SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jay_porter

California classic w/ tons of light — best floor finish?

Jay Porter
4 years ago

Good problem to have, we’re under contract with our dream home in Napa... some dated details to restore over time but great bones, incredible landscaping and protected view. My initial design impulse is “California eclectic” with a mix of craftsman, mid-century and modern elements.

The entire main level (kitchen, living, dining and master bed) floors haven’t been redone in 20+ years and will have to be refinished before we move in, and I can’t make many other choices before I settle on floor color/finish. Pretty sold on matte finish but paralyzed by the choices of color. There is so much light I feel like I can go fairly dark, but we have dogs so I don’t want something that shows every speck. I’d love to bring out more of the grain and variation in planks but don’t want to go “full rustic.”

I love the kitchen cabinets so need to balance them (don’t think anything w grey tones will work). All other wood cabinetry and trim in the house is dated and on my list for updating. I do have a designer I work with but would love thoughts from this group. (These are staging photos, obviously, and I will test a few colors.) Thanks!

Comments (12)