SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jen_schaffner

Help me decide what to do with wood trim!

Jen S
4 years ago

Hi, all. This is my first post and I am so excited to get some help with our mountain house renovation. We originally assumed we would paint all of the wood trim in this house white. The walls are already white and we are keeping them that way. This would also involve painting all of the doors, which are slab/flat doors with no panels or molding on them. We are planning to change the door hardware to black.

Today I was speaking with a decorator friend about painting the trim and she advised against it. She thinks wood trim like this is ok in a mountain house and might tie together the rustic log beam in the house, rustic log railing on the deck and wood stained cabinets, which we have no plans to replace right now.

What do you all think? Is white always the way to go, or is this a case where the wood trim might be ok as is? We are already replacing the flooring with vinyl planks (that look like wood), doing new carpet, countertops and remodeling the fireplace and some bathrooms, so there is already quite a bit going on. Should we make those changes and see how it looks? Paint some of the trim but not all of it? Just replace the flat/slab doors?

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

-Jen

Living room:

Living room looking into dining area:

Kitchen (with log post on right side). Keeping cabinets as is, but we're doing white quartz countertops

Comments (14)