SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

June 2019, Week 4

How did this happen? How are we already beginning the last full week of June? It just blows my mind how quickly the time flies by during the gardening season.

I think my brain is behind. I have been complaining to myself all week because I'm having to deal with a ridiculous number of tomatoes. You know, mumbling, grumbling, swearing I won't plant so many next year, trying to figure out why there's just oodles of tomatoes piling up everywhere, and yet there's still many more to harvest the next day and the next and the next. I think my brain thinks it is earlier in the growing season than it is, so I'm not mentally prepared for either the summer heat or the heavy tomato harvest. So there. I understand it now. My brain may think it is early June or mid-June, but the calendar and the tomato harvest are screaming "It is late June, you big dummy!" lol lol lol. The tomato plants are doing exactly what they do in June in the years when I plant in March and I just need to accept it, stop whining and get them all harvested and processed because it is the peak of the season here. Yanking out the plants after I harvest their main crop is helping, because it means there's fewer plants from which to harvest the next day.

Tim made dinner. He chose some common, run-of-the-meal red tomato for BLTs and by the time I went into the kitchen, he had it sliced up and ready for sandwich-making. Ugh. Had I been making dinner we would have had a Black Krim tomato or maybe a pink Greek Rose or Brandy Boy. Oh well, there's always tomorrow. Y'all know that hybrid red tomatoes are my least favorite and I tend to use them to make salsa.

I don't even know what the list of garden chores for this week would be. Are we going to have the heavy rain on Sunday and Monday that will make getting work done outdoors fairly hard to do? Will the rain skip us and we'll just have the heat and humidity? So, this is my imagined list of chores if the rain does not come pouring down:

Weed, weed, weed.

Harvest.

Mulch, mulch, mulch.

Scout squash plants for bugs, and keep an eye out for more stink bugs and leaf-footed bugs. I've been killing every one I see, but there's an endless procession of them showing up.

Container plants need to be watered daily now that it is so hot here, so I need to remember to stay caught up on that chore.

Mowing and then using the string trimmer to tidy up all the edges of the mowed areas, fence lines and such.

For fall tomatoes, it is time to take and root cuttings.

Oooh, scout tomato plants and remove diseased leaves. Spray with a fungicide if needed. I almost forgot about this one.

Succession plant if needed so no garden space is wasted.

Deadhead any blooming plants that need it.

Add summer color with blooming annuals or with colorful foliage plants. I am amazed by how many plants the stores here still have. No one is doing really big clearance sales yet down here. I think they've been hoping people will be doing more planting now that the deluge of rainfall has lessened over the last few weeks. There's a lot more of the true heat lovers in the stores now: purslane, rose moss, periwinkle, angelonia, copper plants, Joseph's coat, sun coleus, tropical hibiscus, pentas, crossanda, ornamental sweet potatoes, cannas, banana trees and the like.

Pruning. Remember to prune any shrubs or trees putting out branches in inconvenient or undesirable places.

Catalogs! I've received three fall/winter gardening catalogs over the last few weeks. Looking at them is a way to stay indoors and stay cool on a hot summer day.

That's about all I can think of.

I hope everyone has a great last week of June. I think it is safe for all of us to assume the weather only gets hotter and steamier as we move towards July.

Dawn

Comments (32)