Was not about to go to car in all that!

glenda_al

Was 93 until the rain came and now it's down to 76 and luckily the rain has stopped for now.

Enjoyed brunch at The Village Tavern, nearby restaurant, with son and DIL then stopped by Fresh Market and got stuck inside till it stopped.

How's your day and weather?

SaveComment24Like1
Comments (24)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bpath Oh Sophie

Exterior front of house · More Info

Oh, my, come visit us on Lake Michigan! After a few hot days, today it’s in the low 70s, sunny, lower humidity (just a bit humid but not uncomfortable). DH and I went for a 4-mile walk along the lake bluff, just beautiful. Lots of wild stuff blooming with all the rain this year.

3 Likes Save    
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

We need that rain here on our little knoll, Glenda. I can see it all around us but the storms seem to part on their approach to us then gather again on the other side.

What did you have for brunch, as I recall their brunch menu is nice.

Save    
chisue

bpath -- Are you near a lake bluff, capital L, capital B, or in Michigan? (I'm western side.) Isn't this a long-awaited *Nice Day*! We have three outdoors repairs delayed over and over due to this rainy Spring/Summer.

Save    
Alisande

It has felt more like the South here the pat few days: hot and steamy. We could use some rain, but like Rhizo I can hear and see the storms but they never quite make it here.

Save    
Andie

Sounds like some in the Gulf Coast may be in for a good bit of rain next week from that tropical storm. .

Save    
lindaohnowga

We usually get your weather coming from Al to GA, Glenda, so I hope we get some of your rain. We really need some. We are currently at 90 degrees with a real feel of 98...hot, hot, hot.

Save    
nicole___

93! That's pretty hot.....and humidity...not comfortable. It's 1pm, 73F right now, chilly all morning.

It poured rain Friday afternoon here....then hail. I hear the roofing companies are canvasing neighborhoods looking for work.

Save    
nickel_kg

After 93, a "cold spell" of 76 is welcome relief -- enjoy it while it lasts!

Around here (Shenandoah Valley, Virginia) I can't complain too much. It's been hot but not stifling. We had 1/2 inch of rain on the 4th (but it let up before the fireworks, yay!), another 1/2 inch yesterday, and may a tenth of an inch an hour ago. Nice gentle rains, the kind that have a chance to soak in. My garden is happy.

bpath, that sounds ideal. I've only been on the Wisconsin side of Lake Michigan but I love it.

Save    
glenda_al

Rain gone, but very humid and temps are climbing. It's up to 86 now.

Save    
bpath Oh Sophie

Chisue, "I'm on your side" lol. We walked along Ft. Sheridan. Absolutely beautiful day. Can't wait for next weekend, I'll head out to the bluff again to see if the Race to Mackinac boats start off up along the western shore, or if they cut across right away.

Save    
happy2b…gw

A very intense storm came through last night. We had an inch of rail in a short time. It has been hot and humid which is typical at this time of year.

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

I think it was a nice day; sunny, temp was around 90, but as the temp climbed, the relative humidity dropped and we had a nice breeze develop. I went for a walk also (4 miles in the neighborhood), mowed and swept the patio. By late afternoon we had a front move through with gray overcast and sprinkle -- so now it is quite breezy and only 78, and sunny again, but feels more humid also.

Save    
Kathsgrdn

Hot and humid here the past few days. Been walking on some of my breaks at work and it's been rough on the asthmatic lungs.

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Much nicer this AM, temp in the 60s (first time in over a week less than mid 70s overnight) and lower humidity. I've got the window open to let in the cool air (feels so good!) and getting the vacuuming done, long delayed because of the heat. My 70+ year old house doesn't get the upstairs cooled well, plus I really don't like an overly cooled house, so I try to avoid running appliances that pump out heat during hot spells.

Save    
sprtphntc7a

UGH, hot and humid here with pop up Tstorms last few days... we don't need the rain!! steady rain now :( Can't wait till Fall and the cooler temps!!

Save    
Chessie

I've never seen so much lightning and heard so much thunder, in my entire life, as I did last night/this morning. It POURED rain. CRAZY. Humid as hell, more pop-up storms called for today.

Save    
adellabedella_usa

We haven't had rain for a few days. That's been nice. i finally took my vehicle to get cleaned. Did more planting and mulching. Dang rabbits and rain combination is making my gardens look awful.

Not sure where that tropical storm is headed. Hoping it doesn't come here.

Save    
bob_cville

A couple of weeks ago as I was getting ready to leave work I heard thunder rumbling and saw the sky growing ominously dark. Luckily a co-worker was leaving at the same time and since she had forgotten her umbrella another co-worker offered to get his car and drive her the 1/2 mile to the parking garage. He was waiting when we emerged from the building and offered a ride to me as well.

As we arrived at the garage the rain was already starting, and by the time I reached my car and was exiting the garage it was pouring. And as I proceeded towards home (about 3.5 miles) it rained harder and harder and harder, until water was geysering up out of manhole covers, hail was pinging off my car hood and roof, and the gutters were a veritable stream. Nearly as quick as it had started it slackened, and when I reached my driveway it was merely a steady drizzle. However as I started down my driveway I saw another vehicle backing out of it. It was a friend who does some work on our farm and he said the driveway was blocked by downed branches and trees. We made our way to a neighbor's house where there is a back way to our place and after cleaning the branches off their driveway was able to get down the partially washed-out gravel drive to make it to our house and (more importantly) or barn where the chain saw and tractor were. In all there were six sizable branches/trees across the driveway, from 4 to 12 inches in diameter. The worst one was almost completely covered with a tangle of oriental bittersweet and poison ivy vines.

Save    
bengardening

Yesterday we wemt to 1880 town and spent about 3 hours there. When we got back to Pierre it was 95. It was hot walking around the ghost town. It didn't cool off much overnight either. I just had to turn on the AC.

Save    
lisa_fla

Here in central FL its been super hot this summer. Temps in the mid 90's. The last 2 weeks have had lots of torrential downpours like your picture. When I let the dog out out this morning the grass was going squish squish. Hope we don't end up with tropical rains on top of all that we've had. I read where ever it makes landfall, after popping out in the gulf could get a foot of rain! 2 weeks ago we took Penny to a dog beach on the east coast of FL so Penny could stick her feet in the Atlantic. It was such a nice day!

Save    
watchmelol

Perfect for me today. High 70s to low 80s. We have a lot of micro climates in the area. Went horseback riding. Windy, warm, but not hot. I actually prefer mid 80s mid day weather in the summer. That way it doesn't get too cold in the evening.

Save    
georgysmom2

I ran into the same experience, Glenda. Played bridge, after which we had a lovely lunch, then went grocery shopping. The sun was shining brightly but it was hot and humid. Went to Walmart, then the ABC store. When I came out of the ABC store (which I was in for 5 minutes at the most just needed some Vermouth for my clam sauce,) it was very dark out. Still had to stop at Aldi's for some lemons, mushrooms, strawberries and a cake mix. it was 5 minutes away and in that five minutes the storm blew in, Thunder, lightening and pouring down rain. It calmed down long enough for me to run in. I would have gotten everything at Walmart but I recently received a blurb on cake mixes I think from TOH and their testers claimed that Aldi's had the best Angel food cake mix.....closest to homemade. DS from Pittsburgh called yesterday and said he had some free days and thought he'd come today for the week so I was scrambling to make meal plans and do some shopping. The downpour lasted about 15 - 20 minutes. It subsided enough to run back to the car and head home. By the time I got home, it was over.

Save    
glenda_al

Heat index is 98 before noon. Bright sunshine. Whew!

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Another nice day without rain. All caught up on the vacuuming now.

When I mowed last I noticed so many mosquitoes flying up from the grass! I mow to 3" and that seems to be enough to attract them to lurk -- plus, the base of the turf is still wet from all the rain we've had, so I fear that they are breeding there. I suppose I need to mow shorter for a few mowings, although that isn't recommended for my tall fescue lawn.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular New Ways to Think About All That Mulch in the Garden
Before you go making a mountain out of a mulch hill, learn the facts about what your plants and soil really want
Full Story
Earth Day What's LEED All About, Anyway?
If you're looking for a sustainable, energy-efficient home, look into LEED certification. Learn about the program and its rating system here
Full Story
Porches Great Design Element Our Grandparents Knew All About: Awnings
This time-tested feature for shading and cooling is enjoying a resurgence
Full Story