SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prowleyb

48" dual fuel range - Clearance on each side 12"??

I was planning to purchase a Jennair 48" dual fuel range to insert between two lower cabinets. The installation guidelines state a 12" allowance on both sides of the range which seems unrealistic. Pictures I see online show the range with the cupboards/counter butting up to the range. I checked with the Jennair chat room and they tell me that the guide stating 12" is referring to combustable items that may be on the counter beside the range that could catch fire. I dont want to buy the range if i am going to have to have a 12" space on both sides of the it. Should I trust what Jennair is saying?

Comments (6)

• damiarain
    4 years ago

I think there's just a misunderstanding of terms... the "combustable material" distance generally refers to i.e. a nearby side wall, not cabinets+countertops.

The bit about not putting combustable items on your counters, near the range... I guess? =) Like, don't have drapes for a window hanging down next to your range... but something like a ceramic utensil caddy wouldn't be a problem....

Patricia Rowley-Boers thanked damiarain
  • Pam A
    4 years ago

That does seem nutty. So, you can't put a potholder down within a foot of the stove? Or a wooden spoon on a spoon rest? I wouldn't pile cedar shavings and dryer lint near my stove but cotton, wood, and plastic are all pretty combustible. How far are they expecting the flames to shoot out the sides?

Patricia Rowley-Boers thanked Pam A
  • PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Pretty standard clearances. Read the installation diagrams. The clearances usually are in relation to flammable surfaces (wood, cabinet uppers, unprotected walls, some synthetic/resin slabs).

Keep the uppers 18"+ above the adjacent counters for 12" min. Hood has a minimum height also.

Patricia Rowley-Boers thanked Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
  • DrB477
    4 years ago

12" to a wall, full height cabinet or similar structure, not a base cabinet.

Patricia Rowley-Boers thanked DrB477
  • PRO
    Design Loft Bracebridge
    4 years ago

Check your local building codes as well. Some state that you need to be a minimum of 18", side to side, from any combustibles at counter height. I'm in Ontario, Canada, & our Provincial building code states the 18", side to side, & from countertop up to combustible (cabinet &/or light rail)

Patricia Rowley-Boers thanked Design Loft Bracebridge