SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcorn1

Costco appliance installation- a question and your experience?

J Corn
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We want to install a new double wall oven to replace our old one. Costco offers “free installation and delivery “of GE appliances through GE installers they use for delivery and installation. GE has a guaranteed fit option ( I know there are limitations and detailed terms) We’ve had very good experiences with other apppliance purchases from Costco but they were basically simple installations...no home modifications required.

Has anyone here dealt with Costco for installation of appliances ? Did installers make small modifications to wall cutouts as needed?

We are interested in purchasing a GE oven from Costco. They not only offer the best price around but an extra 2 years on the warranty . We had an electrician verify that our electrical system, breakers, oven wiring , amps, etc... will work with the new oven.. He also disconnected the old oven (which is already dead) and removed it from the wall.

The only remaining question is whether we need to hire a carpenter and expand the wall cutout before delivery. We’ve measured our cutout as well as the dimensions of the new oven and we think tneres a possibility the current wall cutout will need to be expanded. it’s also possible that it won’t.

The catch is that Costco installation info indicated that the installers don’t make ANY modifications to wall cutouts.,,they don’t expand them in they are too small or they don’t add anything to fill in gaps if the cutout is too big, etc. But I also found online info which indicates that they will go beyond basic installation for an added fee. This is confusing,

i did call Costco as well as GE. ( the oven manufacturer) . They say that if we use anyone but their GE installers to install our oven they won’t correct amy installation issues which later arise. So having the installers simply drop off the oven and leave is an issue..

I haven't yet found a double wall oven which exactly matches the dimensions of our oven wall cutout. Some are an inch or two shorter, some longer, etc.

Our currrent wall oven is 48” high, according to the manufacturers spec sheet but the actual wall cutout needed was shorter because the oven lip accounted for several inches of the total height and the lip extended past the cutout opening. We are facing a similar situation here. The specs indicate the oven is 51 inches high.

Advice? Experiences? We want to cover our bases before installion.

Comments (19)