SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellyrl

Reading Specs Sheets to judge Faucet Quality

Kelly Lemay
4 years ago

I am shopping for bathroom faucets and have read many of the comments here about watching out for quality, not buying from big box stores, metal vs plastic internal parts, etc. I am trying to figure out what I should be looking for in the specs. I just opened up some spec sheets to compare some chrome faucets and this is what I notice.

Kohler Margaux ($450): says "brass construction, brass valve bodies"

Kohler Rubicon ($135 made for Home Depot model): says nothing about brass, says "premium metal construction" (what type of metal?)

American Standard Townsend ($250): says "brass construction, cast brass valve bodies"

Delta Dryden ($278): says "Solid brass fabricated end valve and spout bodies" and "Control mechanism is a rotating cylinder with stainless steel plate and 90 ̊ rotation, with replaceable non-metallic seats operating in stainless steel lined sockets."

I opened another Kohler made for Home Depot model ($140) and found again the "premium metal construction"

So I was expecting this pattern to continue, but then I saw Kohler Memoirs ($440) says only "premium metal construction."

I looked at a Delta faucet made for Lowes ($130) and it says "Solid brass fabricated end valve body." and says "Control mechanism is a rotating cylinder type with stainless steel plate and 90° rotation, with replaceable non-metallic seats." (almost like the Dryden but without mentioning stainless steel lined sockets).

They all mention ceramic disk valves.

Can someone please help me decode this stuff? Is there something else I should be looking for in the information? Metal vs plastic pop-up? I have no clue how a faucet is built. I am remodeling two bathrooms and right now I'm leaning towards Delta Dryden in venetian bronze and American Standard Townsend in chrome. Does it sound like these are good quality?

Thanks!

Comments (8)