SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
milehi

Please pick your favorite elevations: A or B, C or D, E or F.....

milehi
12 years ago

I posted a (loooong) while ago and have been lurking and planning ever since. Now I'm hoping to order cabinets soon, but would love your input regarding options for elevations. I think I've worked out the functionality issues, but need help with aesthetics.

We're empty nesters, but want to consider resale when we redo our kitchen as it's a 5 bedroom house. Cabinetry will be a medium brownish color. The floor is a natural maple. Countertops will be granite, something with grays, tans, white, brown, maybe green.

There are main three walls with options: the range wall (A or B), the "desk" wall (C or D), and the oven/pantry wall (E or F).

Here's the floorplan with those walls noted:

Layout: The family room is at the top of the layout picture. The "butler" (ha!) uses the area in the lower left for dining room china, serving pieces, cookbooks, and the bar. The kitchen is pretty much L-shaped with an island; the cooktop and refrigerator are along one leg of the L. There are plenty of windows (a triple and a single) in the corner. Prep is across from the cooktop, cleanup at the window sink.

Please try to ignore differences between hand-drawn and computer generated elevations and between different perspectives and vote:

A or B

Appliances: I'm planning on an induction cooktop, double ovens and a microwave drawer (by the cooktop). The refrigerator will be a 36" SubZero and there will be fridge/freezer drawers on the island near the kitchen table.

Do you like stacked cabinets? Do you have thoughts on the perfect sized cabinet door by the cooktop. In A, the cabinets are 24", and in B, they're 17" with open shelves for cookbooks.

To create some balance the fridge will be stainless (despite the wood panels in the elevations) and shorter than the cabinets around the range. Window treatments can line up with the top of the fridge. I'm hopeful that the block of cabinets around the hood will look centered on the wall.

C or D:

We'll have the phone and answering machine behind these cabinets, with papers in drawers below. The main difference between these options is the phone cabinet: is it a single in the center or two smaller cabinets along the sides with an open area in the center. Display will be on either open shelves or behind glass-doored cabinets.

E or F:

The baking center is on the island across from the ovens. There's a pantry between the butler's pantry and the ovens. The snack area is/was a well worn path between the pantry and refrigerator. In "E", the pantry door is disguised as cabinetry. F has molding at the top of the oven cabinet, partway down the wall.

The oven/pantry wall and corner near the desk area were especially confounding. There was a better looking option, but placing the ovens to the right of the pantry really freed needed cabinet space near the cooktop. Is there always some weirdness with the crown molding when cabinets are installed flush with drywall? Should there be a 4 inches of drywall to the right of the ovens or should the cabinets wrap around the corner. This is my least favorite elevation, so please help me choose the best of the worst....

Looking foward to all your thoughts and comments! Thank you.

Comments (14)