Waterproof Mascara Remover

chisue

I accidentally bought waterproof mascara. It seems to go on better than the non-waterproof, but I don't know how to remove it. Google brought up things with 'micro-something' water, and with oil, and with cream. I don't want 'wipes', just something I can use on a washable cloth or cotton pad. A little help for an old lady, please?

SaveComment42Like
Comments (42)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgysmom2

Baby oil. I use baby oil and baby wipes to remove all make-up. Works for me. You can use baby oil and tissues, too or a cotton pad.

Save    
bpath Oh Sophie

Micellar water is my new makeup remover. it does a great job. I put it on a cosmetic pad and wipe. Great stuff and not expensive, I got it at Target.

Save    
Andie

I use baby oil too.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I find vaseline works best for me.

1 Like Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I use Cinique's Take the Day Off makeup remover. It takes off anything, waterproof or not.

1 Like Save    
Raye Smith

I've always used waterproof mascara (Almay) and recently bought a new tube that I though was the same. It was gloppy going on and wouldn't come off with my make-up wipes I'd removed mascara with for years. I ended up buying a bottle of makeup remover and then switching to a different brand (Neutrogena). Problem solved.

Save    
OutsidePlaying

I love Take the Day Off. A little dab will do ya! Both for your mascara and on your face if you have on some makeup.

Save    
glenda_al

ditto vaseline

Save    
Fun2BHere

This is what I use and it's available at most drug stores.

3 Likes Save    
chisue

Why, thank you! That was *quick*! I have vaseline and mineral oil on hand -- can try those first.

Save    
chisue

Oops! I wasn't sure if mineral oil and baby oil were the same thing, so I looked it up. (They are the same, but baby oil has fragrance added.) Then I saw a "Clean Cosmetics" blog where someone says not to use either one because mineral oil it is petroleum product and a carcinogen. An option listed was olive oil. OK, another thing I have on hand!

Save    
arkansas girl

Any oil that's non-irritating will take it off. I tend to like Neutrogena type remover because I find that oil makes me see blurry for a while, others don't seem to have this problem. My sister has always used baby oil for hers, without issue.

Save    
mdln

Save    
Raye Smith

Fun2B that's what I bought when I couldn't get the new mascara off. I made sure it was the fragrance free version.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Anglophilia

Another fan of Vasoline!

Save    
Jasdip

Speaking of Vaseline, a g/f won't touch anything with petroleum/petrolatum, etc in her makeup or lip gloss. She was horrified that I had a tub of vaseline that I use on my lips. We then looked for some chapsticks type things and they all had petrolatum in them.

I've also noticed some 'flavours' of moisturizing lotions having Vaseline in them as an extra moisturizer. I didn't buy any. Oil of Olay, I think.

Save    
georgysmom2

I'm 82....been using Johnson & Johnson baby oil since I was a teenager. Doesn't get much cheaper.

Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

I love Lancome's mascara remover that comes in the LIGHT blue bottle. I dip a Qtip in it and remove the makeup around my eyes.

1 Like Save    
lovemrmewey

I'm with you, sheilajoyce_gw!

Save    
cat_mom

Best eye makeup remover IMO is Makeup Forever’s Sens’Eyes. It’s gentle on the eyes but very effective at removing even stubborn eye makeup.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Coconut oil. It's not the edible kind. It's a cosmetic version that stays fluid.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I've tried oils to remove mascara but found it always got in my eye and created an unpleasant film temporarily...I don't have that with vaseline.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Re mascara...I got mascara primer and *love* it. It makes my lashes so much thicker and longer. Great stuff. Thought I'd mention it.

Save    
chisue

OK, Annie, let's hear about the primer! My lashes have become LONG, but not LUSH.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I got one from Clinique, but I'm sure there are others. You apply before the mascara. I figure, if I can prime a wall before I paint it because the prep work is what matters, then why can't I do the same with my lashes?

Save    
Chi

Micellar water is the best thing ever for removing makeup. I love it. I don't like having oil around my eyes.

1 Like Save    
terilyn

Another vote for Lancôme here! Been using it for years and I love it.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

And I love not having my face stripped with soaps, etc. Good thing there are loads of choices out there ;) heh

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Only for you guys...same eye without anything, mascara only and then primer first with the same mascara...

1 Like Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Looks great. Do you also do a sealer?

I keep thinking about getting a sealer. I really want to use cake mascara and it's better with a sealer.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

No sealer...just the primer.

I have used tubing mascara and find it useful for when I'm in a situation where I worry more about smudging such as in high humidity. But it weirds me out with the 'spiders' when you remove it...literally the tubes coming off the lashes.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

whoa. I haven't tried that. Think I'll go find a video...well that was interesting. I might have to try that (our dewpoint has every window in teh house and car covered in moisture because it's SO humid right now)

Save    
OutsidePlaying

The tubing mascara was weird to me too. It does require remover to get it off and I didn’t even like the application. Glad I just had a sample and had not invested anything in it.

I have been trying out some other mascaras. So far I have found a couple I sort of like but no real front-runner yet. I keep going back to my old one that is fine, but thought I could find a cheaper one.

Save    
gigirambles

Cold cream should remove the waterproof stuff, I would think. Also, Annie is right about the primer. I think the one I use is Revlon (I'm not sure, but I know it's a drug store brand).

Save    
chisue

rob -- Your link to cake mascara had me reaching for my CC. Not to be...it's out of stock!

My DM used cake mascara and so did I as an older teen. As I remember, cake was superior. You control how much to dilute it. It doesn't dry instantly; you can separate the lashes with the brush. It's no wonder they don't make this; one cake could last for years!

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

There's a waiting list for the brown (just email them, as I have). You can still get the black cake mascara, same site. The brown is a, and I totally don't get this, a seasonal color! There is another site that has several colors (edited): Kryolan

Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Now the black is out of stock.

Save    
always1stepbehind

I find my eyes gets a weird film too when using a make up remover for mascara. I recently tried Too Faced Better Than S#x mascara (non waterproof)...I didn't really care for it. DD used it and it make her lashes look amazing. Besides not really impressed on how it made my lashes look, later I had rubbed my eyes and it smudged which I've never had happen before. DD said she likes the mascara, but will go back to drugstore mascara, she gets good results with the cheaper brands.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

The black cake mascara can still be had a Besame.

The brown (or blue and grey, I think) can be had at Kryolan

Save    
chisue

Ack! I like the Kryolan case better than the tin at Besame -- no black there now, either. I'm not familiar with either of these "make-up makers"; anyone ordered from them before?

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Besame brown is back in stock (just got mine!)

https://besamecosmetics.com/products/1920-brown-cake-mascara

Save    
chisue

Thanks for the update, rob.

Save    

Related Stories

Remodeling Guides Convert Your Tub Space Into a Shower — Waterproofing and Drainage
By JW
Step 4 in swapping your tub for a sleek new shower: Pick your waterproofing materials and drain, and don't forget to test
Full Story
Wood How to Remove Water Rings From Wood Tables
You may be surprised by some of these ideas for removing cloudy white water marks from wood surfaces
Full Story
Wall Treatments How to Remove Wallpaper in 4 Steps
Learn the best way to remove wallpaper with only water (and elbow grease) so your next wall treatment will look great
Full Story
Housekeeping The Simple Way to Remove Wax From Candlesticks
Before you make a mess of things, read these easy steps for removing melted wax from your candlesticks
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: Sturdy Enough for a Tsunami
Storms don't scare this Washington state home; breakaway features and waterproof finishes let it weather high winds and waves
Full Story
Upholstery Care Guide: How to Clean Your Patio Cushions
Ready your furniture for spring and summer with these tips for removing sunscreen stains, mildew and more
Full Story
Bathroom Design 3 Shower Sound Systems That Beat Your Clunky Old Radio
Stream music, radio and podcasts — and even take phone calls — right in your shower, with wireless and water-resistant sound systems
Full Story
Showers How to Settle on a Shower Bench
By JW
We help a Houzz user ask all the right questions for designing a stylish, practical and safe shower bench
Full Story
Remodeling Guides Epoxy vs. Cement Grout — What's the Difference?
By JW
Grout is grout, right? Nope. Cement and epoxy versions have different appearances, durability and rules of installation
Full Story
Crystal Blue Aquatics LLC. is a family owned and operated swimming pool company, built on 25 years of experience... Read More