When They See Us on Netflix

Debby

I'm surprised I haven't seen a post about this 4-part series yet. It is about the Central Park Five, who were children when they were falsely accused and convicted of raping and leaving for dead, the Central Park Jogger back in the 80's. They are now known (as they should be) the Exonerated Five.

Have you watched it? Will you watch it? What are your thoughts since watching it, if you already have?

We watched the series about 2 weeks ago. The forth episode was especially heart breaking and so difficult to watch.

After watching this, it's so important for ALL parents to make sure your children know at an early age, that if ever taken into police custody for questioning never answer their questions, and ALWAYS ASK for an attorney. Make sure you ASK. The second you ask for one, the questioning has to stop. That is an American legal thing though, not Canadian. Here in Canada you can request an attorney and still be required to answer questions.....

After the 4-part series is over, there is a one hour Oprah show. Her guests are the five who played the boys as children, and the 4 who played them as adults. Only the one actor who played Korey played both roles and he deserves and award for his portrayal. Afterwards, the five men whom the movie was based on, are interviewed. While they are all broken and trying to find their way back into the world 17 years after their exoneration, Antron was crushed. I wanted to reach through my tv screen and hold him and hug him and tell him the world loves him and he's going to be okay. What his father did along with what the courts and prison system did to him, was too much and he may never heal.

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

SaveComment21Like
Comments (21)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
liira55

I want to watch it as it was recommend to me, but don't know if I can handle it. I heard the last episode is heart wrenching.

1 Like Save    
ont_gal

looking it up right now-thanks for the recommendation

Save    
Bookwoman

I don't want to watch it, as it's too painful. I remember that time well, when he-who-shall-not-be-named took out a full-page ad in multiple newspapers proclaiming their guilt and calling for the death penalty.

Save    
joyfulguy

Thank you for your message, Debby.

I hope that some of you who are reluctant may find the courage to check it out, even if you invite a friend who would be willing to offer support.

There are many difficult issues abroad in the world these days, which we need to consider, especially we who live in fortunate countries, for our valued freedoms and levels of democracy may well be at serious risk.

ole joyful

5 Likes Save    
MrsM

Just started watching it yesterday. I'm an episode and half in. Plan on picking up where I had to leave off. I remember when this happened so well, and like a lot of people at the time just assumed yeah-they're guilty. I didn't really follow the case after they were convicted, but now after watching how they were coerced and bullied by the police in that precinct, I'm disgusted at how they were treated. My understanding from listening to NPR yesterday with the actual filmmaker was that a lone man was eventually arrested and convicted of the crime. And yes Bookwoman as you stated above that is true and yet he who shall not be named still believes they were guilty.

1 Like Save    
lefleur2

His name is Donald Trump...right?

1 Like Save    
joyfulguy

And, not much of a drunk, he can scarcely be accused of having the "DT"s, right? ... so far.

o j

Save    
sephia_wa

I just watched the first episode. It was very hard to watch. I'll watch the other three this weekend. And yes, Trump is still hollering that they're all still guilty.

1 Like Save    
Debby

While you may think the show is hard to watch and don't want to watch it for that reason, imagine being these children: especially Korey, and being in prison for something you didn't do.

Save    
chisue

I remember the actual event too well. I don't want to relive it. And, yes, the Current Occupant of the Oval Office was and is a hateful, bully. (How did *that* happen?)

1 Like Save    
joann_fl

I watched the first one last night. I don't think I will continue with it. The law just stinks.

Save    
Kathsgrdn

Started watching it tonight. On episode 3 now. So sad.

1 Like Save    
vicsgirl

I was living in NYC when it all happened. i remember hearing about the jogger's gruesome injuries, amazing she ever recovered. Everyone in the city wanted to find whover did it. , I was shocked when the four boys were arrested, and 'railroaded' thru the legal system. Ii don't want to watch it re-created for TV viewing. This is not entertainment, at least not for me.

1 Like Save    
matthias_lang

Oh, yes, he shall be named. Donald J. Trump. Let me know if this is shown in the series.

Save    
Kathsgrdn

Matthias, yes showed the tv coverage of him.

Save    
dedtired

I’m another who just can’t watch painful subjects like this. Not that I am pretending it didn’t happen, but it just hurts so much to relive it,

Save    
girlnamedgalez8a

I just finished the show and the follow up with Oprah. I cannot stop thinking of those men. I believe everyone should see this just as I thought that everyone in the us should have watched Roots. This was so tragic.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Debby
Debby

girlnamedgalez8a, I agree with you 100%. People need to watch this to understand why this should never happen again. This series is also why I am 100% dead against the death penalty in most cases. There are men and women in prison for crimes they didn't commit based on a cops and prosecutors who just want to find *someone* to put the blame on. And when they find that weak minded person, bam! They make the citizens of the world feel safe again and they have another mark on their career and for some reason, they all sleep well at night, even knowing they have the wrong person. Which to me makes them very guilty of a crime themselves.

1 Like Save    
girlnamedgalez8a

Debby, as someone in Oprah's audience said "Justice" is the wrong word for the system that did this to those boys and so many others.

2 Likes Save    
amicus

Watched it all last night. It's a horrendous shame when innocent people end up in prison for any length of time. But IMO it's even worse when it happens to young people, whose minds are still so impressionable, making them so vulnerable to whatever they experience, during their time of incarceration. If morals and character traits are not yet fully developed, the imprisoned youth can so easily become hopeless and hardened, and basically live down to the expectations of a convicted felon, because they were taken out of 'normal' society so young. It's terribly sad what these young boys went through, but so admirable that they were able to rise above the injustice they experienced. Thanks Jasdip, for posting this!

Save     Thanked by Debby
Debby

actually....................... I posted this............. ;) But yes, you are so right. Only one of the boys kept falling into a life of crime and was back in prison when word got out that a convict in another prison finally admitted that it was he and he alone who committed the crime that the boys were accused of committing. They are all doing really well now, some with families of their own. Mentally, however, I don't know that they'll all ever be "okay".

1 Like Save    

Related Stories

Decorating Guides See What Happens When 1 House Takes On 8 Wallpapers
A designer dives into unfamiliar territory for a color- and pattern-loving Chicago homeowner
Full Story
Fun Houzz Take a Behind-the-Scenes Tour of Netflix’s ‘Grace and Frankie’
Set decorator Beauchamp Fontaine explains the design decisions behind the home sets featured in the new Netflix series
Full Story
Most Popular Building Permits: When a Permit Is Required and When It's Not
In this article, the first in a series exploring permit processes and requirements, learn why and when you might need one
Full Story
Kitchen Design Houzz Call: Show Us Your Fabulous DIY Kitchen
Did you do a great job when you did it yourself? We want to see and hear about it
Full Story
Kitchen Design Love to Cook? We Want to See Your Kitchen
Houzz Call: Show us a photo of your great home kitchen and tell us how you’ve made it work for you
Full Story
Weddings Houzz Call: Show Us Your Backyard Wedding!
Did you say ‘I do’ at home? We want to hear and see everything about it. Share your photos and you could be featured in an upcoming ideabook
Full Story
Inside Houzz Houzz Call: Show Us the Photo That Inspired Your Project
By Houzz
Did a Houzz photo jump-start a room design or whole new house? We want to see it!
Full Story
Holidays Houzz Call: Show Us Your Cool Dad at Home
Share a photo of your dad at home. You might see it in an upcoming Father’s Day feature on Houzz
Full Story
Exteriors Houzz Call: Show Us Your Home’s Exterior Makeover
Have you improved the curb appeal of your house? If so, we’d love to see the before-and-after
Full Story