SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Low stress high growth jobs--ha ha ha!

lpinkmountain
15 years ago

The interesting talking head article in my yahoo portal this morning. Several jobs that are represented here. I don't know about travel agent--Linda can maybe chime in here, but my mom was a librarian. That's definately low stress, but few of those jobs exist and the pay is low to go along with it. The biggest stress is constant staff turnover due to them finding better paying jobs. One of my good friends became a mathemetician--an actuary actually, for an insurance company. He counted the beans and crunched the numbers, didn't have to deal with people and all their ups and downs, and was paid VERY WELL for his troubles. He seemed quite happy. If only . . . my math skills are terrible.

As for conservation scientist, (my field) that guy doesn't know diddly. The realities of the field are the exact opposite of what he says. I wonder where he got his information!? The pie of funding money conservation organizations isn't that big. The competition for jobs and money is INTENSE, it is one hugely cut-throat field. Everyone thinks it is a mellow field because we get to do fun stuff and work outside. Yeah, sometimes. That is when we aren't unemployed due to budget cuts, and when we are employed, we are usually doing the jobs of two to three people due to low budgets. So the time pressure is also intense. And dealing with people who visit parks or public lands is not low stress!! Rarely dealing with unpleasant people--yeah right!

Article: Low Stress, High Growth Jobs

Yes, they do exist. Just ask Laurence Shatkin, Ph.D., author of "150 Best Low-Stress Jobs," and he'll immediately find a match based on your personality type, skill set, and interests. "We all know that stress has very bad effects on your health which lead to a lot of problems," he says.

"People should look for a job situation or niche that's less stressful than the norm. For instance, stress levels are related to the impact of your decisions in life-or-death situations and consequences of your actions on the job."

Read below about several jobs that can enable you to experience low stress along with job satisfaction and career growth.

Mathematician

Although the most stressful aspects of the job are the importance of being exact and a level of competition, in essence it's all good. Shatkin explains, "Mathematicians are not under pressure as this isn't life and death; they're dealing with theoretical realms."

According to the U.S. Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics, a Ph.D. in mathematics is usually the minimum requirement for entry into the field. BLS indicates the average salary in May 2006 was $86,930.

Archivists

While this occupation focuses on planning and overseeing the arrangement of exhibitions of collections, there's a certain degree consistency and low stress levels. Stuart Sidle, Ph.D. and assistant professor of psychology and I/O (industrial organizational) psychology program coordinator, University of New Haven, says, "When people have control over how they organize their tasks, how they behave, the predictability of their job, and the freedom to make a mistake where no one's going to die as a result, they experience low stress."

People typically pursue a bachelor's degree in history or library science prior to entering this field. According to BLS, in May 2006 the average earnings were $40,730.

Foresters and Conservation Scientists

Foresters and conservation professionals typically work outdoors in seasonal activities (think: putting out forest fires and maintaining recreational facilities). They also select and mark trees for thinning or logging, manage forest protection activities and patrol park areas to prevent damage.

Least stressful aspects of the job, as pointed out by Shatkin, are the low level of competition, rarely dealing with unpleasant or angry people, and the lack of time pressures which are normally embedded in higher maintenance occupations. According to BLS, the average earnings were $54,970.

Travel Agents

Some aspects of this profession include computing costs of travel and accommodations, booking various tours, and selling travel packages. Although accuracy is paramount to success on the job, least stressful aspects include a comfortable pace and low frequency of conflict situations.

BLS notes the average earnings are $29,210 and Shatkin points out this job affords flexibility to be self-employed or work part-time.

"Stressors of any job include the duration of the work week, dealing with angry people, confronting situations and competition. People should look for a job situation where normal work hours are encouraged."

Comments (11)