SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bosewichte

do I *NEED* a greenhouse...or just grow lights?

bosewichte
4 years ago

I live in zone 6a/6b and have been considering an 8' x 10' or 12' greenhouse. I'm not interested in overwintering plants or necessarily growing out-of-season veggies. I'm more interested in flowers...I'm looking for a way to start large flats of seeds 6 - 8 weeks early so that I can put older plants into my beds instead of seeds...some veggies too.

I have an unheated garage with a little space, but I'd really prefer an area strictly devoted to plant propagation. Greenhouses make me a little nervous. There's the initial rather large investment of around $1000 for the bare-bones greenhouse itself...and what 'accessories,' then, are needed? Some people seem to use grow lights in greenhouses, but others don't. Do I need fans, or can I just prop open the windows? I'd love some advice from people who have them. I have a 5 1/2 acre hobby farm and I want to spread a LOT of perennial beds around, so I'm going to need a pretty big space. I just like tinkering with plant propagation in general but want the best/most economical system for my needs - whatever that might be! :)

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (15)