Overrated or handy

maifleur01

In reading the comments on the other thread and my experience last I realized that the people downgrading the faucet that you could use for hot water located at the stove either seldom or never cooked. I was fixing something and it was becoming much too thick before the grains in it were tender enough to eat. I had the option of heating a kettle of water or heating in the wave some water. I jerked ??? taking the measuring cup out of the wave and burnt the back of my fingers. If I had had one of those water sources that used really hot water while I might still burn my fingers I would hot have had to carry that hot water across the kitchen. For those of you that do not cook adding cold or cool water while cooking grains can change the texture and make them tough.

Wondering what things that many consider overrated that you found handy and why. Sometimes they are just more convenient so if that is the reason post it.

Edited to add that the pink swelling of my fingers is gone this morning.

SaveComment24Like
Comments (24)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maddielee

Most pot fillers use cold tap water. They are usually used to fill big pasta pots. I’ve never heard of them using hot water, but maybe some do.

A separate hot water dispenser at the stove would mean another installation of a sink with drain wouldn’t it?

Sorry you burned yourself, ouch!

Save    
C Marlin

I have a hot water dispenser in my prep sink directly behind my range, easy to get a cup and turn back around to my cooking. Even using a microwave, you can heat a cup in a two or four cup measuring cup lessening the risk of burns.

Save    
nicole___

I have a hot water dispenser on my frig....never used it!

Now the overhead exhaust hood...that for me is a MUST. About 50% of houses don't have one.

1 Like Save    
chisue

Two things about our house that I miss when we're on Maui are the central vacuum and the hot water recirculating pump.

I also miss the *vented* exhaust hood. The condo hood just pulls the air through a filter and puts it back into the room -- or your face! It does do some good; if I don't turn it on when I broil, the smoke detector goes off.

I don't 'get' electric kettles in a kitchen. They have ONE use. I can cook on a cook top...and boil water there, too.

2 Likes Save    
DawnInCal

That's interesting, nicole. I didn't know the number of homes without exhaust hoods was so low. I've always been under the impression it was required by the building code. Our stove is part of the kitchen island and there was no where to put an overhead exhaust, so we installed a down draft stove.

1 Like Save    
bpath reads banned books too

I lived in a couple of apartments without outside exhaust, I could never understand what purpose venting into the kitchen was supposed to serve! We set off the alarms all the time.

1 Like Save    
bpath reads banned books too

Not kitchen-related, but I have discovered "glide touch" typing on my phone. I'm becoming a bit evangelical about, but everyone I show it to says "huh, cool. But I don't mind tapping." (It reminds of me using shorthand, and, somewhat paradoxically, of keystrokes instead of mouse for text editing and other tasks on a computer.)

Save    
joyfulguy

I use my microwave a lot.

To heat/reheat cereals, soups, leftover stews, coffee, cheese and other sandwiches, etc.

As I have mugs near my sink, if I nerded some hot water quickly, I'd probably grab one, add some cold water (maybe hot if I'd used some recently), stick the cold into the microwave and have it hot in about a minute.

(Thought the error too delicious as it was, to justify amendment).

If I'd burned myself earlier, probably fill to only a half or three-quarters.

ole joyful ... whose coffee got so tepid while writing this, that it needed to visit the 'wave

P.S. What's this that they say ... ... that men (especially old ones), find it rather difficult to multi-task?

(Better keep an eye on that mug, buster - or it may need another visit to the 'wave)!

o j

1 Like Save    
C Marlin

I hated my central vac, it clogged one day when company was coming I ran out and bought a Meila, I love it. I disconnected the central vac and never looked back. I read on here all about the many people who loves their central unit, but it didn't work for me. I also had to lug the hose, not an in-the-wall kind. My Meila is light and easy to deal with don't think I'd consider anything else. I should mention I rarely vacuum.

1 Like Save    
joyfulguy

Speaking of "overrated", there are several billboards in our city that say "New car smell is overrated" sponsored by a muffler shop that does auto repairs.

Adds "keep the car on the road".

(Electric cars, having few moving parts, should run for 25 years or more, don't you think?

And ... don't need mufflers!).

ole joyful

Save    
nickel_kg

Is having a second mixing bowl for your stand mixer necessary? No, but it sure is convenient. Yesterday I was mixing up two kinds of cookies, and it was so nice to be able to work the two batches at the same time.

2 Likes Save    
Fun2BHere

Having an elevator in a multi-story house is a helpful addition. Most times, the stairs are used, but when moving furniture, seasonal decor or other unwieldy items, the elevator takes the worry out of falling on stairs. It's also handy when you are on crutches.

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

The at the stove ones when I looked had one of those instant heating things under the counter. I would never consider one that had only cold as there is less reason for it to be there. I WAS using a 4 cup measuring cup to heat just over the two cups that I thought I would need for the whole process. I jerked when the seldom used doorbell rang and it splashed over the top onto my fingers. No way to install in this house but for me it would be useful as I frequently use those side dishes where you bring water to boil then add the package. Would cut prep time not waiting for the water to get hot then boil.

Save    
watchmelol

Hot water dispensers are generally installed at the sink, either the main sink or a prep sink. They are not designed for large volumes of water but for a cup or two of hot water at a time. Pot fillers are installed at the range or elsewhere but are always on a cold water line. They are designed to dispense water at a higher volume. There is no US code anywhere that would allow a pot filler to dispense hot water.

Our pot filler will be used not for filling pots so much but is for having a source of filtered, hard water for drinking, cooking and filling the dog bowl etc. Our city water tastes awful and we have a water softener for the rest of the in house water.

1 Like Save    
chisue

There are two other 'good things' that I like in our house. One is the Aprilaire filter on each furnace, and one is the *flow-through* humidifier on each one. The filters keep the house cleaner. The humidifers not only keep it comfortable in winter, but because they are flow-through, they dry out between being triggered, meaning there's no damp medium for mold to grow and be spread throughout the house by the blowers. Although I love the comfort of hot water heating under the floor, I'm glad we have the forced air furnaces for humidity. (The floor heat was a retrofit after some north-facing rooms proved too cold for just the forced air.) Having dual air returns (for either heat or cooling) is another comfort factor.

Having two furnaces saved the day for us twice. When one quit working, we could 'limp along' until the HVAC tech could fix the problem.

3 Likes Save    
maifleur01

watchme if that is true why are they being installed in bathrooms? Things change as technology advances.

I only wish the Aprilaire that was installed worked for more than immediately after the warrantee stopped. Sounded good but either it was put in wrong. Have been told it was installed correctly. This house is dusty and the filters were always clean.

Save    
nicole___

Dawn....there's this house.....over a million dollars....no exhaust hood and it's typical! No exhaust hood or down draft

maifleur...I own 2 houses w/ Aprilaires. We just replaced the circuit board in one of them. And....what's being installed in bathrooms? Hot water dispensers? ? ?

Save    
watchmelol

watchme if that is true why are they being installed in bathrooms?

Not sure I understand the question. But if you mean hot water dispensers I would think so people could make a cup of tea or cocoa to have in bed or while getting ready for the day.. Bathrooms have sinks just like kitchens. Probably saw them in a hotel or something and people want to do the same.

There is nothing that says you can't have a water cooler/hot water combo in any room either. Same for a fridge.

The code I mentioned regarded pot fillers dispensing hot water. Pot fillers are for cold water.

1 Like Save    
nicole___

Yes, pot fillers are only cold water....and "no" drain. They used to put foot pedals on a kitchen sink.....that fad has played out as well.

I took out the hands free faucet too. That was awfu! I'd be washing a pan with soapy water & the faucet would come on full force. Or if I wanted a little bit of water.....it came on full force. I read where it took getting used to....gave it a few months and gave up! lol

Save    
Martha Scott

To me is it any harder to bring a filled pot to the the stove as it is to bring a filled pot with cooked pasta in it to the sink? It's just one way, folks -- you still gotta dump the HOT water which to me would be a harder chore than carrying cold water to the stove!

3 Likes Save    
maifleur01

Watchme look up tankless hot water heaters for showers. They are a larger version of under the sink heaters that are useful to heat water for any place in a house including the bathroom. They can be placed near the area that the water is used or in a central area. One I have seen was placed in the surround of a jet tub. Not a place I would have put it but it was not my house.

Save    
watchmelol

Tankless point of use water heaters are not at all what people are talking about here. They don't dispense water directly. They are plumbed into the line and there is no spigot. They are the "middleman" of providing hot water. That would be like comparing standard electric hot water heater to an electric tea kettle. Both provide hot water. An electric water heater uses heating coils as does an electric kettle but there ends the similarity.

Save    
arcy_gw

Martha this was always my confusion about pot fillers. MUCH harder and more dangerous to carry the pot full of boiling water and pasta than just cold water. I don't get it! As for other things convenience is convenience and anything can be appreciated that makes life easier--necessary or not. Life's too short to quibble over minor details!!

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I never wanted a pot filler...it just never made sense to me to have a faucet anywhere where there wasn't a drain under it...let alone over an appliance.

Not only do you need to carry the hot pot of pasta away from the stove, but if you bring it there with cold water in it, you know you can carry it away. If you fill it there, maybe not.

We have a hot shot that's great for heating a cup of water. We use it all the time for making tea or for when I need to add a cup of hot water to something I'm cooking. I don't like using hot tap water for food as there can be dissolved minerals in it from the plumbing system that aren't good for you.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Trends 11 Enduring Kitchen Ideas From the Industry’s Biggest Event
We visited the Kitchen and Bath Industry Show and found that many familiar kitchen features appear to be here to stay
Full Story
Kitchen Design 16 Practical Ideas to Borrow From Professional Kitchens
Restaurant kitchens are designed to function efficiently and safely. Why not adopt some of their tricks in your own home?
Full Story
Kitchen Design 7 Tricky Questions to Ask When Planning Your New Kitchen
Addressing these details will ensure a smoother project with personalized style
Full Story