SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
therhythmman

St. Augustine Sod Issues

Ryan Farrell
4 years ago

We live in Zone 9b, near Rancho Cucamonga/Fontana and have had nothing but trouble with this tiny patch of grass.

First, our landscaper put in Marathon III Fescue sod, which didn't last long before drying out and succumbing to the infestation of weeds. Of course at the time, we were assured it was the correct type of grass for our climate/zone. I learned otherwise in this forum shortly after the issue with fescue in this area.

Then, last fall my father in law, who is an outspoken advocate for St. Augustine v. Fesue, paid some unknown gardener to "redo" the lawn. Which entailed digging up of all weeds and remaining fescue, treat the soil, then lay St. Augustine sod. Which was in late fall, in November, which I thought was odd.

Not even a month later we noticed discoloration and drying, but I figured it was standard St. Augustine dormancy. But we're in July now, and it's still looking pretty bad. Compared to our backyard St. Augustine, which is green and thriving.

I've done the tuna can test to make sure its getting enough water, and watering once every 2-3 days.

Any suggestions?

Comments (15)