SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
execassistant

Big, BIG Blind Mistake

Debbie Laird
10 years ago

I think I just made the biggest decorating blunder I have ever made in my life (57 yrs old). We live in a 70's ranch, in the country, with no neighbors. Our house faces east and we have big windows with lots of sun from the east and west. I have envisioned 2" wood blinds on the dining room and all bedroom windows since we moved in. I finally bit the bullet and they were installed this week. UGH!
The UGH is that the windows are replacement windows, white plastic and not pretty at all. Four of them, one in each room, are like picture windows, guessing 6' wide x 4' tall, with a large pane in the middle and side panes. The window trim is wood, so I got wood blinds.
Since they are replacement windows, the were not deep enough for the blinds to be mounted inside. So, to be outside mounted required an extra four inches, two on each side, and now they a special ordered and pricey.
Here is what I see wrong. Due to their width, there are three strings for raising and lower, and the side windows add two more vertical lines. Ugly opened! The windows are maybe four feet tall, so the mass of horizontal lines make them look even shorter and the windows are so large that now the blinds over power the rooms. And to make it worse, my custom bedroom curtains are now too short!!!
There I have said it and vented. A $2,000 custom blind mistake, no pun intended.
I have been a member of garden forum for over six years. Why didn't I just ask for your advise???

Comments (21)