What's your favorite watermelon dish?

Feathers11

I generally don't buy watermelon because I'm not the gambling type... but I have a big one on my kitchen counter. I'm going to use about 1/3 of it to make a watermelon salad with mint and an orange vinaigrette because I have extra oranges I need to use. Another 1/3 I'll slice to eat tomorrow.

But we never get through a whole watermelon without it getting moldy. What are your favorite watermelon recipes?

SaveComment26Like
Comments (26)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Andie

I like watermelon and feta salad.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Feathers11
Feathers11

Thanks, Andie! That's what I'm doing this evening--watermelon, mint, feta, red onion, cucumber and an orange dressing. My family will enjoy that, but I need more ideas.

Save    
chloebud

Love watermelon and feta. Another thought is watermelon salsa that's good with grilled pork, fish, chicken, or just chips.

Save     Thanked by Feathers11
tigereye

Watermelon margaritas. Watermelon sorbet.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Feathers11
chloebud

Ahhh....margaritas... :-)

Save    
tigereye

My husband takes the watermelon and cuts it into quarters, then cuts and seeds all the flesh. He puts it into our big Rubbermaid dish. We don't usually have any go bad, even though it is just two of us and we get the huge regular melons. If they are ready to eat, we find that it is very easy to scoop a bowl out.

artemis_ma

Just watermelon. Sliced up, by itself. Served very chilled.

I'm happy. (So are my chickens, last year I bought them their very OWN watermelon during a heat wave...)

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Feathers11
bragu_DSM 5

boil it down and make some shrub ... keeps as long as it lasts

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I love watermelon as-is too.

My next best choice would be a frozen slushy, I think.

plllog

This weekend I'm planning to make watermelon sherbet, but it's a new recipe, so I'm not ready to recommend it. :)

Watermelon aqua fresca is very good. With or without mint.

roxanna7

So many fruits and veggies tend to spoil before I can finish them. I tried the product below and LO! huge improvement on keeping things edible for extended periods!! I do recommend it -- the link (if it works) is from Amazon. Bet it would work for your watermelon.

FRESHPAPER Food Saver Sheets for Produce | Keep Fruits & Vegetables Fresh | Perfect for Food Storage, Healthy Meal Prep | BPA Free | Made in USA

John Liu

Oldie but goodie. Halve watermelon. Scoop out halves, place pieces back into shells, add vodka and loud music. Later, have someone hold back your hair...

6 Likes Save     Thanked by Feathers11
plllog

John, the way I remember it, it was bore half a dozen holes around the top of the watermelon, inject with vodka into each hole. Insert straws. Less sticky. :) That last, later step is the same. :)

1 Like Save     Thanked by Feathers11
lindac92

Spiked watermelon is the best.....also good spiked with rum.....and really....unless you are using 150 proof rum or Everclear, there should be no need for that last step.
My favorite watermelon recipe is just melon lightly salted!.
Somewhere i have directions for how to cut a large watermelon to eliminate most of the seeds....need to look for that.

plllog

Linda, the last step is about college age binge drinking (not me), not the quality of the booze (which is likely bad due to the relative price of better). But dump a bunch of free booze masked by sweet and fruity in front of them, and give underfed waifs a big ration of YOLO and FOMO and too many cultural referents that tell them that overimbibing is fun, slather with standard late adolescent lonely-in-a-crowd-ness and a brain chemistry that draws them to romantic grand gestures of a self destructive bent, and you get a lot of worship at the proverbial porcelain altar.

mtnrdredux_gw

Watermelon gazpacho. It's excellent.

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/watermelon-gazpacho

Steve J

Grilled and salted, its outstanding. It's a toss up for me, between it and pineapple when grilled.

Janie

Blender, ice, watermelon, then rose wine to top off the glass.

Feathers11

These are great ideas. Thank you! Even John's, if only for the memories of more carefree days when my body could bounce back from such shenanigans.

I've been coming across references to shrubs... I think I'll try Bragu's idea and see how it goes.

Save    
OutsidePlaying

Watermelon mojitos are fabulous.

And a great appetizer is to make watermelon balls, thread on a small pick with a sprig of basil and a mozzarella ball. Really tasty and easy. You can drizzle with a small amount of balsamic if you like but it is perfect plain.

plllog

The sherbet is great! But I didn't make the actual recipe. :) The original recipe is from BakedByRachel. My cream had gone off so I substituted a pure yoghurt which has no thickeners, isn't too tart and comes in a big jar. And I didn't want to use chocolate chips, so thought blueberries would make a nice mix in.

2 C pure watermelon juice, chilled
1 1/2 C White Mountain plain yoghurt, full fat

3/4 C granulated sugar
Pinch salt
1/2 C+ fresh blueberries

In the ice cream freezer bowl, combine chilled pure watermelon juice (I used a slow juicer machine) with sugar and salt, stirring to dissolve sugar. Stir in yoghurt. Churn for a long time (50 minutes?). Add blueberries when it's mostly churned. Freeze in a chilled thermal container.

Makes 2 pints.

chloebud

Haven't made any myself but have had watermelon gazpacho, as someone mentioned. Tasty!

Feathers11

The watermelon itself was a huge disappointment. Nearly tasteless. My salad was good enough with the dressing, but I'm not going to bother with a shrub with this one.

Pillog, glad your sherbet turned out well!

1 Like Save    
plllog

Oh, so sorry about your watermelon! Mine tested as a right good one, but when I opened it, while it wasn't tasteless, it was weak. It made a really nice sherbet, however. I think the sugar and milk fat helped boost the watermeloniness. By the time it was served as dessert, it was a darker pink and watermelonier. The blueberries became chewy and worked well too.

I usually try to get the ones with seeds for better flavor, but this one yelled at me to take it home. :) I hope you have better luck with the next watermelon.

Save    
Feathers11

Yes, I didn't realize mine was "seedless" until I cut it open. It was gifted to me over the 4th by my MIL because she forgot she had bought it, didn't serve it, and so sent it home with me. I've never had any luck with seedless watermelons.

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Way too unpredictable especially right before a holiday like the 4th. Seems everyone wants corn and watermelon. Fortunately my market had tastings. I bought two small seedless that were excellent and peaches that I would not have gambled on. Delicious. Watermelon went into a Greek style salad and some fresh. Some on the grill with some peach halves, some peach slices fresh. (asparagus looked great but was not even edible yet again).

Save    

Related Stories

Homes Around the World World of Design: Favorite Recipes From Food Lovers Around the Globe
By Houzz
Travel with your tastebuds and experience for yourself these international foodies' favorite dishes
Full Story
Life 5 Home Cooks Share Their Favorite Family Recipes
Peek inside the kitchens of these Houzz users and learn how to cook their time-tested, passed-down dishes
Full Story
Kitchen Design Our Favorite Kitchen Storage Ideas Now
Make the most of every square inch with these clever cabinetry solutions
Full Story
Edible Gardens 10 Foodie Favorites to Kick-Start Your Edible Garden
Get ready to plant these herbs and vegetables this spring to bring gourmet flavors from your garden into your kitchen
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: Fall Entertaining Favorites
Make autumn feasts a piece of cake with chic compostable plates, pretty glasses, pie accessories and more
Full Story
Gardening 101 15 Favorites for Your Summer Edible Garden
Get your summer garden off to a good start with these popular fruits and vegetables
Full Story
Christmas Houzz Call: Share Your Favorite Christmas Tradition
Is there one thing you do, watch or eat that heralds the arrival of Christmas? Post a photo and let us know!
Full Story
Cool Finds: 15 Modern Favorites Under $50
Have a little more fun everyday with these stylish and affordable home accessories
Full Story
Remodeling Guides 5 Favorite Granites for Gorgeous Kitchen Countertops
See granite types from white to black in action, and learn which cabinet finishes and fixture materials pair best with each
Full Story