SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jws91

Beadboard wainscot height & layout for two same size sofas in FR

Kailua Krafts
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi, we're moving into a new home next week and I can't decide if we should go for 39" tall or higher (including baseboard and chair rail) bead board wainscoting for the main level which is an open layout of kitchen dining and family room. (my carpenter will be using 4' wide x96" tall panels from Home Depot) Floor to ceiling is 9' high and the space is broken up by tall windows and three sets of 6' wide glass sliding doors along one entire wall on the back of the house. The pictures show the current owner's décor.

We like traditional coastal design in Blue and White colors, and will have the walls painted light silver blue (Sherwin Williams Snow Drop, eggshell finish), bead board wainscot will be bright white in semi-gloss finish, and plan to install crown molding.

We will have two cream/off white 86" sofas in the space with the Fireplace. We plan to paint the cherry cabinets and book shelves as well as the fireplace mantle all white. (Had thought of covering the shelf interior with blue grass cloth or white bead board but hubby is too conventional /boring for that radical idea. haha) The first sofa will be placed across from the fireplace - about 13' from back of sofa to the fireplace (above which a TV will be placed on a mount that can be lowered so our necks are strained from looking up too much). My dilemma is where to place the second sofa in an L-configuration. Option 1 is in front of the sliding doors. Option 2 is against the wall with the stair railing partially behind it. I have a white square table for the corner which will have a lamp on it. I feel the view is nicer if the second sofa is facing the sliding doors towards the backyard, but it seems awkward to not have a solid wall fully behind the sofa. Plus the corner table will protrude beyond the steps/railing in an awkward dead space.

For further context, our dining set is a cream/bleached wood table and blue Pottery Barn (Napolean style chairs with rattan seats). We will change the light fixture but haven't picked one yet -feel free to suggest a style! :) We plan to have the cherry wood kitchen cabinets spray painted white, remove wood cornice over kitchen window, and cover the back of the base cabinets with white bead board. Bar stools will be white Ikea chairs. We plan to get white plantation shutters for the windows (unfortunately they will have to be overmounted since the inside frame from casing to glass is too shallow. Ugh- more $$$$) I'm undecided on whether to get a rug for the dining space or not. Might go with woven natural seagrass with blue canvas border.

Appreciate any thoughts you might have on these design decisions. Thanks in advance!

Comments (10)