SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ritaweeda

I'll find out if this is scientifically precise or not today...

ritaweeda
4 years ago

I've been wanting to try to make my own sourdough starter and bread for a long time and kept chickening out. Every time I read through the instructions I decided it's just too complicated. And every recipe I see is different. So I happened to watch an old Julia Child episode on PBS the other day where she had a guest on that made the sourdough starter and then made decorative loaves with it. I wasn't too interested in the decorative loaves but they were pretty. So the starter that he does is a stiff one - he called it the "levain". His name is Joe Ortiz, wrote a very successful bread baking book. Anyway I followed the directions and already on the second step it wasn't going well. He said to break off a walnut-sized ball of the starter and mix it with specific amounts of flour and water. There was no way that the amount of water or starter was going to mix with the flour, way too dry and stiff. So I said to myself, "it's just flour and water, who cares?" So I just wound up putting in all the starter (it was still pretty stiff). And now I'm at the final refreshment and later will attempt to make a loaf. We'll see if what I did was a disaster or not. I'm hoping that since there are so many ways to do it that this will work regardless of the instructions otherwise. I also have enough of the original starter left to store in the frig. if this turns out well I can continue to make bread.

Comments (39)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm