SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephen_r_duggins

Hosta Overdose(s)

Last weekend was the Hosta tailgate, and I'm pretty sure a grand time was had by all. Made a couple stops at nurseries on the way up and loaded up on Japanese Maples at Maplestone Ornamentals and a funky pine tree at Suncrest. Made it to the Friday night party, met Miles and Pandora and chatted for a bit while I anxiously looked over at the vendor tables. Finally made it over to Emerald Forest. No Krugerrand, no Kaleidochrome, no Diva, no Devil's Advocate but he's got Roy Klehm at the nursery. OK, it's early off to more vendors. Some interesting stuff - Jack Berry and other new stuff, but nothing I absolutely need and I'm trying not to buy anymore. Played some Hosta bingo, bid on some silent auction items and then the auction begins. Second item is Daybreak. I'll take that for $10. Hope I can keep my paddle down most of the night. I had fun bidding on several items, but let them go. Then Krugerrand comes up. I was not expecting it, but my paddle stayed in the air until it was mine - for only $15. Hmm, I would have went higher, but only a couple of eyes in a big, heavy, wet pot and possibly some root rot. Still, I’m a happy camper. Bought one more - A Valley’s Top seedling. A great old Hosta, a hard to find one on the list and an unknown. Only three, not too bad.

The next day, off to visit people’s garden’s, but what’s this? The 2nd garden on our trip is also selling Hostas. And they have Etched Glass which I tried to get online, but didn’t come through. Pick that one up and . . . OK, Surfer Girl is cute and little. I can find space for that. Another garden and a hybridizer, who’s also selling. Three of his originals. Only $25, surely I can get one of those. I saw a very nice Gilt by Association at a previous garden and they’re selling it here. Sold. Maybe I don’t need his special Hosta, then I might as well get Moon Shadow and Iron Gate Glamour while I’m here. OK, another day and 5 more Hosta. Eight for the weekend. I can live with that.

On the way home, we stop at Emerald Forest and spend some time talking to Tom. Tough times on his sale falling through recently, so he’s playing catch up. Carnival for $9, check. Nice full Pineapple Upside Down Cake, $9, check. Here’s the Roy Klehm . . . maybe. . . it’s got no tag, but it looks like it, only $5 then, OK. Might as well get Checkered Cab then too. Great, I survived the weekend getting 12 Hosta and viewing 9 or 10 gardens. I can deal with that, but my Hosta tank is overflowing.

Hey, did you hear? Wade and Gatton is open, and they are selling full pots for the 1-2 crown price. ARE YOU F$%^%$# kidding me. Check in with work. Drive north for a little over an hour and spend 3 hours combing the greenhouses in 85 degree weather. Come home with 21 overflowing pots of Hosta for $300 – after all, this will be my last visit there ever.

I am so done right now, (and broke). Where am I going to put these?

(There's 6 more in the trunk)

Comments (53)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville