SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pipersville_carol_gw

Car fraudulently registered in my name, going to court

Pipersville_Carol
13 years ago

Any advice about this situation would be appreciated:

I was recently notified that my driving license was withdrawn in the state I lived in 10 years ago. Turns out that an 1979 Mercedes registered in my maiden name was ticketed for expired registration in 2007. Since the ticket was unpaid and the court appearance unattended, a bench warrant was issued against me.

I called the ticketing municipality for details, and the car was parked in front of a house I sold in 2000. I can only assume that the people who bought my house (and did own an old black Mercedes) somehow used my identity to register their car. Since the notifications had gone to my former address, I was completely unaware of the situation. They've since lost the house to foreclosure, and I have no idea where they are.

The day after I learned all this, my husband immediately went to the municipality to pay the required bail (!) to lift the warrant, and I now have to attend a court hearing to prove the car wasn't mine.

I'm puzzling about how to do this, and am wondering if I should meet with a lawyer. I can prove my state residency with income tax returns and various bills, but don't know if that's enough.

I've got the VIN number of the ticketed car, but according to Carfax it doesn't have enough digits.

I'm requesting a Motor Vehicles history for myself (from the state I used to live in), to see if any other cars have been fraudulently registered to me.

I've checked my credit report to make sure this identity theft didn't go any further, and thankfully everything is fine.

Any advice??

Comments (12)

Sponsored
More Discussions