Floof! Staple storage.

amylou321

Pantry staples that is. Most people I know store flour,sugar,etc. in some sort of plastic container. And I am no exception. I can only think of one person of my acquaintance that stores such things in the bags they come in. I would be scared to attract mice! How do you store your staples?

SaveComment31Like
Comments (31)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amylou321

The 3 on the bottom are metal. I love them.

4 Likes Save    
bpath Oh Sophie

When I worked in a Hilton Hotel, the kitchen staff gave me some of those big jars that food like pickles came in. I was in Texas so needed to use glass jars against the bugs. They were great! But a little bulky to use, needing two hands to take out of the cabinet. When I moved north and had kids, I switched to clear-ish Tupperware. I still have the big jars, though!

Save     Thanked by amylou321
maifleur01

There are a few things I store in containers but the chance of spoilage especially of things that contain natural oils are too high to put them in anything plastic. Some metal containers like the last picture have enough gap but the gap also will allow grain beetles and moths to lay their eggs in the crack between lid and container. They can work their way up if the top is light enough and spoil the whole thing. I purchase the smallest size that I can use and if it spoils or develops bugs I just pitch it. I do not like the smell of oil that has gone rancid in so many things.

maifleur01

I do wonder how you tell where and when you purchased something if you toss away the container. I seldom purchase everything from one store or brand.

amylou321

Well, I dont really have trouble remembering any of that. For certain things I am brand loyal so that's a no brainer. For other things like sugar I feel like one brand is the same as the other, so again, no brainer for me.

As for when, well if it's been so long that i cant remember that, i dont feel bad about tossing it and replacing it. I buy smaller amounts and rotate frequently,since it's just 2 of us.

Save    
bpath Oh Sophie

maifleur, when I lived in Texas we always put bags of flour etc in the freezer for a week or so before decanting into jars. It seemed to take care of the eggs.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
Kool Beans

I don’t cook or bake as much as I used to so I don’t keep a lot in the way of staples, I do keep some flour bagged and in the freezer. Rice and any other staples are in air tight containers in the pantry.

Maefleur, If I think I’ll need that information for later, I put it on a sticky note and tape it on the inside of the container lid.

Lucille

Amylou what a beautiful pink set!! I store in large plastic containers. Some of the containers are stored in the refrigerator to deter grain beetles and weevils, particularly more expensive stuff like the Muesli mix I buy that has nuts and grains and raisins.

maifleur01

bpath we had a major infestation a couple of years ago of grain moths and occasionally, like today, I find one some where. One moth if bred can lay lots of eggs so while putting things in the freezer will prevent those from hatching it does not prevent new eggs from being laid. I have the moth traps scattered around the house an the last time I checked I had 5 moths. Seeing that one today is a reminder to open the last ones and purchase more. For some reason you can buy in the store during the winter but not the summer when they are more active.

Rose Pekelnicky

I store my staples in Tupperware canisters which I have had for about 40 yrs.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
PRO
Anglophilia

FLour, sugar and powdered sugar are in stainless canisters that are tightly sealed. Extra flour is in the basement refrigerator's freezer. Extra sugar is in a drawer in it's own bag.

Rice is stored in clear plastic OXO "Pop" containers. Love those things! Great for oatmeal and granola as well. I like that they're clear - can see what I have and how much. I also store brown sugar in one. They come in multiple shapes and sizes. Target and other such places carry them.

nicole___

No mice or bugs. I keep a glass jar of sugar on the counter just for convenience and it's cute, for filling the hummingbird feeders. I have about 80lbs of sugar still in the paper bags it comes in, stored in the pantry. I have a large yellow plastic tupperware exactly like Rose has I store regular flour in. Just keeps it separate from the King Arthur self rising flour still sitting in the paper bags it comes in.

morz8

No mice or bugs here either. I keep rice in a cabinet, along with oatmeal, corn meal etc. Flour and sugar are in tin canisters in my baking cupboard, powdered sugar and brown sugar in plastic tightly lidded containers alongside.

I do keep specialty flours like my flour for bread and self rising in the bags it comes in - but the largest I typically buy of any of that type product is 10 #s. I do Costco sizes on lots of things including rice sometimes but not flour or sugar.

My Aunt lived on Guam approx 28 years...everything was frozen. Sugar, flour, cereals, bread, her spices...she couldn't keep staples in a cupboard without getting bugs.

Fun2BHere

I have these in the pantry for flour, sugar and baking soda. They are the last plastic storage containers that I own. I'd like to replace them with glass, but I haven't found any container that I like as well.

watchmelol

Tupperware. The real trademarked product. I use some TW canisters along with a lot of Modular Mates and Freezer Mates. Smaller items like nuts, baking chips, rice or beans are sometime grouped in larger Modular mates in their original packaging.

1 Like Save     Thanked by amylou321
yeonassky

Everything gets stored in the freezer in glass or plastic containers or the packaging they came in. We have had both mice and moth problems but not for the last 15 years since I started storing things in the fridge and freezer. It is very bad here in BC. Many places that I work at have an ongoing moth problem particularly but mice encroach as well.

marilyn_c

In the freezer.

nickel_kg

Growing up, my mom decanted flour, sugar, rice, and cornmeal into rubbermaid containers. So of course I did the same, for most of my adult life. Recently I've purged my ancient rubbermaid for new, BPA-free plastic containers. The new containers are sized to take the product, bag and all. Came in handy this week for the KAF flour recall, I was able to confirm my flour was okay. In the past I wouldn't have had a clue because the bag would have been long gone. I keep backup flour, sugar, etc on the pantry shelf wrapped in the plastic grocery bag it was bought in. We enjoy grocery shopping almost every day, so no need to store much in the way of spare product.

Once I had to discard a paper bag of specialty flour (seminola) due to bugs, but to be fair it was two or three years old.

We've had mice in the house a few times over the years, but the only thing they've eaten is a stick of butter I left on the counter to thaw. Little tiny teeth marks all along the top, lol! (and yuck).

aok27502

Some flour and sugar are stored in Rubbermaid containers in the pantry. Any backup supply is stored in the freezer, along with rice and cornmeal.. We've never had bugs or mice except one time when I brought some stuff home from my Moms. She was cleaning out her pantry and, oops, it had bugs. But that was years ago.

rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I have numerous air tight stainless steel containers for my dry goods storage and prefer them over the glass, which is so heavy. I use Dry Erase markers to keep track of purchase dates, types of flour, etc., though I usually keep the product in its original packaging while in the stainless container.

When I lived in the deep south, we all had to be vigilant against flour moths and grain beetles, it was terrible. Haven't seen the first one here in the upper south location.

Anne

I live next to a dairy farm so everything is in a plastic or glass container to discourage the mice. Mine is not as pretty as the other picture, so I won’t show you guys!

Jasdip

I keep the bag of flour in an airtight plastic pail. For everyday use, I keep it in a cookie jar on the counter (along with white sugar and tea bags in the others)

raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

For several years my mother bought a brand of instant coffee that came in tall, square glass jars. She saved them and shared with me, and I also kept the ones she had. I keep all my pasta, dried beans and peas, rice, sugar, flour, nuts, popcorn and so forth in those jars ( and smaller quantities of such things are in pint glass canning jars). Because they are square they fit efficiently into storage space. I've changed many of the lids from the original plastic to tighter sealing ones.

I don't go through flour quickly at all so those jars stay in the freezer. The dried legumes and any excess pasta, sugar, nuts stay in the cool, dry basement, where a dehumidifier runs much of the year, until I've used up the current jar in the kitchen.

I haven't had a mouse in the house for a few years, but have in the past, so instead of keeping boxed mixes in the kitchen I have a clean plastic lidded cat litter bin that I store them in, also in the basement even though with my kitchen remodel I now have room to keep them upstairs.

Raye Smith

I'm thinking about replacing my Rubbermaid containers since I can't find any information as to if they are BPA free or not. Looking at Sistema brand.

watchmelol

BPA was used in polycarbonate plastics. Those are the harder, clearer plastics that you could see through. The harder surface was more stain resistant. The more rubbery or flexible opaque type of food storage containers never had BPA in them.

The trend now is to put the BPA Free label on everything. That is like putting a trans fat free label on a package of dried peas.

OutsidePlaying

Rose, I have the same green Tupperware containers from 40+ years ago. Still working just fine, and I have a couple of other colors too and a few Rubbermaid containers. I also have some Oxo containers I purchased for pasta and rice. They are ok but I don’t think they seal as well as Tupperware.

Raye Smith

Watchme, this is what I found about the Rubbermaid containors: http://www.rubbermaid.com/en-US/learn-bpa#bpa

Apparently there was a line of containers that did have BPA in them, fortunately I don't have them.

sprtphntc7a

most of staples are in mason jars, easy to see and relatively cheap.

got rid of all my plastic containers. they stained and i felt were never clean. i use all glass containers now, mostly pyrex. its great b/c we can heat up our leftovers in the container. i would never microwave food in plastic container, afraid of chemicals leaching into the food.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

We had the dreaded pantry moths in our Dallas house. They came in bird seed for my bird. What a pain. I had those same Tupperware canisters too! Lost my last one in the flood. Several of them had the lids crack. I was pushing down in the center as you were supposed to do to seal them and my hand went right through. Just split open. I hated losing them. Now I use the old style locking lid jars with the metal lock down clamps and heavy rubber seals. I have a couple that are hard plastics too. Rice is always kept in the freezer. I buy small bags of flour and sugar which fit bag and all into the jars for storage in the pantry.

1 Like Save     Thanked by amylou321
ladypat1

I have the same canisters for flour, sugar etc in a dusty blue. Had to have been bought in early 80's! Throw mixes such as pancake, cake, muffin in freezer.

'

Raye Smith

S - I never microwave plastic either! Anymore when I put something I've made like cookies in a plastic container I line it with waxpaper first.

Related Stories

Kitchen Appliances Stash It All: Know the 3 Zones of Kitchen Storage
Organize storage space around the kitchen’s main activities for easier cooking and flow
Full Story
Decluttering The Case for Hidden Storage
Imagine how much more peaceful your home would feel with cleared surfaces. And that’s just one reason to stow your supplies
Full Story
Storage 3 Sneaky Storage Spots
Your home has more room for storage than you think. Maximize every inch with these clever organizing solutions
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: Smart Storage for Collections and Craft Supplies
Organize to your heart’s content with creative solutions for keeping all kinds of things neat
Full Story
DIY Projects Ultimate Storage Solution for Your Measuring Cups
Tired of losing your measuring cups and spoons? This DIY kitchen-organizing trick will keep them all right at hand
Full Story
Most Popular Storage Tricks for Those Who Love Their Stuff
Get ideas for clearing the decks without getting rid of all the lovely things you want to keep around
Full Story
Most Popular 10 Ways to Get More Storage Out of Your Space
Just when you think you can’t possibly fit all your stuff, these storage ideas come to the rescue
Full Story
Laundry Rooms 12 Smart Storage Solutions to Reduce Clutter
Incorporate these nifty drawer inserts, pullouts and other innovative ideas to bring organization to your home
Full Story
Woodworking DIY Home: Add Open-Shelf Storage for Less Than $40
Got an empty wall and overflowing cabinets and drawers? Curb the clutter with inexpensive open shelves you can install in a day
Full Story