SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jen86

Living room layout help!

Jen Butler
4 years ago

Needing help with our “new to us” house’s living room furniture layout. In this living room we will watch sporting events mostly and entertain. We also like to have coffee in there in the morning. It is a nice bright room. My husband and I don’t watch a lot of TV. We are not formal people. Our main goal is to get the most seating we can get and make it still look good. Seating for 8 adults would be nice. It is the room you enter into when you come to our house. The TV is above the fireplace, which I know isn’t great, but it is the ONLY option we have, as we don’t want the couch to face away from the window. We have another room that has a TV in it that we can use for movies and video games...more of a teen hang-out room.

We would also like advice on what size rug to purchase for this room. We have hardwood floors throughout the main floor. Should the rug extend to the space in front of the front door? Or should that be a separate rug?

As you can see from the crude drawing, the front door opens into this room. The window along the wall can accommodate a couch under it. There are cabinets on either side of the fireplace. Cabinet door sizes are noted for opening. We do plan on needing to open the cabinets from time to time.

There is one chair we want to keep in this room. The chair is 37” deep, and 42 1/2” wide. It is an heirloom Stickley piece my husband says is non-negotiable. It is large, I know.

We have a coffee table that is also staying. The dimensions are in the drawing. You can see it in the middle of the drawing. 52” long, 32” wide.

We also have a side table that is 24” x 18” and can be turned any direction.

I think two matching sofas is our best bet, facing each other, with the chair facing the fireplace, but we are open. Maybe one larger couch against longer wall and a smaller couch under window? How big should they be? Do sofas have to match in size and style? In color? Trying to avoid buying a loveseat as I know they tend to be useless. A sectional seems like it would cut off the room and I know sometimes they do not offer the most seating.

The room extends beyond the front door on the other side (one big rectangle) and has a dining room table with a large opening to the kitchen. I don’t know if you need to see those dimensions. Let me know. We have two sideboards that offer storage in the dining room so not really looking for storage pieces. Our coffee table also has storage. We could maybe use one more side table? Maybe some poufs that could be moved around for extra seating?

Thanks for any time and ideas you have for us. I love looking at design dilemmas on Houzz and am always amazed at the generosity, creativity and talent of people who respond. I have learned a lot reading and watching these discussions. I am hoping those talented and creative souls will share their expertise with me here.

Comments (43)

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

Could you post photos of the room?

• Jen Butler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Tedbixby! Thanks for your reply. I hesitate to post pics of the room for fear of harsh criticism about the existing furniture and furniture we are choosing to keep. But, knowing the fabulous work you have done on Houzz, I will do it. Please know that this is a 1915 house near a lake and casual. We want the room to be functional and comfortable, not just pretty in pictures. We are not looking for perfection. The rug is NOT staying! We just moved in and this was an indoor/outdoor rug that will be moved to the garage. It is NOT indicative of our style in any way. The shelves are NOT styled at all. Just things that have been tossed or set in there to keep them safe. We haven’t even really unpacked much. The blue oversized sofa/chair is going. It was in our HUGE living room with a HUGE sectional in our last house. This house is 1/2 the size of our former house. The recliner is going as well. We just set these things in the room so we could at least sit in there. Again, coffee table, wood chair and side table stay. Sideboards stay. Dining room table stays for now but we will get new one eventually. Here are pics.

• Related Discussions

Can't live with my living room...Layout help please?

Q

Comments (12)
    justgottabme: Yes! excellent plan! The Tv needs to be in that corner next to the fireplace -- either mounted on the wall or sitting on a console or cabinet. Having a cabinet in that spot would anchor that whole corner. And more excellent ideas above too! Love the idea of bookshelves in each of the corners -- perhaps just try basic Ikea Billy shelving -- or other build-it-yourself shelves (try stores like Targer or Walmart)-- just to see if that plan will work for you? Or look for vintage shelving or bookcases on your local Craigs List! Swivel chairs can be found -- check your local Craigs List! But for now -- once you move the TV -- try placing one sofa facing the fireplace -- and another one facing the window -- forming the classic L-shape.
    ...See More

Living room Layout help

Q

Comments (2)
    You might be able to place the TV over console on the big wall to the left of where the current sofa is, in between the two windows. Then you could place a chair on either side of the TV/console.
    ...See More

Living room layout help.

Q

Comments (2)
    Wow, this is tough because of the double doors! I think what you need to do is make two sitting spaces in your long living room. One sitting area will be in front of the TV and the other will surround the fireplace. The fireplace sitting area is a little tricky because of the doors. Here's how I would do it: I think I would position two chairs at an angle, facing each other, just in front of and on either side of the fireplace. The one to the right would be slotted in where the bookshelf is so that it doesn't interfere with the doors. You could also add a side table or two. So these two chairs, and the fireplace, would serve as a sort of conversation nook or reading area. Then, to make that configuration flow into the other sitting area better, flip your sectional to the opposite wall, and the cabinets to their opposite wall (you might need to separate the cabinets a bit--doesn't look like they'll fit, but they're modular yes?). You'll also need to push the sectional toward the wall with the door so that you have enough space between the two sitting areas. Also might want to add a sofa table along the back of the couch arm that would then be facing the fireplace sitting area, not because it's necessary but just because it could look nice/hide the back of the sofa. Instead of a sofa table, you could also do a cabinet, tall plants, a bench, what have you. That's what I would do if you wanted to keep your same furniture. Obviously lots of different options if you wanted to replace it, but however you do it I think two separate seating areas would be a really lovely use of space.
    ...See More

living room layout help!!

Q

Comments (2)
    If you rotate the coffee table 90 degrees and move the opposing sofas close to the coffee table, then you might have room behind one of them for the chairs to face each other with that side table in between them.
    ...See More
  • tedbixby
    4 years ago

Thanks for the photos. What a charming room and I think the pieces you are wanting to keep are worth keeping and will work out just fine when the room is put together. So ignore any nay sayers if they show up here. Am I seeing some Sticks pieces?

I think you are on the right track regarding 2 sofas across from each other but before we address that I think we need to figure out where the Stickley chair should go and then we can work around it. Have you tried putting it where the recliner is with the side table next to it?

• Jen Butler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for your kind and hopeful comments. Yes, we have several Sticks pieces. Love their messages and look. Yes, we were thinking that the Stickley chair could go where the recliner is currently. Recliner goes. What size rug do you think would be best? What size couches—wanting most seat space but not too overwhelming for the space. What about 2 90” couches? Too big?

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

Anyone can tell you to get this size or that size for this or that but I prefer to take one step at a time and make sure each step feels right before moving onto the next. And after 5 yrs on Houzz, I've learned that the majority of people that post their room size usually aren't right and the furniture usually ends up to be too large for the space so this has led me to be more methodical when helping fellow Houzzers. I'm a big believer of blue taping the area and seeing how it is to walk around it. I can tell you 90" sofa but what about the depth, what about lighting on each side, tables on the sides of it? So if you are comfortable working this way, we'll go forward with each other and if not (which I won't take offense with), I can bump this thread a few times and give it a bit more exposure so hopefully someone can offer you sizes without much thought. If you want to be methodical with me then before deciding on the sofa's sizes, I'd like you to move the chair and table in that place so we can get a sense of how it takes up the space. Then if it "feels" right to you, then we can figure out what size of sofa on that long wall. And who knows, another fellow Houzzer might show up and give you some input, too.

• Jen Butler
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Oh, yikes. I moved the chair over there and I am not sure I like it from all angles. I don’t like the empty space it creates between it and the wall by the sideboard.
  • Jen Butler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Not sure my last post posted correctly. I am going to give it a little bit and see if it adds the rest of my comments and pics..if not, I will redo. It only shows me the first few sentences of what I wrote and bit pics.

• Jen Butler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Okay, looks like it isn’t going to correct.

I don’t like the view as you stand at the door and see the large empty space between the table and the sideboard. My husband will not allow a plant there, so we can’t “fill” it with that. No plants on the hardwood. I do like the look from the fireplace/inside the living room area. Hmmmm...maybe the recliner should stay?

You can see in the pics that we have been playing with measurements using blue tape. The tape there is 90” couch, 41” deep. The blue chair is 41” deep currently. That is what our sectional was, and what my husband ultimately wants. However, I think that we should do something less deep. I think the deepness if the couch makes the gap I don’t like bigger. A less deep couch would help, but not totally take away.

I tried to angle it and that didn’t help much. Just made that space more awkward.

Lighting: we have overhead lights that dim and sconces that dim on either side of the fireplace as well as the lamp on the table and a tall lamp.

Thoughts?

• Jen Butler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

A couple more

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

Oh, now I see the blue tape :) When you angled the chair, did you push it back a bit to take up some of that wall space without it over taking the buffet and more towards the buffet wall and then angled it? And then the side table on the other side of the chair? You mention you might keep recliner but what happens to the chair?

I've got some things to go do so I'll check back probably in a hour or so.

• Lorrie H
    4 years ago

What about moving the buffet to the left side of the stained glass window in the dining area? Is there room for that ?

• Jen Butler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Tedbixby, I can fool around a bit more with that chair. Angled, it stuck out in a really bad way and moved a bit it blocked the sideboard. I will try it again Saturday.

We have another sideboard in the dining room already so I wasn’t keen on having the 2nd one on the other side of the window as well. I don’t know what would go on that wall if I did move it. It might make the dining room feel super full??? Hmmm...

• Jen Butler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Played around more with the placement of the chair. Without the side table I can push it back more. Angled for TV viewing in a weird way...but maybe doable. Gosh, it is such a HUGE chair! We had it in our very large bedroom in a nook against a wall and it didn’t seem so huge. Ted, your idea to move it around and wait regarding couch sizes has really helped me rethink things. We love this chair and wanted to use it but...maybe we need to put it in storage along with my amazing antique rocking chair that we didn’t even bring with us. What do you think? Use it or lose it? The recliner is also Stickley and nice, but we wanted to use the chair instead. Thoughts? If you had to start from scratch in this room, what pieces would you include?

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

I was wondering if the recliner was Stickley also. You have some very nice pieces.

Before we boot the chair to storage have you tired it where it originally was under the window but moved down a bit towards the fireplace cabinet and then the front is angled more towards the middle of the room?

• Jen Butler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, Ted! My husband traveled to the Stickley headquarters and had all of the pieces custom made—before we had kids.

Yes, angled and down a bit works. But, doesn’t provide more seating. I don’t know what goes with it that provides that.

Am I right that a small sectional along the long wall, wrapping into the middle would not work? Then that chair pretty much where it is? I know sectionals really don’t seat the most people and are big, but maybe I shouldn’t fight against it? Maybe that works best?

• tedbixby
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Well, this is where it gets tricky.. we have to figure out optimum seating with the chair and without and then you and hubby have to figure out what is the most important if necessary- chair or number of seats.

Let's work on the room with the chair in it. It sounds like the best place in the room and where you like the chair placed is near the fireplace and angled. If so, is there enough room to place a chair between that chair and the door? With maybe the side table between? Angling the new chair (I'm thinking maybe your rocker if you could get your hands on it or the recliner) towards the trunk.

• Jen Butler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So, angled against the window wall doesn’t work well either. It just sticks out too much. I could buy another chair like it and place them side by side...? That would look good, but not a place you could lay out to watch TV. If we did a sectional on the other side and left the chair where it is (maybe moved over towards the fireplace a bit) we could keep the chair. The sectional would provide a straight forward view of TV. Would it cut off living room too much? I like the open feel of it right now. Sectional could seat 5 at most. Then we would have seating for 6 only. ??? Two couches facing plus the recliner is seating for 7. Our thought was that we could add some square poufs to sit on that might sit in front of the fireplace and could move around...? I do like that a sectional wild also make that awkward space by the sideboard go away. It would fill it. Thoughts?

• Jen Butler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is what the chair looks like moved toward the fireplace and angled. It just doesn’t look huge until you start to angle it. Then it becomes the thing that ate the room!

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

Looking at the photo I'm not feeling it is overwhelming the room at an angle but you are there in person which tells a better story. Also it might look that way as there is nothing else by it to balance it and that side of the room. That said how do you feel keeping it there but not angled? Is there enough room where the basket is to put another chair? For fun you could try a dining chair where the basket is and see how the big chair feels to you.

• Jen Butler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lorrie and Ted, thanks for your thoughts. Lorrie, the rug is NOT staying. Just there because my husband wanted something under his feet. It is an indoor/outdoor rug that I think looks silly but we have nothing else for now. It is going in the basement when we get a real rug. I might see if I can talk the hubby into removing it as I think it is also clouding the vision of this room.

I also am not a huge fan of the coffee table, but my husband loves it. It also has great storage. For now I just keep it. It is super hard to move. Very heavy... I will see what I can do.

I also agree that chair is at its best under the window, against the wall. Yes, it can be moved over and there is plenty of room for a chair next to it.

We do need a table on the other side of the room. I agree that it should probably be switched. My husband needs the table next to the recliner for now to set things as he works. We need to buy a table for the other side for sure.

Tomorrow I think I am going to move the oversized chair temporarily to see how maybe a sectional would feel moving into the room facing the fireplace. I don’t think the sectional provides the most seating... I think my biggest searing option is two couches plus recliner.

• Matthew Smith
    4 years ago

Anybody can guide you to get this size or that size. I want to approach slowly and carefully and ensure each progression feels directly before moving onto the following. What's more, after 2 yrs on Houzz, I've discovered that most of individuals that post their room estimate ordinarily aren't right and the furniture typically winds up to be unreasonably enormous for the space so this has driven me to be progressively efficient when helping individual Houzzers. I'm a major adherent of blue taping the territory and perceiving how it is to stroll around it. What might be said about lighting on each side, tables on its sides? So on the off chance that you are open to working along these lines, we'll go ahead with one another and if not (which I won't disapprove with), I can knock this string a couple of times and give it more presentation so ideally somebody can offer you sizes absent much idea. In the event that you need to be orderly with me, at that point before settling on the couch's sizes, I'd like you to move the seat and table in that spot so we can get a feeling of how it occupies the room. At that point on the off chance that it "feels" appropriate to you, at that point we can make sense of what size of couch on that long divider. What's more, who knows, another individual Houzzer may appear and give you some info, as well.

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

I agree that your biggest seating option is 2 couches and the recliner. Unless the sectional is very large, the seat in the corner is useless. Also, for the size of your room I think the sectional is going to overwhelm it . And if down the road if you move or replace, the 2 sofa's will be easier to work with or sell.

Here are a couple of inspirational photos in smaller space. Note that the sofas do not match and the first photo has a stool next to the sofa for additional seating which you could do.

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

I came across this photo which I thought may help give you an idea of what a sectional would feel like and how much seating area you would have from it as the room appears to be similar in width to yours.

Ignore the chair and tv area

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

If you are able to move the trunk further away from the fireplace you may have enough room to add 2 stools in front of the fireplace. Though they won't be the most comfortable to sit on but ok for kids.

• Jen Butler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

These are super helpful! Thanks. I do like the first one best, and that was the idea/look I was originally going for. I think stools that could move around could be helpful. Nice to see two couches that don’t match. I don’t know if I can afford to get two now so that helps if I can’t get the same one again. I also like the “over time” look as opposed to “bought everything at once” look. Hopefully we can go furniture shopping again once the holiday is over. I will update with any purchases or new “ahas”.

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

If you live in or are near a large city, I and OP's that I've helped have had pretty good luck finding art and furniture on Craigslist and FB Market Place.

Also, if you find a sofa that you like, don't be afraid to ask the salesperson what the discount would be if you purchase 2. Don't be afraid to call around to other dealers that carry the brand and ask what your price would be if you purchase 2. If the dealer only has to write up paperwork, some times they can justify an easy sale by offering a larger discount.

Look forward to hearing about your progress.. good luck.

• Jen Butler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, we do live near a large city. We have looked a bit on Craigslist and FB Marketplace. I am a teacher, so my classroom is pretty much a mix of Ikea, Craigslist and FB! Ha! Thanks also for the tips about purchasing furniture. I think patience is my friend here...trying to not be in a rush to get it finished, instead I want to get it right. Thanks!

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

If you have the time to wait, patience can pay off. I'm just finishing helping an OP with her entire log home (pictured below) where we started from scratch. We've been working on it for 7 months now (pretty much daily) but we had a lot more to look and buy for than you will. Many pieces of art, accessories and furniture were picked up off those sites but we had to look daily and also it helped having a husband with a truck and muscles-lol.. The sofas she called around for pricing and because she was ordering 2 got an extra discount, the Pottery Barn dining table & chairs, like new, came from Craigs List. Scored that find for $1500. Otherwise new I think it would be close to $4K. And the horse picture she purchased off of FMP for $250. which was done by a well known artist and if new would have cost over $2K. That brings up another point. When the OP went to that person's house to purchase a lamp she asked him if he had anything else he was thinking of selling and he showed her this painting. Every time she went to look at something she always asked if they had anything else they were selling and quite often they did but hadn't listed it. I'm just mentioning this as though you may be only looking for sofa's, you may just stumble across something that you didn't think you needed :) Good luck in your search.

• erinsean
    4 years ago

You have gotten good advice. What would it look like if you had you're big chair facing the fireplace....sort of a room divider and your recliner angled on the left side of the fireplace. Then it you got two couches, you would be set. Arrange lamps and tables to look cozy.

• Jen Butler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ted, gorgeous room! Thanks for sharing. Yes, we will need to work at it and be patient. I have a super handy and strong hubby to move and make things happen once we find the right pieces.

Erinsean, thanks for your positive comments. I think buying couch #1 will help get the ball rolling with where the rest can go. We want to view the TV so we need to take that into account, but I think I’m going to try the recliner in different places as you suggest. We are going to look this weekend, after the crazy holiday. Our little community celebrates the 4th of July in a big way, so we have lots going on!

Again, thank you for your ideas! Fun to have others to collaborate with! I will update soon! After the couch, I am going to need a rug. That will probably be a new discussion thread.

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

I came across this stacking stool at Bed, Bath & Beyond ($22. each) and thought that maybe a few of these you could store and then pull out when you entertain (take up less space than folding chairs) and then you don't have to be as concerned about having permanent "x" amount of seating for entertaining. And you can always pull a few dining chairs into the LR area, too, if necessary.

• Jen Butler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Tedbixby! Just wanted to update you on our room, just in case you were wondering what became of me. Couch came today. Marriage compromise-comfort was my husband’s priority. You can see we also bought a rug. We now know we cannot keep the large Stickley chair. For now the recliner is staying, as is the oversized navy blue chair. In the future I think we need to either get two swivel chairs or a smaller couch to replace it. I need to style the coffee table and we need some art above the couch, but all in good time. Hubby said yes to a plant to fill that awkward space between recliner and sideboard. Have to get landscaping done outside in front and back first before we spend more $$ on furniture.

This room isn’t 100% what I had in mind, but oh well. Over time we can change it and make it better. I am just thankful to not have an indoor/outdoor rug in there anymore, and the large couch is really comfy. Not magazine photo perfect by any stretch. I am sure many are cringing at our choices, as I am a bit, but had to compromise.

Anyway, thanks again for your help. Encouraging me to move things around and try things in different places helped. Thanks also for your positive, helpful comments.

• Jen Butler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks to Erin, Ana, and Lorrie too for your helpful, encouraging comments.

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

Happy to help. Everything looks great so you should be proud how you and your husband worked your way through it. And I have to tell you that I think the large couch looks good because it helps balance the trunk better in the room. Where before the trunk looked too large. Eventually a piece of art over the sofa will pull the room together totally and the only other thing you might want to consider down the road is going to a taller lamp on the table. With your larger furniture it looks a bit too small and also, to have interesting visual contrast you want to have different heights in a room and the height of the lamp ( at least in the photo) appears to be too close to the height of your new sofa and perhaps even the recliner. If you want to just experiment to see how the space would look with a taller lamp, just put a bunch of books under the lamp to raise it and then you'll know if that is something to consider later on.

I really appreciate you letting us know what you ended up doing. And do keep us posted as you do your little tweaks to the room. Enjoy your new home and town.

• Jen Butler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. Will try with the lamp heights.

• Jen Butler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Just wanted to update for tedbixby and a few others who helped me with my living room. It is STILL a work in progress, but we did buy couches and a rug. Need art still for sure. That piece is going but we needed something there! Here is what the space looks like as of 2 days ago!

• Jen Butler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

One more

• Jen Butler
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>And, yes, we have two TVs for now...during college FB season we always have 2! It is in the left shelf. It will go away in January.
  • tedbixby
    4 years ago

Looks GREAT :) The sofas really balance the other pieces. Before those pieces looked so large in the room. I like the rug. You've done a great job. And I didn't even notice the 2nd TV-lol...

Thanks for giving us an update and look forward to seeing the final touches. And I hope you are enjoying your new home and community.

• shwshw
    4 years ago

Just found this dilemma. Such a great upgrade.

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

One question. What happen to the floor lamp? Did you try it next to the sofa by the door? Ok , that is 2 questions-lol...

• Jen Butler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The lamp is in the basement/storage for now. I might try it by the door. I was thinking that too.