SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tarasmom

Help with floor choices

tarasmom
4 years ago

Hi my husband and I are in the midst of replacing floors in our first floor. We will be installing in an open floor plan...entryway, living, dining, kitchen, family room, and to our back door. I also want to add that we would walk in from our garage as well onto the floor. Our budget is around $4 a sq ft. We have 1 small dog that is getting up in years and teenagers/young adults still at home. We are stuck between hardwood, either solid or engineered and luxury vinyl.
In a previous home we had hardwood but was original 40 yr old in wonderful shape flooring that I’m assuming would have been site finished. My understanding is that’s one of the best kind of hardwood to have. However that is not an option now. We both like the idea of hardwood or engineered because of it being more of an investment for the money, but I’m not so sure we can get a quality product in that price range that can hold up to a busy household. We don’t have any intentions of moving at this time however life might dictate otherwise when we are empty nesters and aging becomes a factor. My husband is struggling with the idea of luxury vinyl because of no long time proven track record of how long it may hold up. We are in our late 50’s and would hope to not have to replace again in 10 yrs. And for a very good quality luxury vinyl plank product I know we would have to spend around the $4 range or higher. He is struggling spending the same amt on something he is saying is fake. I understand his struggle but have also come across some very nice lvp. The houses in our neighborhood go for the low to mid $300’s. Our house is on a basement and there is no moisture issues. We get a whole lot of natural light and would like to keep the floors in a light color for hiding any scratches. My head is just spinning due to the choices and so may reviews of any of the 3 can result in a ton of negative reviews with any product out there.
Thanks so much for any and all input.

Comments (4)