SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sgnden

Blind Item Big Purchase Flooring

Steve
4 years ago

We have about 2100 sq ft of floor area for wood flooring and want site-finished 4" plank white oak. What should this cost for materials and for install/sanding/finishing (3 coats)?

Initially, the flooring guy recommended "euro-character red oak long length 4". His price installed and finished w/ 3 coats of commercial water-based materials was $12/sq ft for this red oak.

However, we've decided that we want white oak. I expected white oak to be somewhat more expensive but his price for white oak in a select grade 4" random lengths is $15/sq ft. Is it just me, or does $3/sq ft delta seem like an excessive delta from red oak? If same grade?

This seems like too much more for the white oak. However, this is a blind item for us. My only point of reference was looking at Floor & Decor and seeing their white oak 4" flooring (#1 common) priced at $2.87/sq ft and the red roughly $0.80 less. I am assuming that installation labor and finishing is the same for either red of white oak, of course. So, this price diff calls everything into question for me unless I am just way off in my thinking.

The flooring contractor has been doing nothing but floors for over 20 years in our area. Has rave reviews from past customers and portfolio is impressive (to the extent I even know what I'm lookin at). However, many in my area probably don't care what anything costs...But I do.

I have his proposals but he priced as a project with no transparency. That-is, show me the materials and labor as separate line-items and don't make me try to reverse engineer the numbers. I've asked for it to be broken down but I won't be surprised if he refuses since, like so many other tradesmen in our area, they have more business than they could ever service.

My GC is recommending pre-finished solid flooring in order to save money, but I really want the gold standard of planks finished on-site (no groove between plans like the pre-finished).

Any guidance on the range for what I should be paying?

Thanks!!

Comments (18)