SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forever_now

Will two different colored primers show under light colored paint?

Forever Now
4 years ago

I just painted our bedroom with Sherwin-Williams fast drying oil based primer. I put some samples of different colors on the wall. I have chosen the lightest one, its an older SW color called Tibetian Sky, a very, very pale blue. I don't have any more of the original primer so I painted over the darker sample spots with some Glidden Gripper I had on hand, but it is a much brighter white then the oil based primer, so I have patches of bright white and now I'm wondering if you'll be able to see the difference under the pale paint? If I did some extra coats of paint on those spots will it hide the difference or will there be patches where the paint looks different? I really don't want to have to buy more of the expensive primer and deal with the fumes for a couple of patches, but I don't want a splotchy wall either.

In a similar vein, SW only does their samples in Satin, and I'll be using a flat finish. Will any of the paint with the satin sheen show through the flat topcoat? I could put that over the bright patches before doing the whole wall. I know from painting an identical room that one gallon is enough if I'm not wasteful.

(If you're wondering why I used oil-based primer, and flat finish, it's because I painted over wallpaper, its on paneling and this is just a temporary fix until we can drywall. Even though we will eventually drywall, that could be years down the road (our house renovations list is long) and I want it to look as nice as possible until then.)

Comments (3)