SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ckerr007

Oriental poppy - Blooms and advice

ckerr007
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

This beautiful girl started blooming this morning, would have to check tag for variety:

One minor problem with her I could use some advice on. Last summer when she was just dormant I thought she was dead and gone, so I planted a Pinus mugo ‘Sherwood Compact’ in the open space. You can see it to the left of the poppy in the first photo. Obviously the poppy was fine and now stands at about 3.5’ tall by 2’ wide and is crowding out the Pinus. Also you can see that the poppy is in the front of the border because everything here is planted under mature white pines so full sun sites that both the poppy and Pinus need are at the front of the border and hard to come by. My questions are, first do I move the Pinus or the poppy to give them both the space and sun they need? I think I’ve read that poppies are tricky to move. And second, could you live with this ridiculously huge but beautiful poppy at the front of your border, where moving it back in the border deeper under the pines wouldn’t provide it full sun? The poppy is doing so well I really don’t want to disturb her but aesthetically she is completely out of place. Thanks for any input.

Comments (8)