SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenda_al

Blueberry picking was good this am! Need your favorite!

glenda_al
4 years ago

Usually make blueberry buckle coffee cake, which is awesome!

Comments (35)

• User
    4 years ago

When my parents built their house in Prince George BC, we lived on 2 acres out in the country and had wild blueberries all over our property. Mom would ask us if we wanted pancakes and my sister and I would run out with a small bucket and pick blueberries to put in the pancakes. Nothing tastes better than wild blueberries in pancakes. I also love blueberry muffins.

glenda_al thanked User
  • Judy Good
    4 years ago

Blueberry - Butterscotch bars

Cream together:

1 1/2 cup flour

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp baking soda

3/4 cup Butter

1 cup Sugar

Beat in 2 eggs

2 to 2 1/2 cups Blueberries, folded in

5 1/2 oz butterscotch chips

Sprinkle with brown sugar and walnuts/pecans on the top

9x13 pan at 350 for 35-45 minutes

• Related Discussions

Picture of the day *46* Pick your favorite

Q

Comments (14)
    I like the red with the dusty miller as well. We are off tomorrow. Hopefully John will feel better and we can go fishing. He is having withdrawals from not getting to go for a while, lol. I knew he was really sick when he canceled fishing again today and wouldn't eat rice. I thought I might need to check for a pulse when I heard him say no rice. Thats like saying I don't need air for him. He is a little better and would rather him not push it but I guess we will see in the morning.
    ...See More

Roses: the bad, the good and your favorite colors & scents?

Q

Comments (79)
    Bump up this thread to admire Mas_loves_roses with a vigorous Sharifa Asma. I don't know if hers is grafted or own-root. My Sharifa as own-root is so wimpy !! Also appreciate Seaweed posting so many blooms in her alkaline clay garden in Southern California. Re-post Seaweed's tip for bare-root roses (grafted on Dr. Huey): "When I received the bare root from Regan, first prep the hole with Gypsum. Then filled tap water & let it settled. Next filled with Gardner & Bloome brand organic plating mix, right below the root, added one tablespoonful of David Austin's Mycorrhizal fungi. Last: put in bare root, added pumice, earthworm castings, and diluted mix of superthrive, Eleanor's VF-11, plus more water."
    ...See More

Please pick your favorite Backsplash (Pics.)

Q

Comments (4)
    I like photo #1 middle (unless it is too pinky which it may not be in person) because it is unique while still remaining somewhat neutral. The others look lovely with your paint color and granite, but I think that if you ever decide to change your paint color above your cabinets the others may limit you more. The second picture, right side is also nice, but I like the uniqueness of the other one better. Can you post a picture that shows them up against the cabinetry as well to see how all the colors tie together, they might help. Good luck! Kat :)
    ...See More

Your favorite picks from Garden Club Plant Sales

Q

Comments (16)
    Thugs may show up at garden club sales, but you may also find plants that can be divided or groundcovers that spread in a more friendly way, plants such as Hosta or some of the Geraniums. I would take a tablet or your phone and look things up on a reliable website such as the MOBOT Plant Finder or the New England wildflower's GoBotany or even just type in the plant name and the word invasive or thug to find out if it is invasive in the scientific sense (spreading into wild areas via wind, water, or animals and displacing natives) or just a thug in the garden like your spiderwort can be if give free reign to seed around. I would also encourage you to look at nonnatives since many are loved by insects and other pollinators when added to the mix. For instance many of the native plants to New England where I live tend to be woodland plants since our climax vegetation is forest, and many gardens have at least some sun. Rgardless, ask the folks if behind the counter if they are familiar with the plants you are considering and whether they spread aggressively.
    ...See More
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

glenda, are those large blueberries or small buckets? The size/scale is hard to judge. Some in the closeup picture look to be the size of small apricots rather than the barely bigger than a piece of shelled peanut size or smaller ones we typically find in stores. Thanks.

• Rusty
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Oh my! Those blueberries look soooo good!

Here's my very favorite recipe for the best ever, IMHO, blueberry (or raspberry) muffins.

Would you share your blueberry buckle coffee cake recipe, please?? ? ?

Blueberry or Raspberry Streusel Muffins

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare muffin pans. (I always make these in the big 'jumbo' or 'Texas' muffins pans.)

Yield: 12 'Texas' size muffins.

Batter:

1 C buttermilk

1/2 C melted butter (yes, I use real butter in these, so don't know how margarine would work)

2 eggs, beaten, & at room temperature

1 C sugar

2 1/2 C all purpose flour

2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder

1/2 tsp Baking Soda

1 C walnuts, chopped (more is good, too)

1 1/2 C Blueberries (I use a full pint of fresh, sometimes more if I have them. But I think frozen would work well, too.)

Melt butter, set aside.

Mix all dry ingredients together. Stir blueberries and walnuts into the dry ingredients.

In a separate bowl, whisk eggs well, add buttermilk. Whisk in the melted butter. Set aside.

Streusel Topping:

1/3 C flour

1/3 C sugar

1/4 (scant) C butter (make sure it is very cold)

1 tsp cinnamon (more is okay if you like cinnamon as much as I do)

1 C walnuts, chopped fine

Prepare Streusel topping: Cut butter into dry ingredients, until it looks like crumbs. Stir in the chopped nuts. Set aside.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring only enough to mix. You may need to add a bit more buttermilk at this point, to be able to get all the dry ingredients wet. Batter will be quite thick.

Fill muffin cups almost (but not quite) full.

Sprinkle generously with the Streusel topping.

Bake about 25 minutes, until they test done.

Rusty

(ETA to adjust line spacing)

glenda_al thanked Rusty
  • glenda_al
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is the blueberry buckle recipe I use. So good, been using it for a number of years.

blueberry buckle

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

Wow! Those are gorgeous!

My favorites: blueberry jam or blueberry cheesecake

glenda_al thanked DawnInCal
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    4 years ago

Elmer, you cannot be serious. Lol. That looks like about a gallon of fresh picked normal sized blueberries.

I love fresh blueberries and will use mine on cereal, in my morning green drinks, in salads, in pancakes, and probably other freshly baked treats. I love fruit salad made with blueberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, grapes, and fresh pineapple. Our favorite, though, is homemade blueberry ice cream

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Scale is pretty easy to judge looking at the second photo - just compare the berry size to the blades of grass :-) A pretty standard size.

FWIW, there are a couple of varieties that are known for producing very large berries.........'Chandler' is considered the largest, with berries the size of cherries. Both 'Duke' and 'Elliot' also produce large berries....1/2" diameter or more.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Image of blueberry buckle

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

rhizo, the question was completely serious. Blueberries are not a traditional product in my area, unlike so many others. I did some looking - in 1997, there were 196 acres planted in blueberries in California. Round that down to Zero. There's more now but I've never seen such an orchard or gone picking.

gardengal, that's why your name is gardengal and mine ISN'T garden_elmer. I appreciate your pointing out what must be obvious to you and wasn't to me.

I think glenda must have been too busy to respond, she seems to like to add her remarks to my comments. .

• User
    4 years ago

What's the difference between blueberry buckle and coffeecake. Looks the same.

• greenshoekitty
    4 years ago

I can understand what Elmer said. If you look at the pic. just right they look very large. Elmer they are very nice big berries( not apricots,more like a large raspberry) some you get in the stores now days are only half that size.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

LOL!! Blueberries are a big deal here :-) More blueberries are produced in the PNW than anywhere else - the largest wholesale grower of blueberry plants (on an international scale) is located in OR and WA state is the leading commercial berry producer.....96 million pounds as of 2017. I actually worked summer vacations while in high school at a local blueberry farm and cannery. And there are several u-pick farms within a few miles of me.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Going back to request for recipes:

This is a berry cobbler that can be used for blueberries, blackberries, etc.

Ingredients

• 2 C Berries frozen or fresh
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • 1 cup milk
    • 1 cup self rising flour
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 1 stick butter or margarine

Instructions

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt stick of butter in oven proof casserole dish in oven while mixing ingredients. Place 1 T margarine on top of berries in a small bowl. Pour 1/2 cup sugar over berries. Stir. Heat in microwave for 1 minute so that sugar begins to melt.
    • Mix together 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar until blended. Pour in 1 cup milk and mix until blended.
    • After butter is melted, take casserole out of oven and pour batter on top of melted butter. Pour berries on top of batter. DO NOT STIR! Sprinkle a tablespoon of sugar over cobbler. Place in 350 oven and cook for 55 minutes or until golden.
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    4 years ago

jasdip has the best blueberry muffin recipe. It's my go-to (still)

Jasdip's Blueberry Muffins - makes 9 large ones.

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
    3/4cup white sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    1 egg
    1/3 cup milk ( approximately - see below)
    1 cup fresh blueberries, or 1/2 pint
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup butter, cubed
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

2.Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.

Combine first 4 ingredients.

Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup, add the egg and fill the rest of the cup with milk. Mix this with the flour mixture. I just stirred it in. I did not use the electric mixer as it is very stiff. Fold in the blueberries.

Fill the muffin cups right to the top. Sprinkle with the crumb mixture.

3. To make the crumb topping: mix together the last 4 ingredients and mix with a fork. Sprinkle over the muffins before baking.

4.Bake for 20 to 25 minutes ( I found 22 was about right) in the preheated oven or until done.

glenda_al thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • Janie
    4 years ago

Tried and True (many times in my kitchen) from David from Oklahoma from the cooking forum from long ago.

Simpler Times Blueberry French Toast Casserole

8 cups bread in 1" cubes (Brioche or Challah or any French/Italian bread)

5 eggs

1 cup sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon nutmeg

3 cups milk or Half & Half

3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

1 cup chopped pecans

1/4 cup butter or margarine

1/2 cup brown sugar

Put bread in large bowl. Whip eggs, sugar and nutmeg until light in color and thick. Add milk and vanilla, stir and pour over bread. Cover and place in fridge overnight.

In the morning, mix 1 cup blueberries into bread and put in greased pan; sprinkle balance of blueberries on top, then pecans. In pan, melt butter and brown sugar until bubbly. Pour mixture over blueberries and pecans.

Bake at 325 degrees for one hour or until puffed. Serve hot with syrup.

glenda_al thanked Janie
  • Rusty
    4 years ago

Glenda, thank you for the link to the Buckle recipe, I've saved it. The picture of it looks delicious! My mouth is watering. And thank you for the cobbler recipe, too, it's very similar to a peach cobbler recipe I used to make often, using canned peaches. So easy and so good!

Rusty

glenda_al thanked Rusty
  • User
    4 years ago

Trader Joe's sells a wild blueberry that my husband loves. He puts them on cereal/oatmeal and I like to use them in blueberry muffins.

https://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/4669

glenda_al thanked User
  • marylmi
    4 years ago

Yum! Blueberries on a blueberry farm are larger than wild blueberries. I have picked both and it's a lot easier to go to a farm. The blueberry pie recipe I always make is from my old Home Ec book. Now I'm hungry for blueberries!

• blfenton
    4 years ago

Elmer - never gone blueberry picking for fresh blueberries - oh my.

BC is a huge producer of blueberries with 600 growers who collectively produce about 150 million pounds a year.

Blueberry anything is always good.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Friend I was with just sent me this.

Blueberry feta salad

• 6 c. baby spinach
    • 1 c. blueberries
    • 4 oz. crumbled feta cheese
    • 1/4 c. almonds
    • red onion slivers to taste
    • For the Dressing:
    • 1/3 c. olive oil
    • 1/3 c. golden balsamic vinegar
    • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
    • 1 Tbsp. honey
    • 1 tsp. poppy seeds
    • 1/4 tsp. pepper
    1. Layer salad ingredients in large salad bowl or platter.
    2. Prepare dressing by combining all ingredients in a container with a lid; shake vigorously to combine.
    3. Toss salad with dressing.

• marylmi
    4 years ago

From my old Home Ec book.

Blueberry Pie

21/2 cups frozen blueberries

3 tbs flour

1 cup sugar

Pinch of salt

2 tbs lemon juice. Just spritz it on

1 tbs butter

Mix ingredients except the butter and pour into pie shell

Dot with butter

Adjust top crust and bake at 450 for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 350 and bake for app. 1 hour or until done.

I forgot to add that I sprinkle sugar on the top crust too.

glenda_al thanked marylmi
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    4 years ago

Glenda, that salad sound delicious! I bought some local feta a few days ago and would love to use it in this salad.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    4 years ago

I have copied all of the recipes and sent them on to my youngest daughter. She is busy now picking her blueberries. I kept the recipes too, in case I should get some of them, :) My black raspberries are ripe.

Sue in Central Indiana

glenda_al thanked Marilyn Sue McClintock
  • georgysmom2
    4 years ago

Blueberry Pound Cake

Preheat 325

1 Pint blueberries, washed and drained 2 sticks butter, softened 2 C, sugar - 4 eggs - 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla 3 C. flour divided - 1 tsp, baking powder - 1/2 tsp. salt Grease and flour 10" tube pan or bundt pan. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time. Beat well after each addition. Add vanilla, beat until fluffy. Dredge berries in 1/4 C. flour and set aside. Whisk remaining four with baking powder and salt. Fold into cake batter until well blended. Gently stir in berries. Pour in prepared pan. Bake 1 hr. 10 min. or till cake tester comes out clean. Cool 10 min. remove from pan. Serves 10 - 12

Glenda, you can put the blueberries on a cookie sheet, freeze and then put in zip-lock bags. Not so good to eat on cereal after frozen, but great in baked goods.

glenda_al thanked georgysmom2
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

"Elmer - never gone blueberry picking for fresh blueberries - oh my."

No, for at least two good reasons

-not historically grown in my area (though so many other fruits and veggies are) and

-even if they were in the area I wouldn't be interested. I eat almost everything in any form or style but I never developed a taste for berries of any kind. I'll tolerate strawberries in a dessert or salad but if there's an alternative with no strawberries I'll normally choose that.

My wife likes them and knows that whatever container size she buys they're all for her.

• georgysmom2
    4 years ago

Glenda, Just checked your Blueberry Buckle recipe against my Blueberry Streusel recipe. The cake part is exactly the same, but the topping is different. Mine is: 1/2 C. light brown sugar, 3 T. flour, 2 tsp. cinnamon, 3 T. butter, 1/2 C. chopped pecans. Mix L.B. sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter add nuts, sprinkle over batter. Bake 375 40 - 50min. Can add lemon peel, nutmeg or cinnamon to batter.

glenda_al thanked georgysmom2
  • glenda_al
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks to those that participated by sharing recipes. Apppreciated. Please add any other recipes you'd like to share.

Yep, georgysmom2, they both are delicious!

• nickel_kg
    4 years ago

Saving the shared recipes (I haven't clicked the linked ones yet, they will be next!). I'm especially intrigued by Judy Good's combination of blueberries and butterscotch.

glenda_al thanked nickel_kg
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

I use commercially grown blueberries in lots of things - muffins, pancakes, coffee cakes, on cereal or in yoghurt, mixed with other berries with just a bit of sugar.

My favorite is wild blueberries - the kind one picks in MA or ME. One never shares the secret of a "found patch". My late husband's parent's cook had her favorite patch on Chappaquiddick where their house was. She would have my FIL drive her out to North Neck Rd and leave her - she didn't even want HIM to know where "her patch" was! He'd come back in about an hour and Ruth would be standing there with a small bucket full of berries.

She then make a blueberry pie for dinner that night, homemade crust and all. Oh my, but that woman had a delicate touch with a pie crust! Served warm with a bit of vanilla ice cream...ambrosia. I miss that big smile on her face when she saw how happy this made us all. Such a special woman.... She's buried in the family plot with my in-laws and my husband. I'll join her there someday in the not too distant future.

glenda_al thanked Anglophilia
  • glenda_al
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Friend just made the blueberry buckle and shared her picture lol

• jemdandy
    4 years ago

Start with a 1/2 bowl of washed blueberries. Add as much yogurt on top as desired. Dig in! (Alternate to yogurt is cottage cheese.)

• nickel_kg
    4 years ago

jemdandy, sometimes I mix a spoonful of cool whip into the yogurt first. It lightens the yogurt taste and texture for people who don't care much for it, like my DH. Add a little granola on top and it's a fancy parfait :-)

• lisa_fla
    4 years ago

In the last two years-for the first time ever, I've picked strawberries (posted pics here when I did that) and oranges. We meant to go to a local blueberry farm but missed the season by a couple of weeks. Next year for sure! I'd love to try apple picking too.I'm pretty sure we would have to do that in GA. One of the orchards there has frozen apple slushes year round, I got one coming and going when we went to a park there. I am going to print the salad recipe!!!

glenda_al thanked lisa_fla
Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County