SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Travel Planning Tips

IdaClaire
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Do you have any? If so, please share them here! As many of us enjoy traveling (and summer months often have people "on the go"), I thought surely there's at least some level of expertise here that could benefit us all. Also, what type of planner are you? Long-range and highly-detailed, or do you prefer spontaneous trips and making decisions on the fly?

I like to think I'm pretty adept at planning. It's been part of what I do professionally for many years, but when it comes time for me to pay out of my own pocket, sometimes I'm a little less certain of my options and best bets. Occasionally I travel on air miles, but most often purchase flights directly from the airlines. I am never sure if there's a better/best place to find flight routes (especially when "creative" connections are involved), or best pricing. There doesn't ever seem to be much rhyme or reason to any of it. What are your experiences?

I have heard that it's best to book directly with a hotel vs. using third-party sites, as in case of any issue arising, you must deal with the third-party site directly, not the hotel. I can see how this could become frustrating. Again, any experiences or advice in this regard?

I am a long-range planner, and have our vacations booked through summer 2020. Sounds so far in the future, but it'll be here before we know it, and when I find something (particularly accommodations, such as properties through VRBO or Airbnb), I tend to book very early and request a discount from the owner -- something that's never failed to deliver.

Would love to hear what works for you.

Comments (12)