Good laptop for a bad typist

l pinkmountain

My husband is a terrible typist and gets frustrated easily. He hates using the screen typing pad on his smartphone and isn't good at it. Same with his tablet. I want to get him an old-school laptop with big square sturdy keys for his birthday. The kind where you don't accidentally hit a key next to another one. Any recommendations? I have a Dell which I kind of like, although the keys' markings wore off.

I should also probably get him one of those tablet tip "pens" for his other devices!

SaveComment12Like
Comments (12)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

I've used several laptops and have never run across any that had a good keyboard compared to the full-size Keytronic keyboards on my desktops. I hate laptop keyboards.

Save    
zep516

perhaps you could find an external usb keyboard.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

As far as typing on a smartphone, there are two good alternatives to consider and maybe more. I use these two instead of trying to have my fat fingers hit small keyboard images, which is nearly impossible:

1) use voice input (it's like giving dictation) or

2) use finger swipes on the keyboard.

Both are fast after having a bit of practice but both work very well.

Save    
l pinkmountain

Yes he does that. But he does a lot of business online, filling out online forms, reading through documents, etc. He hates his phone and voice input and swiping are just as prone to mistakes as fat fingers typing. Nothing is perfect. I chose my laptop based on the keyboard and ease of typing and I'm relatively good at it. I am just wondering if anyone has a laptop they LIKE the keyboard on for typing. My current Dell one is OK so I might look into them. I had a Sony Vaio that I loved but I was not happy with the overall durability of that brand.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I just bought a USB keyboard for $10. It can be used with any PC, laptop included. I don't think the keyboard on a laptop is a limiting factor if there's desk space to add a keyboard.

Save    
mtvhike

I agree with Elmer. I would get a USB keyboard which includes the numeric keypad on the right. I would also get a USB mouse; (make sure your laptop has at least 2 USB ports). I find the mouse more necessary than the keyboard but usually I use both.

Save    
mike_kaiser_gw

Lenovo Thinkpads consistently get high marks for their keyboards, so that might be a place to start. Thinkpads are a bit pricey compared to similarly configured mainstream laptops though.

I use a Logitech K380 Bluetooth keyboard when I need to compose longer messages on my Android phone or iPad. It's by no means a "great" keyboard but with some practice I can type pretty fast and accurately. I think the keyboard was about $30 and Logitech has some other models of "mobile" keyboards as well.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I agree with mike's comments about Thinkpads. This was a product line started by IBM and sold to Lenovo ages ago when IBM got out of the PC business. They're the best laptops as far as I'm concerned and have been for a long time. They're also not inexpensive but you get what you pay for. Lenovo also has lower cost product families and they're okay but not the same.

Save    
acraftylady

My son loves his ThinkPad. I have a lenovo yoga laptop and like it just fine but if I had seen the think pad before getting this would have got think pad for traveling. He does a lot of his college work on it. The school gives him a supplies stipend so he went with that.

Save    
l pinkmountain

I have a Logitech keyboard which I could get out. Seems a waste when a laptop already has a keyboard. I only got it when I spilled coffee on my old, old laptop and couldn't buy a replacement keyboard anymore. I don't know if I can configure it to hubs tablet, the tablet was a cheapie one he got from Amazon. That would be great though. I basically want to get myself a nice new laptop and turn over my old Dell to husband. I don't want him using my computers, he is not savvy and gets viruses easily. But if we can use my Logitech keyboard with his tablet, I can save the money to buy something else, like a week's vacation!!

Save    
acraftylady

He shouldn't be getting viruses if he has good protection and is not going on questionable sites. I would suggest going into a store and test out the laptop keyboards in person. I use my phone and tablet for everything now and love swipe. There isn't anything I can't do on my mobile devices. My tablet has word, excel and power point and has almost a 10 inch screen. I have a battery wireless keyboard I can use with it. My friend loves her Microsoft surface Pro tablet and keyboard as it runs windows. Mary

Save    
l pinkmountain

He's just a bad clicker! I've talked to him about it repeatedly but he ignores me. His phone is full of junk apps that he unwittingly downloads. He gets hundreds of junk e-mails a day, etc. I have virus protection but somehow, something got through. I can't even use his phone, the interface is so busy and slow.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life How Your Home Can Heal a Bad Day
The comforts of home can be a soothing tonic for those days when nothing goes right
Full Story
Organizing How to Conquer Kitchen Counter Clutter, Maybe for Good
Figuring out exactly what’s taking over your work surfaces is half the battle
Full Story
Life Is Your Bedroom Designed for a Good Night’s Sleep?
Find out how the right nightstands, bedding, rugs, TV and storage can help you get more restful slumber
Full Story
For nearly 20 years Grow Landscapes, Inc. has proven to be a leader in the industry in terms of design,... Read More