SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
magdalenalee_gw

I'm addicted to genealogy. Anybody else?

MagdalenaLee
8 years ago

It all started with having my DNA tested just for fun. It pretty much said what I thought it would say. "You're white. You're really really white." I'm 53% English/Irish, 28% Northern European, 9% German/French and 10% a smattering of everything else. Oh, and 2.4% of my DNA is from Neanderthals!

So after you receive your results, you can elect to be hooked up with people who have also had their DNA tested and are your DNA relatives. I've been in email communications with a gentleman in England who is my 4th cousin. He's heavily into genealogy and has shared a bunch of surnames within his family tree.

I started working on my family tree and I'm absolutely amazed at what I'm finding. So far, I've gone back to 1225 England. I find it very satisfying because I've never lived around relatives and knowing some family history has really given me a sense of belonging.

I assumed my whole family came from farmers in the hills of Kentucky and Virginia. Well, that is true, but there's so much more:

- Indirect descendant (cousin) of Dollie Madison

- Indirect descendant (uncle) of Patrick Henry (Founding Father)

- Direct descendant (9th great grandfather) of Dr. Samuel Johnson (
English poet)

- Indirect descendant (5th great uncle) of James Collinsworth (signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence)

- Direct descendant (7th great grandparents) of James & Elizabeth Thompson (original settlers who founded Nashville TN)

- Direct descendant (6th great grandfather) of Edmund Collinsworth who fought in the American Revolutionary War and served under George Washington at Valley Forge.

- Direct descendant (12th great grandfather) of William Hammond (my maiden name) who was a founding family of Watertown MA which is now, I think, a suburb of Boston.

And I'm currently following a lead on a possible relative who was an original Jamestown settler.

So how about you? Maybe we're relatives!

Comments (32)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus