FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
perennialfan275

Anyone else notice there's a lot less Japanese beetles this year?

perennialfan275
3 years ago

In my area at least, that seems to be the case. In fact, I don't remember seeing a single one so far this year. And I don't think it's a coincidence. I don't know if this is what killed them (or if they even died in the first place), but my theory is that because of the rain we had this spring, it actually drowned the larva. The fields were so saturated this year a lot of farmers weren't even able to get their crops planted because the seed would just get washed away. I know the farmers had a hard year, but if this excessive rain is what killed the beetles I honestly would not mind if it happened again. While it's true a lot of fields got planted late (some never got planted at all it was so bad), I almost think this flooding was a blessing in disguise if it means we didn't have to deal with the beetles this year. Another thing worth mentioning is if the beetle larva drown it means the farmers won't have to spray as much (right?). I don't know about you, but I wouldn't mind having a few less chemicals on my produce.

Comments (39)