It is time for my check-up...good thoughts please.
7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (35)
Related Discussions
Can you check my plant:container ratios please?
Comments (1)If you go to http://harvesttotable.com/archives.html you will find most if not all of your answers. In addition to all the other information they give you for each veggie, they usually give you the information for container planting that particular veggie. Also, you might consider the vertical strawberry tower made out of PVC pipe for your strawberries. I have no where to hang one so I'm going to mount one between two fence posts (that no longer have fence between them). Enjoy all of your container gardening....See MorePlease check out my rose selections
Comments (15)The size stated by Chamblee's is very conservative for 'Mrs. Dudley Cross' based upon its growth in my garden. By listing it as 3'-6' x 3'-4', that would lead one to believe that it is possible for their specimen to only grow to 3' tall by 3' wide on the lower end of the range. In my experience, that is ridiculous. You would have to prune the crud out of it constantly to keep it that small and in doing so would ruin its natural beauty. My Mrs Dudley Cross is many years old, but I could probably keep it at 6' x 4' IF I pruned it fairly often. The plant would be happier being allowed to grow a little larger than that (after several years of course). It's a fantastic rose, you will love it I'm sure. Try not to crowd it, if you can. Randy...See MoreHave You Checked Out Your Dryer Lint Filter & Vent? Check Out My
Comments (20)Been there, done that...lint is such a HUGE annoyance to my life. We're in a 2nd floor condo where the dryer vent ducting goes to the roof through the attic over 20 feet and several elbows. My husband bought the condo years before we met, and the ducting was clogged after several years. At the time, he decided to disconnect the vent from the duct. The resulting moisture did some damage to the cabinetry (swelling of the particle board, even under layers of oil-based paint). Soon after we married, he decided we needed to fix the problem correctly. He went up into the attic and disassembled the ducting, brought it outside, and blew it out with his air compressor. I pushed some cleaning tool through it as well. We can't be doing this regularly! I mean preferably, never again! So, I had him put a filter -- a gallon paint strainer -- over the dryer vent where it connects to the machine. This clogs every month or so, we pull the machine out, disconnect the vent, clean the strainer, and put it back. This is still an annoying chore, but not the nightmare of dealing with the whole duct run. My husband had a cool idea, that what we need to do is sew a new, longer strainer that tapers to a skinny point, so that even when it clogs at the point, there can still be air flowing past the clogged strainer, and we should be able to go longer between cleanings. We got a new dryer last summer, and pulled the ducting out of the attic to clean it -- but it was already clean as a whistle. So, our secondary filter system has kept the duct run clean for 9 years. I found you can buy secondary lint traps with a door that opens to clean them out, but we don't have room to install the box in our laundry room, and I don't think it would work any better or be easier to clean than our homemade filter. When I redo the floor, I plan to put magic slider thingies under the dryer feet to make it easier to move in and out, plus I won't want to gouge my new floor. I have researched other solutions. People claim that solid metal vent will maintain better airflow than pleated, but I think it will still clog because we need 2 90-degree elbows to get it connected to the duct in the wall. And if it clogs, how do we pull out the machine with a non-stretching vent? If we could move the duct in the wall to match the dryer vent outlet, that would eliminate 2 elbows and would probably help... I also found you can install a secondary fan in the ducting near the exit, increasing the airspeed in long ducts so the lint won't clog. They cost $150-200, but if I never had to clean out the duct run or pull out the dryer to clean my makeshift secondary lint trap ever again, it would be well worth it. I also think that our ducting is leaky somewhere, because rooms on the other side of the wall (our master bath) get crusted with lint all the time. Finding and sealing those leaks would probably improve airspeed some, plus save me tons of work cleaning the lint all the time. I think the additional fan is the way to go. In 2 other areas where we replaced an ineffective low-cfm cheap fan with a high-cfm good one, like the hood over our cooktop, it made an amazing difference, night and day. Here is a link that might be useful: example of dryer duct fan...See MoreCheck out my plan, please!
Comments (4)Just be aware that when you plant tomatoes in such close quarters you will need to prune them heavily to keep them from overtaking the neighboring plants. I keep mine at no more than two stems per plant, while removing all suckers, and I plant them one per square foot and attach them to a trellis. Also, the leaves on squash plants are massive and will most assuredly shade out the surrounding plants within a foot of it, so I would plant shade loving plants next to the squash and remove all the leaves within a foot of the ground to help with air circulation. With that being said, I personally would give each squash plant, especially winter squash such as that pink banana, 4 squares per plant. I just planned out my square foot garden for next year as well, and as soon as I figure out how to load photos I can show you lol...See More
Related Stories

FLOORSChecks, Please! 13 Choices for Checkered Floors
Checkerboard Patterns Go From Casual to Ritzy, From Marble to Grass
Full Story
CEILINGS10 Times When Wallpapering a Ceiling Is a Good Move
Don’t ignore the blank canvas above your head. Wallpaper can transform it into a fabulous feature
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNGood Fences, Good Neighbors — and Good Views
See-through vertical fencing connects a yard with its surroundings while keeping children and pets safely inside
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESHouzz Tour: New York Apartment Redesign Cooks Up Good Looks
A 2-story brownstone unit, once home to fashion and music figures, is remade for newlyweds with a bigger kitchen and a master suite
Full Story
GARDENING AND LANDSCAPINGSoak in the Good Life With Swim-Up Pool Counters
Perching at a poolside bar or even paddling to the front door are all possible with skillful design
Full Story
DINING ROOMSNew This Week: These Dining Rooms Know How to Have a Good Time
You can add some fun to your room decor, whether your taste is traditional, contemporary or something in between
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESThese Clocks Let the Good Times Roll
Wonderful Clocks Keep You In Style and (Usually) On Time
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARDCheck Out These Recipes for Delicious Themed Edible Gardens
It’s garden-planning time! What you grow often inspires meals, but in these cases the reverse is true
Full Story
CONTRACTOR TIPSHow to Check the Quality of a Contractor’s Work
Make sure your remodeler lives up to promises and expectations before you make the hire
Full Story

Rosie