SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
instar8

Chicken fever / predator concerns

instar8
17 years ago

Oh, I got it bad...chicken fever, that is, and I've been lurking like crazy here since there's such a fun bunch of chicken fanciers about.

Funny how many other collective terms just don't work with "chicken"...chicken-heads, chicken lovers, chicken people....chicken addicts....I think the Far Side has something to do with creating a strange mental picture for each of those word pairs.

ANYWHO...

I really want to start a free-roaming flock this spring, I have three acres, affectionately known as "Thistledew", plenty of grass and a big garden.

My biggest concern is predators. I've spotted foxes, there are lots of hawks and even when I lived in town I had an owl carry off a pet duck! There are also the biggest, nastiest coons i've ever seen, a couple weeks ago one actually came up and clawed at the sliding glass door in the night, seemingly trying to antagonize my 55-lb dog.No, I didn't let her out, last time she tangled with one, I had an $80 vet bill.

So I've been reading that the chickens are good about going back into their coop at night, but in the summer it doesn't get dark here til nearly 10PM (thanks to our gov'nor putting us into the wrong time zone) and at least 3 nights a week i have to leave by 5:30P for work.

Can you set a chicken's clock to go to bed early? Like by feeding them everyday in their coops at 5? I thought about electric fencing, but that doesn't stop hawks. I could cover a run with net or shade cloth, but that limits the size of a fenced yard.

Speaking of which, are red-tailed hawks big enough to kill chickens? I have one that dive bombs my bird feeders all the time, and i've seen them get rabbits.

Any suggestions on convincing chooks to go to bed in the middle of the afternoon? i'd have a hard time concentrating at work if I'm worrying about my flock being attacked if I can't secure them before I leave.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Lynn

Comments (21)