-18 inches on center between the door trim and the next window farther down. The builder said it was done purposefully, but I haven't seen many (or any) doors with offset, asymmetrical flanking light fixtures. What to do? I think the best answer is to ask our builder to remove the plate on the right - it's close to the wall to have a fixture anyway. But it could be expensive to remove it because that hole would need to be patched. And I don't know what they would do with the electrical then that was placed there. If we install a small-ish light fixture on the right, it'll look odd on the left with so much room. And of course a nice, large fixture that looks balanced on the left between the door and window wouldn't even fit on the right. Has this happened to anyone before? Any creative ideas? TIA!

Comments (11)