SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jewelisfabulous

Sold! Sold! Sold!

jewelisfabulous
4 years ago

It's been a long time in the making, but I wanted to follow up on my previous post: https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5415649/reasonable-cost-for-a-market-analysis#n=13

Based on the advice in that thread, I hired an appraiser last fall to value the house. Then, I reached out to the potential buyers to see if a FSBO would be possible. I was very surprised to learn neither was interested in purchasing the house.

This spring, I interviewed the two top producing agents in the town and gave them a tour of the house. As we went along, I was very upfront on the work that needed to be done. One of the realtors made copious notes and set up a second visit to come back with her market analysis. The other did none of that; in fact, I never heard from him again (other than hearing his comment through the grapevine that he felt I listed the house too high). So, naturally, I listed with the first agent at a price that took into account the maintenance, needed updates, and a little cushion for negotiation.

Within a week of the listing hitting the MLS, there were seven showings and one gave a nearly full price offer. I was a bit dubious about the buyer as it seemed she was skating pretty close to the edge financially given that the house needed work. Sure enough, she backed out after the inspection. However, just 5 days after that, a second offer came in. It was lower, but we negotiated a satisfactory compromise. The buyer had the inspection completed in record time, signed off on that contingency, and we were off to the races.

We have now closed. The house brought in 14% more than the appraisal, 10% more than the price the other realtor thought it should be listed at, and 2% more than the comps. I felt the whole process went very smoothly due, in large part, to info posted on this thread that I've read over the years. So, thanks, everyone!

Comments (4)