SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1

Is anyone else here getting a very sunless year?

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I have not seen the sun out for more than a few days in a row. Every couple of days it gets cloudy and either stays that way for a few days or rains. I have yet to see the sun stay out for an entire week in a row. It's getting pretty bad.

Weeds are growing like crazy and so is the greenery. But anything that likes heat and hot sun, I can forget that.

My citrus are barely flowering, figs not maturing, the crowns to my roses are either rotting, or the flowers taking forever to open as they rot away, and forget half of my heat loving perennials or corn. That has yet to be planted.

What about you? Are you being ripped off of summer this year, warm sunny days? Then the next ten days doesn't look good for heat either. What is going on?

I think Florida gets a week of heat and sun with no problem, more than we get an entire summer.

Here it is today, after a Sunday of clouds and cool rains, partly sunny yesterday and cool, to all cloudy and cool again today. Tomorrow same and Thursday the same. Maybe sun on the weekend then back to cloudy again. 70 today, that's it with a cool easterly wind again.

We have yet to hit 90, and only 80 something a couple times thus far, almost July?

Mike

Comments (90)

• seil zone 6b MI
    4 years ago

Ingrid, I'm about half a block from the shore line of Lake St Clair. That's the heart shaped lake between Lake Huron and Lake Erie. It's fairly shallow so it doesn't take much wind to get it rolling. We're praying for west winds because east winds will bring the lake in. (Sorry Canada, I know west winds are a problem for you!) The Army Corp of Engineers has checked out our subdivision berm and stated that it's good (still 4ft of clearance) but the canals on either side of the subdivision (which we do not own and can't sandbag) are to low and need to be sandbagged. Unfortunately those associations haven't done their part yet. We've been working with the city and the Army Corp. to get them to do their part. The city is supplying the sand and bags for free and we've volunteered to help them do it but they keep lagging on it.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

Oh, boy Seil, they better get going. My midwest Minnesota sister has horrible gnats/black flies too in her area because of all of the rain.

• Related Discussions

Anyone else missing Carolina wrens this year?

Q

Comments (4)
    Had them all winter long at the feeders and suet and just had one on the screen porch, not a clue as to how it got in unless it came through the ceiling where I've had to remove some plywood sheets because of a leak. With all the damage around here from an EF4 tornado in April I probably won't be able to get a roofing job done on the porch until sometime in the fall. I'll have to get my more agile son to check the vents on the ends of the attic and see if they could have gotten into the attic and then to the Porch. long story short, nope, just as many as always.
    ...See More

Anyone else glad when this year ends on Saturday? (long)

Q

Comments (24)
    I hope 2017 is a better year for you...and all of us. I am sorry the relationship didn't work out and sorry for the loss of your friend. Hugs to you on both accounts. 2016 wasn't the best year for me either....although, I admit, I have had worse...or, some pretty bad years anyway. My husband was in the hospital for 3 weeks, Thanksgiving, 2015. Then he couldn't work for six months. Throw in some boat break downs...more out of work. His brother died in July. They were very close...close in age...11 mo apart, and close in every way. A few months ago, his deckhand fell over board and was in the water for about 30 minutes before he missed her and found her. The water was very choppy, and the net swung around, hit her and knocked her over board. Thank goodness she used to have a pool and is an excellent swimmer. I would have drowned as soon as I went in the water. A couple of weeks ago, he was coming in from shrimping, coming across the bay, at 8 a.m. Had a good morning...on his way back to the dock early. Hit a pipeline that wasn't adequately marked. The buoy was the size of a basket ball and should have been about 4' in diameter. Got a rope and a cable in the propeller and hit so hard that it broke the bell housing off of his transmission. He has had a hard time finding a used one to buy. New is about $2900. He filed a claim and the oil company will pay but from just before Christmas, to after New Year's....they are shut down. So, we wait.......... Well, it sounds like all the bad luck befell my husband, but it all affects me too. Plus, I hurt my shoulder when one of the jacks reared up and I held on to him and then he came down and his hoof hit my back, right where my shoulder joins. I was leading him by holding onto the halter (without a lead rope) and I shouldn't have done that. I don't know when it stopped hurting....it just dawned on me today that it doesn't hurt any more....but now my hip is very bad and I am in constant pain from that. Likewise, can't get a hold of my doctor until after the first. So.......I wait. Yes, I will be glad to see 2017!
    ...See More

Anyone else notice there's a lot less Japanese beetles this year?

Q

Comments (39)
    DublinBay, you said you were hoping to find some rhyme or reason to the beetles population growth/decline. I think it is very unlikely that flooding or excessive rain contributes to their downfall, considering the highly conflicting reports. However, I’d like to hear more from others who experienced severe LACK of rainfall last year, as I did. It’s a fact that the grubs need the fleshy grass roots to do well, and if the the grass is brown and dead from lack of water/rain (as ours was), it is unlikely many grubs thrive. I think this contributed, at least somewhat, to the lessened quantity of beetles I have experienced this year. Granted, if one lives in a neighborhood and there are well watered lawns all about, this wouldn’t be the same. I live in the countryside, and there were no green lawns, no pastures, barely any weeds by the end of summer. Impossible to irrigate miles of hayfields. lol any of you experiencing some relief from The Little Green Devils, do you remember if your summer was rainy or excessively dry?
    ...See More

Signing in here. Anyone else get this?

Q

Comments (22)
    Lars.... Photo groups on FLICKR will turn down photos that are too small. I don't have the option of down sizing....or wanting to. I WANT to be included in the elite photo groups. Downsizing it to post here, then deleting it on my PC.....PIA. ♥ I'm taking a break. Howard Brodsky's group for instance is TOP NOTCH! or this one: Great photos Or this group
    ...See More
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

That seems ridiculous. Sometimes bureaucracy it's hard to understand. I hope you get help soon.

• Kelley_GA8a
    4 years ago

Hey Mike, c’mon down to GA! We’ve had plenty of sun AND rain. Our temps will be low to mid 90’s this weekend. Hope you guys catch a break soon!

• Carol Noble
    4 years ago

I figured it out !! In Massachusetts, they will tax anything so they probably said you will pay a $50.00 tax on days when you can see your shadow. The tax payers have arranged for a permanent cloud cover.

• socalnolympia
    4 years ago

Just keep in mind, in the old days the wealthy from New York City would vacation in Maine during the height of the Summers because it could get pretty hot and humid in New York, whereas the temperatures a little further to the North in Maine remained brisk and cool.

The famous Bretton Woods was one such retreat, which was a popular resort in its day.

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    4 years ago

I'm sorry if my kidding offended, truly! Everything I wrote was meant to be humorous except the part about Maine's economy. That's true. If everybody else, especially Massachussetts, didn't spend money here we really wouldn't have an economy at all. Other than that, I apologize and have deleted my post. Socalnolympia, we still have a large number of people from New York City who summer here. They are always interesting to talk to!

Back to the sun, which has been in hiding while we got at least 1.5 inches of rain today and yesterday... The annuals in my containers are still teeny weeny, waiting on warmth and sun.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

I know. We just had 7 inches of rain in the past week oh. That's too much.

• socalnolympia
    4 years ago

It's already entered the dry season in the "rainy" Pacific Northwest. We won't get any rain until late October at the earliest.

I have to go out and water the citrus plants to keep them alive.

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    4 years ago

Another note on all this rain. Some plants, and almost all annual "weeds" like jewelweed which I allow to grow in some areas, almost had a hissy fit when the sun came out and temps hit nearly 80. They were wilting and sulking. Even some perennials. I'm wondering if all this rain has resulted in very shallow new root growth.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    4 years ago

Even my vegetables - cabbages, broccoli plants - are wilting in the sun today. I think they just get used to the shade and then have to get used to the sun again.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    4 years ago

seil, I looked at your weather forecast and see more rain coming next week. I had no idea you were so close to the lake. Stay safe!

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well, I looked at mine and I see low 70's at the end of next week. 50"s by night. Strange. It feels like September today but at least it's sunny and coolish. No A.C and no watering. Just strange for a summer when it is suppose to be in the 90's by July. No 90's yet. All my plants are still growing slowly, but how ironic that the weeds are going gang busters!

I here you about the sulking plants. It's like they have to get use to the U.V rays after each period of cool and dampness. I guess we could be getting the snow they got in Colorado today then the high 9-;s in a couple days at the same place. That's cray.

Mike

• bklyn citrus (zone 7B)
    4 years ago

I just started getting main crop figs showing, September 23 or thereabouts.....

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So now, while be bask in falls weather for days, Europe which is suppose to be cool like this is bracing for one of the hottest summer on record and earliest to boot. I think I know where our summer is. It's very backwards. Just crazy and scary at the same time.

Here is what Europe is getting while below is what we have been getting for weeks now.Probably months into the future too.

• socalnolympia
    4 years ago

Last Summer was pretty hot in Europe also. Central Italy was as blistering hot as Northern Africa.

Southern France was uncomfortably hot, rather than the typical comfortably hot.

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked socalnolympia
  • blue bayou
    4 years ago

In NJ/Zone 7a, the first 90 F day has lagged behind normal (normally in late May). We had the same nearly sunless Spring but temps were normal and the last frost occured in mid March without any frosty surprises. About to have the first heat wave of the season (three consecutive days over 90 F). Incredibly humid today, cannot work outside. Soils are absolutely saturated. It really needs to dry out. I need to do SERIOUS weeding, but it's like weeding in a jungle at this point..., pointless! Citrus are doing fine but not the same degree of flowering due to dark conditions.

P.S., There has been a lot of writing regarding the changing jet stream. To summarize, it is more sluggish than it used to be and has more pronounced north/south orientations.., rather than being more vigorously zonal (west/east). The jet stream gets STUCK more now, and so do weather systems.So, you get weather that is abnormally..., cold, hot, wet, arid, etc.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Blue, I can sympathize with you! The funny thing is that we are not getting the much needed deeps rains that everyone else is getting and this happens evry year. The roots zones to all my plants are bone dry although it has been cloudy and drizzly.

4 years ago

blue bayou, I appreciate your explanation of why weather seems to be "stuck". That explains the abnormally cool weather we've been having here which makes every day such a pleasure, where normally it would be too hot for me to venture outside during the day. I feel almost guilty when so many of you are caught in miserable weather conditions that seem to have no end.

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

FINALLY, FINALLY. FINALLY!! Now that the sun has started retreating towards fall and the days are shortening by an hour a month, we got a sunny warm day. 60's tonight. Maybe my tree will finally enjoy for a month or two along with all my other plants, espcially my orchids! I just wish we would get some deep rains and thunder. I can't win. lol

• a1an
    4 years ago

I share your pain, with this soggy spring. But the shrubs don't mind.

Many of my annuals have suffered. I've replanted some. I'm thinking about ripping out some soggy stunted annuals and starting from zero. By now, at least roots would have settled in to the point, they get blossom popping. Not this year. soggy

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    4 years ago

Lexington, Ky. lots of rain and clouds, however getting some sun and 90 degree weather, blooms are popping open and Japanese Beetles are feasting on them...I didn’t get my spring mulch done because couldn’t schedule with the rain forecasts. The bushes have grown better than usual with a lot less attention from me.

• bklyn citrus (zone 7B)
    4 years ago

the rain is gone and its in the 90's....yowza, if itisn't a true heat lover.......plants are wilting

• User
    4 years ago

Please send us some of the rain and clouds and coolness,lol! It's hellish here in Tuscany, Italy-temperatures between 90+ and 100 degrees, sun and humidity, day in, day out...and the weather forecast doesn't offer hope. SO depressing...

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    4 years ago

Bart - You have my sympathies. What are your normal temperatures for June? We are heading into 80 and 90 degree temps this next week. I understand much of Europe is having higher than normal temperatures and humidity and lack of rain. We seem to be having weather that I imagine more resembles what England used to have. I read that Paris hit a record 115 yesterday! I sincerely hope it cools down for you soon. I have no illusions that we are going to miss horrible weather ourselves at some point.

I just wonder if it's possible to persuade enough people that climate change needs to be our biggest priority. If we don't start doing something about it, this is not as bad as it's going to get, it's going to get much worse.

4 years ago

Agree, Prairie, the sooner people catch on the better.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Steve, there is something wrong with the whole world weather pattern as far as rising temps into the 90's for the first time ever in Alaska for as long as it has been. It worries me, so yest I do along with many other factors, pollution being a main one.

• socalnolympia
    4 years ago

Well, so far it's been an unusually cool overcast Summer here in Western WA. 62 yesterday and 67 today.

• bklyn citrus (zone 7B)
    4 years ago

If temperatures are rising or falling its part of a natural cycles related to earth/sun/magma inside the earth/changing magnetic fields/etc. etc. (I remember all sorts of predictions from the 70's). Frankly, I'm old enough to remember every combination in every single season, and NY experiences all 4 seasons (hot summers, cool summers, wet summers, dry summers.....use that for every season). The idea that we must give up fossil fuels entirely to replace air pollution with essentially ground pollution is ludicrous and un-achievable anyway. Frankly, the air and water where I am is cleaner than I remember as a kid.

• User
    4 years ago

How old are you exactly,bklyn circus?

4 years ago

Climate change is not just about weather patterns, it's about glaciers melting at a record rate, the ice caps melting, the destruction or near-destruction of many life forms within the last hundred years or so and wildfires and flooding of an unprecedented scale, and steadily getting worse - you have to have your head in the sand to imagine that this catastrophic confluence of events is part of a "natural" cycle.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

When records are being broken at an unprecidented rate, something is terribly wrong..What ever the reason, it's going to affect the way we live, eat and breath and there is nothing anyone is doing to stop it before we all suffer dramatically from it.

• socalnolympia
    4 years ago

I have noticed some unusual weather over the last couple of years.

The 2017-2018 Winter was milder than normal on the Wester Coast, so much so that ornamental basjoo bananas in Seattle did not die to the ground and managed to survive, with their leaves still on them. Camellias were all in Bloom on New Years Day, even roses were trying to blooming, and it was unsusually warm, sunny, and no rain during the Winter. This was the same year that had a devastating freeze on the East Coast. Rosemary plants and palm trees in Maryland were killed. Then the 2018-2019 Winter was colder than usual on the West Coast, a thick blanket of snow in some areas that normally barely see any snow, while the East Coast was fairly mild.

But I can also remember some times in the past that had unusual weather.

• bklyn citrus (zone 7B)
    4 years ago

There is an old saying records are meant to be broken. Areas of this earth were once under water are now dry and vice versa, uninhabitable areas are now habitable, whole continents have moved apart - and continue to, etc etc. I have 2 degrees in science BTW and am 58 years old. I take anything of that nature with a big grain of salt. My head isn't stuck in sand, is corn still growing in the midwest? Is Coney Island still there? Is bangladesh still flooding and full of famine? If you think that wind and solar will satisfy the power needs alone of the world you are sadly mistaken. Much of the proposed answers is wealth redistribution and Now if you are correct that a global warming is being caused by humans and everything must stop, then I suggest a plan be quickly put forth to eliminate about 75% of the worlds human population, keep it at that size, and that should take care of everything. My apartment building will not be heated by solar or wind anytime soon.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    4 years ago

Things changed here..We have been getting plenty of sun for awhile now..

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

The real problem is over population, There should not be more than 1.5 to 2 billion people on this planet. Most of this planets surface should be forested so the ground will hold water and not run off. It would help if we built things that use much less energy, but I don't see this coming with cars/SUV's in my life time. SUVs are too much fun to drive. I am 62 and I remember the 1978 prediction of an ice age coming. I am comfortable working outside in 90+F heat so I am not worried and I enjoy the 2- 6 weeks increase in growing season. with this warmer weather.

Steve

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    4 years ago

SUVs are too much fun to drive? That seems like a poor trade off. Clearly, you don't seem to believe that we have damaged the planet and that is causing a change in climate. Sure you can now enjoy a little longer growing season. I'm not really enjoying it because the weather is too unpredictable in the spring to benefit from it here. But regardless, that is now. If these changes are due to our continued abuse of the planet, then they are going to continue to worsen and it will reach the point where you won't be enjoying it at all and perhaps by then, there will be no way to fix it.

I would say that those in parts of the country who are experiencing prolonged drought unusually high temperatures for unusually long periods of time and flooding are not enjoying it. The people in Europe this summer are having a lot of drought and extended periods of high temperatures. They broke a record in Paris at 115 degrees this summer. And the temperatures in Alaska hit a never before experienced 80 degree temperature this summer.

To me, I can't help but wonder, if we have an opportunity to fix something now, if we could all get on the same page and just do it, and maybe we will pass the point of no return, where there will be nothing we can do to fix it and we will regret our lack of resolve and consensus to get the job done.

4 years ago

Nice summary Prairie.

4 years ago

I agree, prairie, your make many good points. Steve of course is right about the rampaging population being a major cause of what is happening now, and that is a very intractable problem. What it would take now is probably zero population growth (which will not happen) and a concerted, world-wide effort on many fronts (reforestation, clean energy etc.) to at least slow down the catastrophe that is coming towards us at breakneck speed. The latter shows no sign of happening., and so we will be spectators of a tragedy that now seems inevitable, and which will for the most part befall the least guilty, those who are children now, and the animals, wild and domestic, of the world.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well put.

I might ad that the deforestation is just not in the tropical rain forest either.

I remember 5 years ago when route 114 in my area was all forest and farms. I just came from there for the first time in 5 years, and all I saw was pollution, tons of traffic stop lights, huge box stores and lots of malls. Not one forested space for 10 miles on my way home. It's pretty screwed up and they wonder why we get drought here in the summer months, where thunderstorms in my neck of the woods are dependent on forested areas to promote moisture and clouds. Screw my summers.

And you are right, it's gotten to the point where I can't keep much in my yard alive because our winters are thaw, then freeze, they get warm then frigid, springs get frigid and then too warm, summers too cold then extremely hot. Nothing is consistent like the old days.

It just keeps getting worst. Wait until we have to pay an arm and leg for simple farm goods because we can't grow them anymore.

Did I mention the fact that the pollution in China is so thick to population explosion that they have to wear masks and the jet stream can not penitrate through it which cause it to buckle, causing a world wide change in weather patterns. Not looking good.

Mike

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    4 years ago

I just can't believe it is not possible to make changes that would make a difference. When I look at the amount of money and resources we squander on things that are less important, it's hard to understand human beings.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yup. all GREED . Money speaks higher volumns than the environment I guess.

• blue bayou
    4 years ago

We are still waiting for the new "NORMAL". We are not there yet..., thus the record cold, heat, drought, floods, unpredictabilty in all seasons. World climates are moving to a new "homeostasis", we're not there YET. Think of it this way, think of the annual, seaonal transition between Winter and Summer. Not smooth, there are three steps forward and two steps backward. Weather is temporary, climate wants to be more permanent. In the meantime, expect more bizarre weather to be the new normal.

P.S., there are air quality warnings from Connecticut to Maryland. Not sure if this is related to the Canadian and Alaskan wild fires buring out of control, but the local news is reporting that the smoke is in the area, visible on radar, and causing colorful sunsets.

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked blue bayou
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

Alaska Hit 90 not 80

My first car got 37 mpg, second and 3rd got 52 mpg. My 4 car ,a 4 cylinder 5 speed manual trans minivan, got 33 MPG. My house uses 40% the fuel of a normal house my size and I eat foods low on the resource draining load. I have 0 children as I have genetic health problem that I did not want to pass on. I have done more than my share and have nothing to worry about because I have no children. I am waiting for others to kick in their responsibilities for they do have children.

68 million years ago our planet was pole to pole 30F warmer on average than today and life was BOOMING to the hilt. The south pole was heavily forested and dinosaurs were plentiful/plenty-full'

I will continue conserving but I still love the heat and growing season I now have.

Steve

4 years ago

I wish the "pull up the ladder, I'm up" thinking would end, and we could save the planet for the long haul.

• bklyn citrus (zone 7B)
    4 years ago

The planet will survive. Eventually, Humans who are like breeding like cockroaches with that technology and health care induced long life span may not. Wildfires are normal but used to be people had common sense to not live in areas that were prone to that. When you built a farm you cleared the land especially in the direction of prevailing winds. Hurricanes are normal, we had a house on a hill near the ocean but not on the ocean - common sense, but now look at the crowded shorelines. After a disaster property values plummet, 5 years later its a boom town again. Yes, we should continue to try to be cleaner, the waters and air in NY are cleaner than ever (no industry anymore we sent it to China where they pollute themselves creating crap we need, to make money to feed the billions there). Another conventional world war or global pandemic would do wonders. Computers pollute, phones pollute, modern life pollutes - reality. Killing any semblence of an economy or a way of life to save nobody isn't helpful either....the sky is falling. multiple deadlines for armegeddon have passed we're all still here. In NY activists and pandering pols refusal to allow a natural gas pipeline (pretty clean burn) has now stopped all new gas hookups and upgrades for NYC and Westchester - a great green victory - maybe a solar panel will heat the house and office tower in winter in the northeast. True ground breakers of cheap limitless clean energy are a century away. Nuclear fusion (not fission) may yet happen...in another 100 years. They may yet find a way to harness hydrogen efficiently in another 50 years. Solar panels and windmills wont do it. Many current scenarios of GREEN only makes matters worse

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked bklyn citrus (zone 7B)
    4 years ago

I wish we had 50 years or 100 years to clean up our act, but we are in crisis NOW, and the clock is ticking. As long as we have the self-serving 1% running not only this country but most countries in Central and South America, Africa, the Middle East and much of Asia I see little hope of change. If the billionaires of the world would get together I still see some hope that this crisis could at least be stemmed to some degree, although we are coming at this much too late to halt anything, I'm afraid. We were already warned in the 1970's and now, almost 50 years later, almost nothing is being done. You can't say we weren't given the chance, but we squandered it.

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

They just tore down another 60 acres of trees near my home to make room for another mall, which we have no need for. It's getting pretty bad around here. Now a bear was found wondering in the neighborhood. When will this stop?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

No it won't mike. perhaps you will get more sun now

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked poncirusguy6b452xx