They found a body

Kathsgrdn

that they think is Savannah Spurlock. I mentioned her in another post recently. They've arrested someone also. I'm glad her family will now know where she is. https://www.lex18.com/ksp-officers-at-home-in-garrard-county-related-to-savannah-spurlock-disappearance

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Olychick

I am also glad for her family to at least know, but also it's got to be really hard to know for sure.

Similarly, in a woman's disappearance case in my area, there was also a big breakthrough today, after TEN years of not knowing what happened to a woman, someone was arrested and I hope they locate her body. He turned himself in, but is now trying to recant.
https://komonews.com/news/local/man-arrested-in-2009-cold-case-was-former-coworker-of-victim

It's unbelievable how many women go missing each year, the victims of foul play.

Save    
blfenton

In 1987 a young Victoria couple, 18 and 20 years old, took the ferry across to Bellingham for some camping and soon after their murdered bodies were discovered. The case went cold but the Bellingham police never, ever gave up.

Through a DNA site and technology and age progression of a person of interest they finally arrested a man last year and he was found guilty of murder last month. DNA sites and this technology weren't available in 1987 but because of the dogged determination of the police and ability of the technology that became available to them they were able to make an arrest.

The two families are so pleased with the outcome and the efforts.

Say what you will about the police sometimes but the vast majority of them fight and work hard for the victims and the families

4 Likes Save    
Kathsgrdn

It really is sad and scary out there for especially young people. My daughter messaged me last night because on her way to work, she was outside her apartment getting into her car when a crew of construction workers were leering at her and a friend. They wouldn't stop staring and pointing at them. Made them feel very uncomfortable. My daughter was the same age of Savannah when she disappeared. The news keeps say she was 23 but she never made it to that age. There is another woman in Bardstown that has been missing for a few years now. They've never found her but suspect her boyfriend. Her father was later shot in the woods, which was very strange too. Another sad mystery for that family.

Save    
maifleur01

If you look at most of the recent discoveries most of the people were killed by someone they knew. While you still need to be aware of strangers like the construction crew like "Stranger Danger" for younger people the fear of strangers is out of proportion with the real danger which is someone you know.

2 Likes Save    
bob_cville

I volunteered in the search for a missing female college student here at the University of Virginia several years ago, at the time I also started reading a forum related to that missing person case as well as many others around this area and around the country.

Eventually in that case the student was found, dead, and the person responsible was arrested and convicted of that murder. He was also tied to another abduction and murder in this city and a previous rape elsewhere in Virginia by DNA evidence.

He had been a college football player who was quietly expelled from one college for a rape, and he transferred to another college's team where he was quietly kicked off the team for another reported rape. At the second college while he was there, there were several other instances of women going missing that have yet to be solved.

The most recent news I have heard about this case is that the perpetrator has been diagnosed in prison with cancer. I hope it is a protracted, awful, unendurably painful path ahead for him.

1 Like Save    
Kathsgrdn

Bob, that's awful. I've thought for a long time that rapist will eventually kill because they won't want to get caught. Makes me angry when they give a rapist such a light sentence or a slap on the hand.

Save    
socalnolympia

Of course, on the other hand, if they know the sentence will be lighter they may be less likely to kill. But perhaps more likely to rape.

Sounds like a bit of a trade-off.

Save    
graywings123

I don't think the thought processes of most rapists are that evolved.

2 Likes Save    
yeonassky

Maybe their thought processes aren't advanced but perhaps when close to getting caught their instinct for survival is turned on to high. Sometimes that's all it takes for them to become a killer I believe.

We have these people in our society. It would be nice to

1. catch them before they start and treat them somehow even though I don't know how.

2. not have the things happen that happen to rapists serial rapists and serial murderers to turn them twisted so badly.

There is a lot of evidence that a rapist will turn to other violent crimes if they are medically castrated so that is no answer either.

Many people stop doing crime as they age but I'm not sure that pedophiles and seriel or otherwise rapists fall into that category.

I also read that highly narcissistic criminals like rapists are not successfully treated in therapy unless it is pointed out that on being caught the punishment won't serve them. They are very self interested and very involved in keeping their freedom. I I think this goes back to survival instinct.

Warning the below link has descriptions of crimes. I skipped that over but that's just me.

In this chapter from a book in 2014 they are saying that serial rapists do not murder as part of their crime in general. Serial murderers do rape but they don't kill to hide their crime. That is not their motivation it's another thing.

They also say that rape is not the motivation for rapists serial or otherwise. I'm not sure I really understand what the motivation is. Maybe they don't either.

The scariest part seems to be that serial rapists do not have really clear profiles. No common thread. Plus the law people are not sharing information well! They are only caught by evidence. Let's hope they are not that smart compared to some of the serial murderers

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/social-sciences/serial-rape

Robert Greene argues on this Google talk that we are all on a sliding scale of narcissism therefore any of us could be totally self-serving and murdering in the right circumstance.

He argues that our parents try to teach us to be angelic but lots of people don't have parents teaching them that or are always belittling them or they miss that memo. He is talking about any mental illness being on the sliding scale. Not sure of his credentials for saying that but that's his argument.

He wants us to see that we are on a sliding scale so that we don't do an us-and-them kind of thing. Not sure how that would help our situations but it's an interesting thought to me.

https://youtu.be/KcaVhMt71qE

Save    
joyfulguy

I think for many it's an issue of wanting power and control, to force degradation on someone.

ole joyful

Save    
tete_a_tete

Yes, it is said that rape is not about sex, but about power.

Save    

Related Stories

Features You Won't Believe What These Homeowners Found in Their Walls
From the banal to the downright bizarre, these uncovered artifacts may get you wondering what may be hidden in your own home
Full Story
Fun Houzz One Guy Found a $175,000 Comic in His Wall. What Has Your Home Hidden?
Have you found a treasure, large or small, when remodeling your house? We want to see it!
Full Story
Decorating Guides Better Your Bed (and Body) With Bolsters and Neck Rolls
Get physical support and decorative elements for your bed in one fell swoop with long, tubular pillows artfully arranged
Full Story
Houzz Call Ever Found or Left a Note in the Wall the Way This Couple Did?
The remodeling couple whose note from previous homeowners went viral tell us about their fun find. What’s yours?
Full Story
Remodeling Guides Bath Design: Renew Body and Mind With Colorful Light
By JW
Take one tired, stressed-out self. Rinse in a shower bathed in blue light (or any color you like). Repeat
Full Story
Decorating Guides 6 Ways to Cool Off Without Air Conditioning
Turn off that cash-guzzling, energy-hogging A/C — these methods of cooling your home and your body are cheaper and kinder to the planet
Full Story
Fun Houzz Houzz Call: Does Your Home Have a Hidden Message?
If you have ever left or found a message during a construction project, we want to see it!
Full Story
Bedrooms How to Create a Joyful, Clutter-Free Bedroom
Follow these steps to set up a calm and beautiful space that restores the body, mind and spirit
Full Story
Gardening Guides A California Dream Garden Brings Healing and Wholeness
John Calhoun was looking for a place to rest. Instead, he found a new life and a lasting passion for plants and nature
Full Story