SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottyeec42

Windows, doors, other selections-- what do I need early on?

S CD
4 years ago

Hello all you knowledgeable people, I'm hoping you can help us newbies. We are currently interviewing contractors. We have custom plans from an architect, it's for 3000 sqft & 4bed/3bath, that some contractors have told us are outstanding (they are 28 pages long with views from all angles and all kind of measurements) and others have told us are lacking (a couple have said there's no material list and how are they supposed to bid with no materials list). The first time that happened we assumed that contractor just didn't want the job badly enough, especially since he was quick to tell us "it looks expensive" in the same breath as saying "I can't price it like this." (Roll eyes here). But now a second has asked for a materials list for windows and doors. The guys who likes the plans just interviewed us about what type of stuff we would want and that was that-- he's working on a bid now.

Our architect has told us everything that a contractor should need is on the plans he sent us. He said he was essentially leaving materials up to us to decide with the contractor, which is why he didn't specify anything in writing. I don't know now if he should have, if this is just something every architect does differently, or if these contractors are just being a PITA for no reason.

Anyway, we're now in a situation where if we want more than 1-2 bids, we need to come up with some directions for these other contractors on what type of doors, windows, flooring, etc. to bid. Most of it we can handle but I have no idea where to start on doors and windows. Any recommendations for the best places for us to start looking? How prescriptive should we be?

If anyone has any other pointers in terms of who could be in the wrong here or red flags to look out for with contractors in this area, we're all ears.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County