SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_955290593

Need some help with kitchen layout: peninsula or island?

Kristy Seaman
4 years ago

As usual my husband and I are butting heads on our kitchen layout. Of course its a friendly disagreement! With the help of a kitchen designer, I came up with a layout that includes a peninsula. My husband would like an island. Now, I would love an island because I feel it opens up the space and doesn't make it feel blocked off from the rest of the house, but our layout is challenging. We have a garage door that is used primarily as the main entrance to the house and adjacent to that is the basement door where we have a finished family room and laundry room. So, there is a lot of traffic that moves through the kitchen every day. Additionally the space is small and it seems to me that an island would just get in the way. However, in an attempt to compromise with my dear husband I am willing to look at any other options/advice on the layout of this stinkin kitchen. The floorpan is attached with the current design including a peninsula. On a side note, we will have minimal upper cabinets so that does affect the need for additional lower cabinets. Also, the refrigerator wall WILL have 2 tall pantry cabinets rather than what is shown in the image. Thanks so much!

Comments (23)