Literacy accuracy

Jasdip

I don't notice a lot of errors when reading books but this one sure jumped out at me.

It's a light-hearted, predictable romance novel, a chef is making rhubarb pies, and picking the rhubarb at it's peak. Then it mentioned being October and the pumpkins are ready.

Nooooo, rhubarb isn't a fall vegetable, it comes out in June. This irks me.

SaveComment15Like6
Comments (15)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bookwoman

Copy editors and fact-checkers have gotten very scarce in the publishing world, with a few exceptions such as The New Yorker. I find typos in a lot of books that I read, as well as errors of fact.

Naomi Wolf's most recent book has been delayed by her publisher because of a basic error that undermines her whole thesis; it could have been caught by rigorous fact-checking: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jun/14/naomi-wolf-faces-new-questions-as-us-publisher-postpones-latest-book

Save    
Uptown Gal

Too many "fill in the blanks plotting" authors out there and publishing way

too many series. Greatest "bad writing" is rampant with today's Newspaper

Reporters.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

" rhubarb at it's peak "

Only because it's (correct form) you and your heading is literary accuracy.

I read a lot of non-fiction books and the fact checking misses can be appalling. I just finished reading an interesting bio of Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss) and the author AND the apparently East Coast based editors repeatedly mixed up the location of two different medical centers. Two very fine medical school-based institutions, both renowned for research and expert docs, are UC San Diego and UC San Francisco. Aka UCSD and UCSF. They're about 500+ miles apart so not easily confused with one another. The abbreviations also give a clue, but no, UCSF isn't in San Diego. Not that it matters but because of the mixups, it's not clear to me which he went to for consultations when.

2 Likes Save    
bpath Oh Sophie

Elmer, autocorrect often changes its to it's when we don't expect it!

Years ago I read a book by the parent of one of my kid's classmates. I fell obligated to finish it, even though it was rife with errors. The most common error was, if a word had a homophone, the wrong spelling was often used. The words sounded the same but were written differently, completely changing the meaning to, well, meaningless.

I think the novel was probably published by a vanity press, so no editors to speak of.

Save    
patriciae_gw

Jane Austen had apple trees blooming in the wrong month so it can happen to the best but yes it does irritate me. My favorite one though was some historical romance of my mother's that had a young girl coming down a staircase to her first ball with a cluster of Magnolia blossoms on her bosom. My imagination is insufficient for that.

1 Like Save    
happy2b…gw

If you have read Tony's Wife, you may have noted the historic inaccuracies. Transistor radios, not available for consumers until 1949, could not have been used in the 1930's. Pope Pius X ,deceased before the US entered WWI, could not have sent a marriage blessing in the early 1940's. Tony's bus could not have traveled on the Jersey Turnpike earlier than 1951. My friend wrote to the author who responded that the errors would be corrected in the paperback edition.

Save    
Jasdip

Yikes Elmer!! I'm so sorry!!!! It was unintentional, but good eye! LOL

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Nothing to be sorry about, you gave readers a smile. But you've destroyed my image of you as being superhuman, you're like us other very average people. We all make silly mistakes, though not always as well timed as this one was.

Save    
Jasdip

And I'm one who absolutely hates spelling mistakes and the mis-use of you're, your etc. LOL

Save    
maifleur01

There is also the possibility that the author lives/lived in the Southern Hemisphere when the book was written. I belong to a couple of plant groups where people are confused about seasons/weather/time for planting in Northern vs. Southern. Sometimes even when the poster states where they are located.

Save    
nickel_kg

maifleur, true, but rhubarb and pumpkins wouldn't be ready in the same month regardless of hemisphere.

patriciae, that is so funny -- that must have been quite a sight!

2 Likes Save    
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

patriciae, lol, a funny image indeed!

Save    
aok27502

I was recently reading a novel, and part of the plot was a family who had a room in their basement to prepare for emergencies. It stated that they had solar panels, and a generator to store the electricity. I don't know a whole lot about mechanical things but I know a generator does not store electricity, batteries store electricity. I have since run this by several of my mechanically minded friends and they all agree with me.

Save    
patriciae_gw

Generators generate

I am a bad with films and such. My pet peeve is Queen Elizabeth I or anyone one else before the turn of the last century with bunches of Hybrid Tea roses. I mean really.

Save    
joyfulguy

Regarding generators and batteries, and exclusiveness regarding making and holding ...

... Moms are multi-taskers: both make babies (with help) ... and hold 'em (sometimes with help).

o j

Save