SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kat_wttl

Oh No! predator in the pond!

Kathleen W
18 years ago

Someone has struck again. A few years ago, we actually saw a great blue heron feeding from our pond. We never saw any carcasses. I'm assuming they flew away with them.

This morning, DH found 2 bodies on the edge of our in ground pond with their heads eaten off. It had to be something strong to pull it out because the largest was an 8" fish with a plump comet X fantail body style, guessing 1 lb ? Arghh, was a tri-color beauty with fancy tail too :(

I know we have these predators in our area as we've seen them: swainson/black/harris/redtail hawks, herons, bobcat, coyote, great horned owls. In looking at the possibilities, I see Coati and Badgers are also here in AZ as well as Osprey which are exclusively fish eaters. But it seems like a hungry predator would carry it off to eat the whole thing or at least eat more than the head.... We don't have stray domestic cats out here for obvious reasons.... I also wonder if this could have happened at dawn or just after - dh was up and about, inside and outside a few times, but not sitting out there babysitting the pond. So obviously nocturnal predators but maybe also a diurnal predator could be to blame. Our quite alert dogs never made a ruckus over an intruder either....

Obviously we are covering the pond with shade screen from here on until we figure out what is fishing in it. Does anyone have any experience here in the foothills (2000' elevation with thick desert vegetation, light development/acre+ lots) like this? Anyone know which is the most likely predator suspect to have left the bodies on the side of the pond like that? I just keep coming back to seeing owls and hawks carrying large snakes and rabbits in flight, so I want to rule them out. Who knows...

We could not find tracks (no wonder with no rains and such dry ground). It would help to know what we are battling.... dh said we need to get a video cam but that is just a little too much.

Appreciate any ideas about ID'ing the murderer!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting