SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kpsherwin

Suggestions for privacy border between houses - zone 5b

kpsherwin
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

My neighbor and I just took down a row of scrappy trees between our houses. Many were unhealthy and a few were leaning toward my house so they had to go. We'd like to plant a new border between the houses for both privacy and asthetics. Our houses are, I'd estimate, about 60-70 feet apart so we'd like the bed to be about 20 feet wide and about 70 feet long. There is a young maple tree at one end and an older oak tree at the other (roughly 90 feet between them). We estimate both trees will need to come down in about 10-15 years due to their current size and proximity to the house. We're thinking we'd plan the bed to start and end about 10 feet from each tree. Here is what I've been considering:

Existing maple tree, 10' grass, start of bed, cluster of shrubs (maybe varigated weigela), three baby blue spruces, cluster of shrubs (maybe nishiki willow), end of bed, 10' grass, oak tree.

The landscaper I was talking to suggested 3-4 Colorado blue spruces, but I think they'll be too big in 15 years and we'll be starting over again. I'd rather go with one of the smaller varieties. Since I'm trying to cluster in odd numbers, I also thought of maybe adding a norway spruce at the end of the blues for some variation in size and color. Any thoughts or suggestions? Pardon the poor photos below. I was standing up against my house for the weird panoramic one, and by the maple for the other. Both are facing my neighbor. Also, I'm zone 5b and in a heavy deer area. Thanks so much!

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting