SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fawnridge69

Barbecue rubs and sauces

Since we're on the topic of barbecue, I thought I'd share some of my experiences with dry rubs and sauces. Let's get sauces out of the way first.

Good barbecue don't need no sauce. Okay, that's that. The fire's lit. Throw stones. I'm not against barbecue sauce, I just don't think you really need it if you season and cook your meat properly. It's a condiment like ketchup and mustard, one that immediately changes the flavor of your meat. If you're cooking pork ribs, you want them to taste like pork ribs, not sauce. If you over-cook your ribs, then sauce will hide them. If your pulled pork has no flavor because you didn't use enough dry rub or smoke, then you can add sauce to fix the problem. Sauce then becomes a repair tool, something to fix your mistakes. You'll become a better barbecue cook if you rely less on liquid and more on dry - let us taste the meat. The next time you barbecue, put the sauce on the side and ask your guests to first taste the meat without it. If you've cooked it correctly, your guests are going to surprise you with their comments!

That having been said, I do use barbecue sauce as a final, very light glaze on my ribs and I do put it out for people to add to whatever I barbecue, just like I leave a bottle of ketchup out for those who require it on well-done steak.

Dry rubs are the original seasonings for barbecue. Everything from simple salt and pepper up to complex compounds of twenty or more different spices. A good combination of spices will enhance the flavor of the meat, changing it but not enough so that you can't discern chicken from pork or beef from lamb. What makes a good dry rub? In a word - balance. As soon as you use the word "too" for any flavor - too hot, too sugary - your dry rub is out of balance. Dry rubs should be simple. I've read the labels of dozens of pre-mixed rubs in the store. If you eliminate the preservatives, most of them have around 5 or 6 key components. The simplest rub - salt and pepper - is the best place to start and usually all you need. The more you add, the more complex and perhaps muddled the flavor becomes until the underlying meat is a mystery.

I use a very basic rub of garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, turbinado sugar, cayenne pepper, and small amount of garam masala for pork. The garlic powder takes the place of salt, as I cook salt-free. The chili powder and paprika are balanced by the turbinado sugar (burns at a much higher temperature) and the cayenne pepper adds just a bit of heat.

Regardless of what you use for your particular rub, the finer you grind it, the more it will absorbed by the meat. And you really do have to rub it in. Don't just sprinkle your rub on the meat. For larger cuts, separate the muscles and get your rub as deep into the tissues as you can. Make sure the meat is as dry as possible before applying your rub; you don't want to make a paste. For years I covered a Boston butt in olive oil before rubbing it. As soon as I stopped, I got so much more flavor from the rub. Same for mustard on a brisket. Lots of competition cooks still slather their beef in yellow mustard and then put on the rub. It's just a waste of mustard. And dry rub doesn't need to be on the meat for a long period of time. I've tried ribs that we let stand for an hour versus ribs that sat overnight with rub - no difference. A couple of hours and you're ready to cook.

Barbecue is simple cooking. The more you try to make it complex, the less satisfied you'll be with the results. Happy smoking!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone