July Summer Reading
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (70)
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Discussions
Hot fun in the summer time - July reading
Comments (83)At last I have finished Trollope's The Warden and . . . for Sheri . . . who couldn't remember the 'plot' It concerns the warden, kind old Rev Mr Harding, who is in charge of the Barchester 'hospital' ie alms houses for 12 old 'beadsmen' of the city. A young radical hot-head John Bold, believes that Harding is taking too much money as his stipend from the Trust, which should go to the old men instead. People take sides, even the pensioners, not understanding Harding already gives them an allowance out of his own pocket. The London newspapers take up the story leading to innocent-in-the-ways-of-the-world Harding resolves to leave his post and live on a very small amount of money in a tiny parish. Tied in with this is the bossy Archdeacon, the kindly Bishop and the lovely Eleanor Harding who spends too much time, in that rather unhealthy Victorian way, weeping on the bosom of her Father . . . and he on hers....See MoreJuly reading - Midsummer Madness
Comments (88)Mary, the new Susan Hill (Sept 2017) is Jacob's Room is Full of Books which, I understand, is a collection of notes, jottings etc about the books SH has read/is reading. I haven't read one of her Simon Serrailler books for quite a while and got rather lost in the 'reading order' but as you say they are intelligent and well-written . . . though rather dark. ci, the landing is one of the few areas of our house in which there are NO books! I own far too many and have started to 'prune' the paperbacks by lending them to friends with the proviso that I don't want them returned . . ....See MoreReading in July
Comments (152)I am on the third book of my exploration of Gothic literature. Unlike The Castle of Otranto, which is made up of one suspense scene after another, The Old English Baron is long-winded, wordy and full of exposition and the author manages to kill the thrill of the handful of suspense scenes almost before they begin, by explaining too much. I am now reading Vathek by William Beckford, and find it is the first of these books that I would call a full-blown Gothic novel. As well as being an influential on the Gothic genre, it also influenced the fantasy and horror genres, and both Keats and Byron, as well as Poe and Lovecraft, were influenced by it. It is highly entertaining and Beckford mixed together an Oriental setting with Gothic elements like supernatural happenings, villainy and dark deeds, and added both humour and horror to the mix....See MoreWhat are we reading in July 2019
Comments (91)Second half of July. The Last Painting of Sara de Vos by Dominic Smith: Very much enjoyed this tale that goes back and forth between 17th century Holland, 1950s NYC, and present day Australia. There was one bit that I could have done without but overall a good book. 4 stars The Road by Cormac McCarthy: Another good one. I almost put this down a couple of times towards the beginning (another post-apocalyptic... do I need this?). I'm glad I didn't. It is a well written, moving novel. 4 stars The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach: Originally titled These Foolish Things, it was renamed after the movie came out. I was looking for something a bit humorous. It was okay. I haven't seen the movie but was able to accurately guess which actors played some roles (typecasting?). 3 stars Open Secrets by Alice Munro: Finishing out the month with this book of short stories by one of my favorite authors. Being able to pick up an older book by one of my favorites that I haven't yet read always makes me glad that I don't binge read authors. Will probably be 5 stars The computer system of the county library system I use was attacked (reportedly by ransomware) a few weeks ago. The online catalog is not working and no interlibrary loans are going through (I have several requests that are in limbo until this is straightened out.). A bit frustrating but, as a library worker said to me last week, it has resulted in a return to the old practice of browsing the stacks. That is why my last few books (and the one up next) are all by authors with last names beginning with "M". I knew I wanted one book by an "M" and chose other books in the same aisle that I thought I'd like (with a bit of online/Goodreads referencing). We adapt. Happy reading!...See More- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

LIFEWhat You’re Reading This Summer — and Where
Check out Houzzers’ summer reading lists and get some ideas for your own!
Full Story
LIFEHouzz Call: Where (and What) Are You Reading This Summer?
Whether you favor contemporary, classic or beach reads, do the long and lazy days of summer bring out the lit lover in you?
Full Story
MOST POPULAREnjoy Your Summer Garden — Here’s What to Do in July
Our July gardening guides take the guesswork out of summer watering, pruning and planting. See our tips for your U.S. region
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME9 Dream Summer Reading Spots and the Books That Go With Them
Get inspired by these inspiring outdoor spaces to create your own reading spot — and a new reading list
Full Story
LIFE9 Simple Ways to Savor Summer’s Final Days
Go ahead, ignore the calendar. Stretch out that easygoing, warm-weather feeling with these ideas for indoors and out
Full Story
REGIONAL GARDEN GUIDESDelight in Summer’s Garden Glories — Here’s What to Do in June
Wherever you live in the United States, these guides can help you make the most of your summer garden
Full Story
OUTDOOR ACCESSORIESThe Shade Sail: Summer’s Most Useful Quick Fix
Stretching a fabric cover over a patio can provide shade, privacy and a shot of color
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGTo-Dos: Your July Home Checklist
Get your safety and housekeeping ducks in a row so you can splash into carefree summer fun
Full Story
NORTHEAST GARDENINGNortheast Gardener's July Checklist
Fire up your garden with sun-loving yellow and red blooms to put you in a party mood for outdoor summer fun
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESRocky Mountain Gardener: What to Do in July
Keep the party going all summer long with smart watering methods and fertilizer. Get ready for next year and order bulbs now
Full Story0
yoyobon_gw